HELP! My cat runs my house!

Old November 23rd 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AR[_2_]

Default HELP! My cat runs my house!

We have a 16 lb. nuetered American shorthair that's the man of the
house. If he meows and I don't let him out he goes and pees on my
kitchen rug a few minutes later! He shows his displeasure in peeing on
any rug he can find if he doesn't like something. He also pees in the
little box, and I'm sure this is spite. I've taken up any rug I can,
and have put citronella oil the rest, but no dice. He free feeds and I
have replaced his food dish with the soiled rug for a few hours so he
would get the idea, brought him over to the soiled rug and yelled at
him, put his food dish on top of that rug as I know cats won't eat
where they pee, but he just went over to the other side to access the
dish.

OK, I admit the cat has won! He is very smart, and obviously smarter
than me! Any ideas?
Old November 23rd 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"AR" wrote in message
We have a 16 lb. nuetered American shorthair that's the man of the
house. If he meows and I don't let him out

Stop letting him out. You are confusing him. Confine him to a utility room
or other small room with box, bed, toys, and water, visit him, play with
him, praise him when you see he has gone in the box. After few days, let
him out. First mistake, put him back in there, being sure to visit a lot and
play with him. Never let him out again. He does not neet to go out.

Old November 24th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

1. Have you taken him to a vet recently? It's possible he has urinary
tract issues or another health problem.
2. Please don't yell at him if he urinates elsewhere. It won't do any
good and might make the situation worse.
3. Don't replace his food dish with the soiled rug. He won't
understand why you are doing that, and may associate that with
somewhere he can urinate.
4. How many litter boxes do you have and how often do you scoop them?
Old November 24th 08, 04:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Nov 23, 11:46*am, AR wrote:
We have a 16 lb. nuetered American shorthair that's the man of the
house. If he meows and I don't let him out he goes and pees on my
kitchen rug a few minutes later! He shows his displeasure in peeing on
any rug he can find if he doesn't like something. He also pees in the
little box, and I'm sure this is spite. I've taken up any rug I can,
and have put citronella oil the rest, but no dice. He free feeds and I
have replaced his food dish with the soiled rug for a few hours so he
would get the idea, brought him over to the soiled rug and yelled at
him, put his food dish on top of that rug as I know cats won't eat
where they pee, but he just went over to the other side to access the
dish.

OK, I admit the cat has won! He is very smart, and obviously smarter
than me! Any ideas?

Um... some questions:

a) How old is your cat?
b) Is this new behavior?
c) Is he just large, or is he obese?
d) Has he always had access to the outside?

Aging and/or a change in behavior can be indicative of physical
problems underlying this activity. If he is borderline diabetic, he
will be thirsty most of the time, drink a lot, and have continuous
urgency to urinate. Or, as is often the case, neutered males will have
a (relatively) small urethra and be prone to bladder infections and/or
kidney stones. Being overweight can contribute to all of the above and
if left untreated the results can be very bad - even fatal - and can
progress very, very rapidly.

If he has always had access to the outside, and now you are trying to
stop him, he may act out - but it will very rarely be by scent-marking
or random urination. If, like most cats, he is just on the wrong side
of every door then his outdoor demands may be linked to a physical
condition.

Things you can do - yeah, they seem a little gross - smell his pee, if
you can. Does it have even the slightest sweet scent? Does he pee only
a little bit at a time? Does he run when you scream at him or does he
hold his ground?

Any sweet scent -any at all!! - get him tested SOONEST! That is the
first identifiable obvious indication of diabetes. You can also get a
sugar test at your vet if you can collect enough urine. This is only
an indicator - not proof that he has diabetes, by the way. But it does
give you a place to start.

If he pees only a little at a time, that is often an indication of a
bladder infection or stones.

If he holds his ground, he is definitely not well - he is doing what
he does because he must for some physical reason. His eating next to
his pee is another indication of distress as you are correct in
believing that they prefer to keep those activities separate.

If he has any of the indications noted above and you just lock him in
a small room and hope to modify his behavior - you may as well watch
him die. However, if he is entirely healthy that is a way to do it. Be
sure of your cause before you design the cure.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old November 25th 08, 02:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AR[_2_]

Thanks everyone. I think he's about 8 or 9. A tenant left him. He was
a used cat ;-). He still has a waist, but his stomach hangs a bit. The
behavior started right after I had locked him the bathroom for a half
hour as he wasn't allowing my mom to eat in peace. He peed on the rug
there.We kept the rug up until needed and the behavior stopped even
though there were other rugs he had access to.. I heard rubber backing
attracts them and they are all rubber backed. He also uses the litter
box to pee. I will pay more attention to the amount and scent. He
seems to do though as a protest when he doesn't get what he wants. He
doesn't seem to drink that much. He uses his litter box most of the
time and starts peeing on the rugs when he doesn't get his way or
wants to annoy me.. He hadn't peed on the other rugs for several
months after we took the other one up, but started to in the last few
weeks. I read if there is an infection they associate the litter box
with pain and pee on something soft, but he uses the box daily. He
seems fine otherwise. He does run away when I yell at him.

