Canned food - prices

Old October 18th 04, 08:53 PM
Rene

wrote in message ...
My question -- with 8 cats of various
ages, is there a good, affordable wet
food? I priced the premium wet foods at
somewhere around $1.58 for 13 oz.

$1.58 for a 13 oz can of premium food is a good price. Think about what
a 3 ounce of can of Fancy Feast cost at around .39, and the premium food
is actually less per ounce.

I feed 24 cats only super premium foods and do it on a one person
income. I have calculated down to the ounce what my cats need to
maintain weight, feed exactly the same amounts at every meal, and can
place orders for food knowing how many cans I need to cover a weeks
worth of meals and know exactly how much I spend. The nice thing about
super premium food is that the cats generally don't need as much food to
get the same benefit, and when I switched to this type of food years ago
I found I was feeding nearly 30% less food, so I wasn't really spending
much more. I have made the choice to go without new clothes, going out
nights (there are cheaper forms of entertainment such as books and
renting movies) etc., rather than try to save money by feeding my cats
crap.

Megan

I am a recent convert to Wellness food (er, ok *I* don't actually eat
it. . .) I previously spent a ton of money on prescription food.
Wellness isn't cheap, but considering I feed less than I did of the
dry, I'm not spending that much more money than I did before. Some
other benefits a fewer #2s to scoop out of the litter box (they
absorb more of the food), getting more water in their diet, and the
food doesn't smell like cat food. It hardly has a smell at all.

Several people here have been happy with petfooddirect.com. I called
around locally for prices, and also emailed friends who lived a
reasonable distance for their area prices. Also see if the store has a
punch card or will give a discount for case purchases. I've found a
lot of stores will, but you have to ask.

Rene
Old October 19th 04, 05:16 AM
Rhonda

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

Sounds like if we want to feed wet food, we have to just bite the
bullet. We probably pay $25/month in dry food to feed the guys. With wet
food, sounds like closer to $200/month.

Although, Bob's diabetes cost $4000 in one year, and the money was not
the worst of it, seeing what he went through. I want to prevent any of
our cats from going through that. A steroid shot triggered it, but I
have to wonder if he hadn't been already overweight and full of carbs...

Thanks, again, I'll get to shopping for a good brand!

Rhonda

Old October 24th 04, 05:13 AM
GAUBSTER2

Betsy wrote:
I don't advocate Science Diet either, but
by-products in and of themselves aren't
problematic.

Yes they are. By-products consist of many things and there is no way to
know what quantity of whatever is in the food.

"By-product: An ingredient produced in the course of making a primary
food ingredient; a secondary or incidental product. Feathers are a
by-product of poultry meat processing. Feathers which are removed from a
carcass during production of poultry meat are then hydrolyzed (pressure
cooked with steam until they are an edible gel) which makes them an
acceptable feed grade ingredient.

Keeping you in context here...Science Diet doesn't use "feathers" in their
nutritional products. It's simply more scare tactics from individuals of your
ilk.

When a pet food label's list of ingredients shows
the word By-product you can be assured that there is NO measurable
amount of meat in the ingredient. If the ingredient contained enough
meat that it could be measured the pet food company would proudly list
the MEAT, not just the By-product of that meat's production."

Science Diet uses chicken by-products (which can be of very high quality and
provide the precise nutrient needs of the cat) and poultry by-products. If you
were intellectually honest enough to call the company (in good faith, of
course--which you don't have) and do a fact-based research project, you would
find that you are completely off base when it comes to anything Hill's Pet
Nutrition does.

Old October 24th 04, 06:53 AM

Rhonda,
Gaubster is a well-known troll on the newsgroups who waits with bated
breath for food discussions to pop up so he can argue, namecall, post
lies and erroneous information and promote his precious Science Diet,
which is crap food. The majority of people here have been down this road
with him ad nauseum and either ignore him, or have him killfiled. Your
best off doing the same. To answer your question, short of doing your
own research and making a homemade diet, feeding your cat a variety of
high quality canned foods such as Wellness, Felidae, and Innova will
provide your cat with good nutrition and is going to be the best you can
do.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke