Thesis on Bubbles

Old November 15th 04, 02:28 AM
Bev

Default Thesis on Bubbles

Bubble People

I call these people 'Bubblers'. They are very intelligent people with
compulsive personalities. Bubblers are also good-looking and people are
drawn to their scintillating conversation. An odd quirk of a Bubbler is
a fascination for cats. I suspect most of the ng. would fall into the
Bubbler category.

Bubble Scream

I find I scream when I get to around 74,000 and let my mind wander. I
am down to six bubbles. I am suddenly out of turns and the game is
over. It has taken me several hours to get to a large score, dishes are
left in the sink, beds unmade and I haven't had time to eat. It is good
for a Bubbler to scream so loudly that sleeping cats wake up and come in
to find out what is wrong. Sometimes my scream has alerted a neighbour
who comes in to see if I have been murdered. This is a handy ploy as
talking to a neighbour about your addiction calms you down.

Bubble Gremlins

Several gremlins lurk in the bubble game and I am going to identify
them.

The Space Gremlin. He lurks in the space you aim at and pushes you
into another space much less desirable.

The Wrong Colour Gremlin

This gremlin takes advantage of a wandering mind and instead of you
firing a yellow bubble at two yellow bubbles, substitutes a pink one.
This gremlin is maddening as you begin to question your sanity. Perhaps
it really was a yellow bubble and changed colour on the way. Don't
worry - the gremlin, not you, is responsible.

The Side Bounce Gremlin

Bouncing bubbles off the side of the screen is for advanced Bubblers and
you are easy meat for the Side Bounce Gremlin. You aim at the side to
bounce your bubble into the exact spot - instead you hang your bubble on
the end of a line a lifetime away from your target bubble. It's not
your fault!

The Squeeze Gremlin

You know it is possible to squeeze your pink bubble between two green
bubbles on the way to a pink bubble bonanza above said greens. Your
bubble is seized by the squeeze bubble and you're stuck between the
greens. You are allowed to cry.

Game Over Gremlin

This is the worst Gremlin of all. It flicks away a couple of turns
when you're not looking, usually when yoou are about to solve the
game. This calls for drastic measures - leave the game and go to the
liquor cupboard. Pour out several shots of whatever is in there, drink
them and go out to the garage. Come back with an axe and smash the
computer. At least you will be rid of the Gremlins.

I will write more on this thesis when I calm down. Please feel free to
contribute if you want to.

Bev

-
The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.
Old November 15th 04, 03:37 AM
Victor Martinez

Bev wrote:
I will write more on this thesis when I calm down. Please feel free to
contribute if you want to.

There's also the...

Double-click gremlin

When you click the mouse once, but your cannon shoots out two bubbles.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old November 15th 04, 09:39 AM
badwilson

"Bev" wrote in message

The Wrong Colour Gremlin

This gremlin takes advantage of a wandering mind and instead of you
firing a yellow bubble at two yellow bubbles, substitutes a pink

one.
This gremlin is maddening as you begin to question your sanity.

Perhaps
it really was a yellow bubble and changed colour on the way. Don't
worry - the gremlin, not you, is responsible.

Oh, I am so glad I'm not alone with this wrong colour thing. I feel
much better now.
This game is seriously ruining my life. I've already solved it 4
times but yet I'm still addicted! What is going on here???
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's

Old November 16th 04, 12:37 AM

badwilson wrote:

Oh, I am so glad I'm not alone with this wrong colour thing. I feel
much better now.

Yeah, that happens to me sometimes. I swear I see a yellow bubble, so I
fire it at a bunch of yellows, and suddenly I notice I've fired a green
one instead. Turns out the yellow one was "on deck". (Baseball term: it
refers to the next player who will be up at bat after the current one -
he stands in a little circle near home plate and warms up for his turn...
just like the next bubble is doing! )

This game is seriously ruining my life. I've already solved it 4
times but yet I'm still addicted! What is going on here???

I was actually discussing this game with a friend yesterday, that's how
much effect it's had on my life. She says that game manufacturers do some
sophisticated psychological research in order to create addictive games.
I'm sure that's not always the case, but it seems to be true in this case.
Whoever invented this game (or the games that it was modeled on) *knew*
exactly what would hook people and keep them coming back.

I have never in my life been addicted to a computer game, or any game,
actually. I'm not really a "game" person. So why did this one hook me?
Why do we have so many fallen comrades around here? They're dropping like
flies! Didn't Enfilade say that the posting volume went way down on another
list she was on after someone (maybe she?) posted the URL to Bubble Hell.

At the moment, I have purged the URL from my browser. However, I know how
to get it back if I want it, and have already done that a couple of times.
Then I close that browser when I'm done, so that I haven't saved it. I want
to at least make it a little more difficult to access that game, so that
when I do go to play it, it will require a concious decision, and not just
a mindless click.

It's a fun game, I'll grant you. But there really is something very
insidious about it. I swear, it's just like that game on Star Trek TNG.
I just *know* it's an evil feline invention of some sort, for some nefarious
purpose. No doubt Bonnie and Clyde are the original instigators, and are
snickering to each other and taking turns peeing in the sink while Bev
is desperately trying to kill off those last few pinks.

Joyce

Old November 16th 04, 03:52 AM
Enfilade

Oh, I am so glad I'm not alone with this wrong colour thing. I feel
much better now.
This game is seriously ruining my life. I've already solved it 4
times but yet I'm still addicted! What is going on here???

I am scared. What game is this?

Mah Jongg is my timewaster of choice...and Tetris.

--Fil