Houston Humane Society is advertising front paw declawing!!

Old February 11th 07, 07:36 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

Default Houston Humane Society is advertising front paw declawing!!

This is disgusting! I wrote a few days ago to defend some of the HSUS
practices, but this is absolutely revolting. Read what the Houston Humane
Society (note: Houston, not the national HSUS) is advertising as a
"Valentine's Day special" for cats (free neutering accompanied by a *reduced
rate for front paw declawing*):

"We will be neutering 300 male cats only (NO FEMALES) that day. There will
be no general public surgery-other than the male cats. We will be declawing
only a small amount of male cats for the normal price of $60 (front paws
only)."

The flyer also says, "Show your cat you love him on Valentine's Day by
helping him live a longer, healthier life."
In other words, they are really saying: show your cat you love him by
mutilating his front feet.

I am going to contact them and let them know exactly what I think. You can
see the flyer advertising this "special"
he http://www.houstonhumane.org/spay.aspx
Here is the number they listed to schedule appointment and receive
pre-operative instructions: 713-433-6421
And here is the email address they listed for support and donations:

I don't normally cross-post, but I am including several cats' newsgroups
with this message because I think it is such an abomination for a "humane
society" to perform declawing, and I hope some of you will write or call.

--
MaryL

Old February 11th 07, 07:50 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Protector

Believe it or not they're advertising this on their web site as well. Very
disgusting that they are promoting declawing.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

Old February 11th 07, 08:00 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

Default Houston Humane Society is advertising front paw declawing!! - slight correction

[...]

Once again, I let my fingers move faster than my brain. The Houston Humane
Society is not advertising a "special rate" on declawing. The special is
for free neutering, but declawing can also be done at the "regular rate" of
$60.00. If anything, though, that makes it *even worse* to think that the
Humane Society would think of declawing as a "normal" thing to do and would
even sponsor it. I think I am going to be sick!!

--
MaryL

Old February 11th 07, 08:05 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
Believe it or not they're advertising this on their web site as well. Very
disgusting that they are promoting declawing.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

Please note that the link I posted is to the Houston Humane Society. As was
discussed in this NG earlier, local groups usually are not part of the HSUS
itself. I went to the HSUS page and could not find anything similar. In
fact, there are a number of links there in opposition to declawing:
http://www.hsus.org/
http://www.hsus.org/search.jsp

--
MaryL

Old February 11th 07, 08:20 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Protector

Yes, it was noted that their is a free neuter day but to bunch that in with
declawing a cat as a way to promote their health is pretty disgusting. The
Arizona Humane Society from what I've recalled has commented that they don't
promote nor support declawing. Usually they try to educate people on what is
involved with declawing.

Yesterday, I was at one of the Petsmarts and a guy came in and asked Paw
Placement about adopting a cat. When the question came up on how the guy
feels about declawing, the guy said he supports it and that when adopting he
will declaw the cat in order to protect is $15,000 couch. Anyone more
worried about their couch or other object than the safety and well being of
the animal shouldn't be allowed to adopt a cat. He walked away and most
likely is going to try and find a group that will allow him mutilate the
cat. Paw Placement has an anti-declaw policy in the adoption contract and if
someone declaws a cat from their organization, they have the right to seize
the cat.

Old February 11th 07, 08:27 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
Yes, it was noted that their is a free neuter day but to bunch that in
with declawing a cat as a way to promote their health is pretty
disgusting. The Arizona Humane Society from what I've recalled has
commented that they don't promote nor support declawing. Usually they try
to educate people on what is involved with declawing.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

Yes, but I walked into the same trap as we discussed on this newsgroup
several days ago. That is, I failed to differentiate between HSUS and local
Humane Societies. In this case, the flyer comes specifically from the
Houston Humane Society. The HSUS site discusses "Spay Day" in February, but
nothing about declawing.

MaryL

Old February 11th 07, 08:37 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Sun 11 Feb 2007 01:36:48p, MaryL wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
:

[...]

Disgusting. I'm saving the email address and will send them my
outrage. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Mary.

--
Cheryl

Old February 11th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

I just sent them an email!

Hope they get a few hundred more...

Rhonda

Old February 11th 07, 10:41 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 12:20:43 -0700, Cat Protector wrote:

Yes, it was noted that their is a free neuter day but to bunch that in with
declawing a cat as a way to promote their health is pretty disgusting.

Hmmm. It seems to me that cutting off a cat's nuts is a pretty
substantial form of mutilation. It's done to make the animal into a more
satisfactory domestic pet, right?

Charlie
Old February 11th 07, 10:58 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote in message
m...
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 12:20:43 -0700, Cat Protector wrote:

Yes, it was noted that their is a free neuter day but to bunch that in
with
declawing a cat as a way to promote their health is pretty disgusting.

Hmmm. It seems to me that cutting off a cat's nuts is a pretty
substantial form of mutilation. It's done to make the animal into a more
satisfactory domestic pet, right?

No, not primarily for that reason. It is done to prevent breeding, as there
are so many unwanted animals now.