He's always gone out although I know he shouldn't as he's declawed. I
love to watch him run outside and he can't do that indoors. He will
get heavier I would think. I just don't think it's fair to keep him in
to sit around all day, and sleep and eat. We have loads of windows he
can perch next to and look out, but don't they also need to run and
get exercise? We still let him out it's just not at exactly the time
he wants. He meows his head off and then gets ****ed off literally if
I won't let him out! I don't want to let him out of the apt. as if I
can't go down and open the front door, and no one else lets him out he
pees in the basement as there's no litter box there.

Thanks again guys for all your help.

Old November 25th 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
honeybunch

On Nov 24, 10:48 am, " wrote:

On Nov 23, 11:46 am, AR wrote:

[...]

Your cat has a urinary infection. Could be from the feed he is
getting. It could be an infection,. If you wont take him to a vet
who can diagnose the problem, then dont let the cat in the house.
This has nothing to do with emotional problems of yours or the cat.
its the cats bladder that is causing the problem. It hurts him like
hell.
Old November 25th 08, 06:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"AR" wrote

He's always gone out although I know he shouldn't as he's declawed.

Asshole.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Old November 25th 08, 01:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Nov 24, 8:47*pm, AR wrote:
[...]

You have a lot going on. DO test for a urinary infection, diabetes or
kidney stones before engaging in any disciplinary behavior. Further to
that, if your cat is a good eater (and 16 pounds might suggest that)
you might try getting nutmeg grater and grating a *SMALL* amount of
natural Vitamin C into his food every other day until you have a good
diagnosis for any other problems (and tell your Vet that you are doing
this). This will serve to acidify his urine which will help dissolve
stones (if that is the problem) and flush out any sort of fungal
infection. It WILL NOT help any other sort of infection - but it will
cause a small amount of burning if there is such an infection - and
your cat's reaction will be indicative. Our vet strongly suggests the
Vitamin C treatment for male cats prone to stones as a continuing
preventative treatment, and whenever treating for an infection
suggests it as a palliative during the rest of the treatment. Small =
a few mg. no more. Natural, so that it will not repel the cat. It will
not help for diabetes at all.

Consider that a cat that has been declawed would be as if you had your
fingers cut off at the first knuckle. It is a painful procedure when
it happens and causes continuing irritation for the rest of the cat's
life. You did state that this was a 'used' cat - from the fact that it
has beend declawed it has been very badly used. How you got it - as an
abandoned left-over - suggests the same. Likely the cat bites a bit
more than normal - adaptation to not having claws with which to signal
displeasure. Do understand that cats with this handicap must never be
outdoors without supervision. They are utterly helpless if attacked,
cannot climb properly and cannot even run properly should they need
claws for traction. This adds to your complications.

So, verify that it is healthy. Treat it for any problems you discover.
Once treated, there are enzymatic solvents to remove any traces of old
urine and gentle behavior modification will take care of the rest.

A couple of cautions when it comes to cleaning:

a) Bleach: Do not use bleach immediately around your cat. It is a
perfectly acceptable cleaning agent as long as your cat is not
directly exposed to it or will not walk on a wet bleached surface
(then licking its paws). As you keep reading, bleach may become more
and more attractive.

b) Pine-Sol or any Pine-Oil cleaner: Don't. Ever. Pine oils are
analogous to Phenols and cause quick and often permanent damage to any
of the cat species, large or small. They contain terpenes which
damages their livers and by extension their kidneys. Read any cleaner
labels and keep away from anything containing terpenes (pine oils).
Similarly menthol - less toxic, but still related to terpenes.

c) Anything at all containing Phenol - liquid Lysol or _ANY_ similar
material. Just don't. Toxic in microscopic amounts, fatal in tiny
amounts, and typically such cleaners are designed to leave a
antiseptic residue - not good.

The general rule-of-thumb around cats is any cleaner or solvent that
goes 'milky' in water should be avoided.

You will get through this and the both of you will be happier for it.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old November 25th 08, 03:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Nov 25, 12:30*am, "cybercat" wrote:
"AR" wrote

He's always gone out although I know he shouldn't as he's declawed.

Asshole.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

You are a piece of work - and dangerous to boot.

Had the OP followed your initial advice and her cat (likely) had a
medical condition, your advice would have killed it. Keep that in what
passes for your mind as you read further.

And now you blame her for the declawing? She clearly stated "Used
Cat". From her questions, she is also clearly not a "cat person", nor
has had much experience with cats. Further, she is trying, reading up
on them and coming here. Where she meets a thoughtless jackass - you.
Imagine how much that will turn her on towards asking for advice.

Just a suggestion: you get more flies with honey than with vinegar.
And if your purpose (here) is to make life better for cats, you are
singularly inept at it. You might try educating people with good,
solid advice based on what cats are, how they generally behave and
what is actually good for them - not what is good for you and what
your received wisdom unencumbered by thought might dictate. Otherwise,
just keep in mind that you leapt to (also poorly conceived) behavior
modification without the slightest concern as to what else may be
going on - and despite the evidence in front of you.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old November 26th 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dejablues[_4_]

wrote in message
On Nov 24, 8:47 pm, AR wrote:
[...]

In addition to what Peter said, you need to stop yelling at him and locking
him away when his behavior inconveniences you. He is desperately trying to
tell you something and you aren't listening. Why would he trust you and want
to please you if you are scaring him so.

And take him to the vet, ASAP. Cats with urinary problems will sometimes pee
in their box as well, and symptoms can some and go. He is not doing it to
spite or annoy you, because even though we sometimes think so, they do no
think like people.
Make the effort to bond with him, or give him away.