Rescued cat - why didn't they spay?

Old August 29th 04, 12:37 AM
Tracy

From: Darkchild

Well I've had her for a month
- and no one from the group has contacted me with an spay appointment
time.

Do you have a contract number for the cat? Call the shelter and ask for
it....tell them you are taking the cat in to be fixed and need the number so
they can be billed.
Or, talk to the vet, tell them its a shelter kitty and you dont have the
contract number...if they do business with the shelter, they should know how to
go about billing them.

Good luck, Tracy
Old August 29th 04, 12:37 AM
Tracy

Old August 29th 04, 12:56 AM
Sherry

hould I keep her confined to the bathroom until then? I put her food
and litter in there and I've been checking on her every hour. She has
meowed and scratched a bit but I think she's sleeping. Her peeing on
the carpet has really gotten worse in the past day or so. Her litter box
is clean and I use corncob clumping litter with the Arm and Hammer
deodorizer sprinkled on top.

This is my first cat so I'm a bit nervous about the whole thing.

Thanks again,

DC

Don't worry about confining her to the bathroom; that's what I would do. Go in
and play with her, but she'll be fine. The less chance she has to pee on the
carpet, the less chance it's going to become a habitual behavior. One thing you
might do is to treat the pee spots with a good enzyme cleaner. To get the smell
out as much as you can, and she won't be as tempted to use those spots again
once she's back from being spayed.

Sherry

Old August 29th 04, 01:44 AM
Mary

"Darkchild" wrote in message

Should I keep her confined to the bathroom until then?

I don't think it will hurt. You really do need to nip the inappropriate
peeing in the bud--especially since you rent.

[...]

This is my first cat so I'm a bit nervous about the whole thing.

Dark Child: Bless you for rescuing her! I know she will bring you great joy.
Everyone is right about just getting her spayed and then dealing with the
shelter people. I would let the top people know how they failed you both.

Keep us posted, come here and ask anything at all. You will need to get her
some good scratching things, so she won't scratch on stuff you don't want
her too. I got two scratchpads, one that sits on the floor and has catnip in
it, and one that is on an incline and also has catnip. Since I got them, my
rescue Cheeky never goes near the furniture to scratch. It isn't a fun for
her to scratch. Good luck. Cats in heat are a PIA, but you two will get
through this!

Old August 29th 04, 01:45 AM
Mary

"Sherry " wrote in message
Don't worry about confining her to the bathroom; that's what I would do.

Go in
and play with her, but she'll be fine. The less chance she has to pee on

the
carpet, the less chance it's going to become a habitual behavior. One

thing you
might do is to treat the pee spots with a good enzyme cleaner. To get the

smell
out as much as you can, and she won't be as tempted to use those spots

again
once she's back from being spayed.

DC--Just wanted to say that Sherry is right, this is really important. Have
you got
a Petsmart near you? I went a couple of weeks ago and was amazed at how
cheap things
were. You can also get good scratchpads at WalMart.