Francis' "little procedure"

Old February 2nd 05, 12:24 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Justin L at
wrote on 2/1/05 6:01 PM:

Priscilla H. Ballou wrote:
Well, Francis had his cold trip in his carrier this morning. OK, not so
cold since he had a hot water bottle (it was 11 F so I relented) and was
traveling on my lap in the cab of my neighbor's pickup truck. I dropped
him off at about 7:45, and around 9:30 I got a call from the vet that
Francis was done with surgery, was a little groggy, and would sleep for
the afternoon. I had also asked them to clip his claws, and he got
chipped while he was under.

I go pick up my little baby after work, and my neighbor will drive us
home.

I know this was the right thing to do, and that it'll be for his good,
but part of me is feeling sad. He's a beautiful young male, with very
distinct and bulgy balls. He could have been the icon of healthy
maleness. Those distinctive balls are gone now, and so is some of his
maleness. I feel sad about that, while I know I wouldn't have
considered doing anything different.

Does anyone else experience this when they have their cats neutered?

Priscilla

My kitten Elwood went in for the snippage today too!

I thought he would be all mellow and relaxed once I got him home, but he
is very hyper!

I guess he doesn't miss them that much.

Hope your Francis recovery goes well too.

Justin

Oh my gosh your kitten is named Elwood!! How CUTE!! My mom was engaged to an
Elwood once and I just thought it was a great name.

Old February 2nd 05, 12:29 AM
Mary

"Justin L" wrote in message
om...

My kitten Elwood went in for the snippage today too!

I thought he would be all mellow and relaxed once I got him home, but he
is very hyper!

I guess he doesn't miss them that much.

Good for you for getting Elwood snipped. He's such
a cute boy.

Old February 2nd 05, 12:42 AM
sue and dave

"Cathy Friedmann" wrote in message

"sue and dave" wrote in message
Sue
( yep, the Western Maine one)

That's what I was wondering, too. ;-)

Cathy

Ayuh, one and the same.

lose the mind for private e-mail.

Old February 2nd 05, 01:20 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message
Maynard was neutered 18 years ago as a 6 month old kitten. I was
nervous the actual day simply because there is always a risk. But
other than that, no qualms at all.

I was 14 years old, and I paid for it with my newspaper route money.
You see Maynard was a kitten from an unplanned pregnancy. His mom
chewed through a screen window and escaped. She had 8 kittens, and
Maynard was the smallest of the 3 runts. He was hand fed from day one.
When it came to time to give away the kittens, we were getting ready
to move back from Iowa to Washington. My mom mistakenly thought that
keeping a kitten would keep her cat from going into season again. So,
we kept the last kitten, who happened to be the ugliest - Maynard.

That was in In August. We got to Seattle, and posted pics of him. He
was offered for free, but he was so ugly at that time (and bright blue
in the pics) that we never got a single phone call.

By November, I was hooked. He was sleeping on my bed, eating my food,
and just plain my cat. I went to me dad and asked if I could have for
Christmas. And I would pay for him to be neutered. Christmas came and
went. No word from Dad. (Back then, he wasn't big on animals, and we
already had 3 cats and 2 dogs). The day after Christmas, I asked him
if I could keep Maynard, and he replied, "I guess so. Nobody else
seems to want him."

I think it cost me $30-35 to get him neuetered. A whole month's
earnings from that paper route. But I sure was happy to keep him. And
I still have him. He isn't the brighest, but he is the sweetest. And
he wasn't ugly for very long. I'd still kill to find those blue pics
though. One of these days, I am going to dig through my mom's boxes of
negatives. Gotta be in there somewhere.

Maynard is one fine cat, and I have never regretted it for a second.

A cool story! Maynard turned out to be one lucky kitten - & is obviously
still one lucky cat, & you were one clear-thinking, goal-oriented, &
responsible 14 yr. old! :-)

Cathy

Old February 2nd 05, 02:45 AM
Cheryl

On Tue 01 Feb 2005 03:44:16p, Priscilla H. Ballou wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav ):

Does anyone else experience this when they have their cats
neutered?

Purrs for Francis to feel back to himself soon. I don't have any
experience with this other than Rhett, current hoolikitten. He seems
no different to me now, about a month and a half later. He also had a
big pair of dangly doodads.

--
Cheryl
Old February 2nd 05, 03:51 AM
Cheryl

On Tue 01 Feb 2005 07:20:54p, Karen Chuplis wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

There is just more to being
a boy and girl than hormones alone I believe otherwise they
would all behave the same and not have such distinctive traits.

I can remember years ago how all neutered pets were called "it"
rather than he/her. It just not so!

--
Cheryl
Old February 2nd 05, 03:52 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-02, Meghan Noecker penned:

That was in In August. We got to Seattle, and posted pics of him. He was
offered for free, but he was so ugly at that time (and bright blue in the
pics) that we never got a single phone call.

Okay, I've seen ugly babies, but I have *never* seen an ugly kitten. I want
to see these blue pictures! Does he have three ears or something?

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old February 2nd 05, 12:14 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Meghan Noecker at
wrote on 2/2/05 3:46AM:

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 20:52:46 -0700, "Monique Y. Mudama"

On 2005-02-02, Meghan Noecker penned:

That was in In August. We got to Seattle, and posted pics of him. He was
offered for free, but he was so ugly at that time (and bright blue in the
pics) that we never got a single phone call.

Okay, I've seen ugly babies, but I have *never* seen an ugly kitten. I want
to see these blue pictures! Does he have three ears or something?

Okay. Here is the early kitten photo. The main one we used to promote
him. I still carry it to show that ugly kittens do get better.

http://www.zoocrewphoto.com/cats/maynard1.jpg

This one was taken about 2 years ago. I'll have to scan more pics. I
have more recent pics as well as some older ones, though not the
really bright blue ones (can't find those). I have a nice one taken a
few weeks ago, but I gotta figure out where I put it.

http://www.zoocrewphoto.com/cats/maynard8.jpg

--
Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography

Ack! He is still cute. The tips of his ears curled!!

Old February 2nd 05, 04:58 PM
Priscilla H. Ballou

On 2005-02-01, Priscilla H. Ballou penned:

Does anyone else experience this when they have their cats neutered?

It's definitely a little bit sad to me. When I was nine years old, I cried
the day Puma (RB, dog) was snipped. But unfortunately, given the reality (way
too many unwanted pets, behavioral issues, and the inability to teach pets
"safer sex"), it's the best thing. At least in my opinion.

Oh, definitely. But sometimes the best decision can have accompanying feelings.

The spay procedure on girls is a lot more invasive than the neutering
procedure on boys. If I had thought it reasonable not to do this to Oscar, I
would have avoided it. But I'm glad she had it done.

I wonder if I'd react the same way if Francis were Frances and had been
spayed. Francis had big beautiful bulgy balls, and they are very
obviously Not There Anymore. It's a visible reminder of the loss.

BTW, he's home now and doing just fine. I'm probably seeing what I
expect, but he already seems to be behaving less agressively towards his
older siblings. This is a Good Thing.
;-)

Priscilla