My cat scared me

Old September 30th 04, 08:45 PM
Mary

Default My cat scared me

Yesterday my old cat Patches http://www.mary.cc/patches/ was sitting next to my
feet in my home office. I decided to let my midget skunk in the house to run
around. I'm training him to be an educational animal for my wildlife rescue
group. Here's a pic of him and Patches. He's grown a little since then but is
still the size of a 7 week old kitten.

http://www.animaladvocates.us/images/areyoumymommy.jpg

Anyway, the skunk is in the house running around and having fun. Now Patches
doesn't like the skunk. He will hiss and growl at him, then he'll slap his paw
in front of the skunk on the ground. The midget skunk understands this and
walks a wide circle around him. Patches is four times the size of the skunk so
maybe the skunk thinks he's a big skunk.

Well yesterday Patchy is sleeping and the midget skunk comes up to him...and
pokes him. Then he licks his tail and sniffs his face! Patchy's eyes are closed
and he isn't moving. Patchy should have woken up and at least waved a sharp paw
over the skunks head. I go over to Patchy and say "Patchy, Patchy, are you
okay!" He doesn't move and seems stiff! I look at his eyes. Only the whites are
showing! I said to my husband a little loud "I think Patchy had a heart
attack!" then Patches wakes up with a look on his face like "I just had a heart
attack? When did this happen?" Then he sees the skunk and waves a sharp paw in
his direction, tries to hiss but ends up just coughing. He's kind of old.

I guess he was just sleeping super soundly. He sure scared me. Darn cat.
Old September 30th 04, 08:59 PM
Karen

Oh Mary, it's kind of sad and funny at the same time!! I think it's very
funny that he did the paw waving even though it was way too late. How old
do you think Patchy is? I know other posters here have had incidents like
that and their cats weren't that old. I love that picture of Patch and the
skunk.

Karen

Old September 30th 04, 09:06 PM
TBird

What great photos!

TBird --- ha! cute skunk!

Old September 30th 04, 09:06 PM
TBird

What great photos!

TBird --- ha! cute skunk!

Old September 30th 04, 10:23 PM
mlbriggs

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 19:45:45 +0000, Mary wrote:

[...]

My TuTu did that about a month ago. I really had trouble awakening her.
When she finally stirred, she stretched out and yawned as much to say "I
had the best dream". For a minute or so, I was sure she was at the
Bridge. MLB

Old September 30th 04, 11:06 PM

Mary wrote:

http://www.animaladvocates.us/images/areyoumymommy.jpg

Great picture! Patches does kind of look like the skunk's mommy.

I know what you mean about getting scared when the cat doesn't respond
at all. Especially when they're old! It's a special kind of b*stard cat
trick which could almost give *you* the heart attack.

Joyce