"Making Arrangements" for Cats

Old September 30th 04, 01:17 AM
Margaret Fine

Victor Martinez wrote:
Margaret Fine wrote:

rest of the pet's life. 2) For $25,000 they have a life care cottage
where your pet will spend their remaining days in a home like setting
being cared for by the SPCA.

How many pets (including horses!?!?!) can you fit in one 2,500 square
feet home?
http://www.spca.org/site/PageServer?...e=AP_Life_Care

I wondered the same thing. I bet in reality they don't have too many
people who will do the $25,000 option. I wonder if each horse gets
their own bedroom? ;-)

--
Margaret Fine

Old September 30th 04, 03:38 AM
Mischief

I'm only 26, but I also suffer from depression. And back in July I
am sorry to say that I was close to suicide. But one thing stopped
me.

Who would take care of my cats?

My roommate would probably take care of them to a point, but she
probably would have to move out since she can't afford to pay rent for
our apartment by herself. And she can't take them home to her family
in Anaheim, because they have about 14 cats anyway, and I don't want
my furkids to be outdoor kitties.

I got Imp from a cat adoption group, so she would probably call them
and ask them to take Imp and Mischief too. I know they would find
good homes.

I am happy to say, that I'm feeling much better and I'm no longer
contemplating suicide. I'm back on my meds, and I've cut down doing
thigns that depress me (I won't go into what they are, but they
weren't really healthy)

I love my kitties very much. I've gone as far as to think of what
would happen if there was a huge disaster and I had to evacuate. I'm
not talking just putting the cats into carriers and then driving off
in my car, I'm talking extreme disaster, like Day after Tomorrow or
The Stand. (Hey, what can I say, I have an overactive imagination)
Whatever would happen, I would not leave my furkids behind.

Kristi

Old September 30th 04, 05:08 AM

Mischief wrote:

I'm only 26, but I also suffer from depression. And back in July I
am sorry to say that I was close to suicide. But one thing stopped
me.

Who would take care of my cats?

I know what you mean. I can't say I've been *really* close to suicide,
but there have been times in the past few years where I thought about
it - and worrying about my cats was the main thing that kept it in
the fantasy realm.

It's a good sign when you're worried enough about the care of your cats
that you would stay alive for them. That means you're still sufficiently
engaged in the world of the living to want to stay in it. You might have
detached from *much* of that world, but not all of it. The day a person
says they don't care what happens to their cats, or kids, or anyone else
who would be left behind, that's when you really have to worry. That's
someone who's seriously alienated and probably has few reasons to live.

Anyway, I'm glad you're feeling better now! (So am I.) Your life is
certainly full these days.

Joyce

Old September 30th 04, 06:02 AM
mlbriggs

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:38:07 -0700, Mischief wrote:

[...]

Something to think about:
""""One truth we gain from living through the years --
Fear brings more pain than does the pain it fears"

Be of good cheer! MLB

Old September 30th 04, 06:15 AM
Marina

Mischief wrote:

I am happy to say, that I'm feeling much better and I'm no longer
contemplating suicide. I'm back on my meds, and I've cut down doing
thigns that depress me (I won't go into what they are, but they
weren't really healthy)

So glad to hear that you are feeling so much better. We need more of
those Vet Tech's Diaries, you know! For me, too, the cats are often the
only reason to get up in the morning, but they always keep me hanging on.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old September 30th 04, 07:35 AM
Jeanette

CatNipped wrote in message
I'm wondering at what the older members of this group (or any of you, for
that matter) may have done as far as making arragements for their cats to

be
taken care of if they should pass away before their cats do.

When Ade and I are both gone, whatever cats we have at the time of our death
will go to the local Branch of Cats Protection to be rehomed. There is
provision in our wills for a £500 donation to the Branch for each cat, to
stay with the Branch, rather than the cat.

I've volunteered for this particular charity for nearly ten years now, and
am confident that they will do the right thing for each cat.

One woman I know has specified in her will that her house is to be left to
the Branch, on condition that we find a congenial, cat loving lodger to care
for her cats, dogs and rabbits in their own home until they have all passed
away, at which point we are free to sell the house.

Jeanette