PLEASE READ - Conan's Adoption

Old June 27th 05, 04:43 AM
biggerbadderbarry

Philip wrote:

Candace .... you have not bought a ticket in to the Rescue Club.

When I called the shelter, it only costs $50.00

All you need is Transportation, and the new cat slave can pay the 50
dollars.
Rhonda seems pretty confident she can get an air pass, this is
excellent.

See...it got complicated from the beginning.

In the studio when I record, we tell one another. KISS. (not you, but
for anyone frustrating the matter)

Old June 27th 05, 04:48 AM
Charlie Wilkes

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 21:04:48 -0400, "KellyH" kelly at farringtons dot
net wrote:

"Mary" wrote

We watched Charlie care for and try to help the little stray he had in
his bathroom for so long, and have had numerous conversations with
him in the group. I feel confident about him. If you don't then don't
contribute to the fund.

You think someone that cuts the toe off a rooster, with no anesthesia, gets

Yes. I did it with a pair of angle cutters:

http://www.geocities.com/wallofgrays/lop_toe.jpg

This is the condition I was dealing with:

http://www.geocities.com/wallofgrays/footrot.jpg

I was on an island with no vet. This was a stray rooster who got
kicked out of a barnyard and then wandered into my yard, so I started
taking care of him as best I could. He acquired this condition while
in the care of my tenants on the island. I had been away on business,
but suddenly had time on my hands, and I dealt with the bird's
problem.

The bird was in terrible discomfort, made worse by the fact that the
toe I severed had deformed and was under the ball of his foot, so any
time he put pressure on that foot, he was stressing the joint. He
could not walk.

I thought he had a fungus infection, but it was scaly leg mites. I
got into sci.agriculture.poultry and they got me straightened out --
it is necessary to soak the feet and then put oil on them every day
until new skin forms and the legs heal. I also took the bird to the
vet when I had an opportunity to do so.

I took care of him all that fall and nursed him back to health. He
was very friendly and trusting and he also developed an interesting
bond with Holly. At night he slept in a cardboard box, which got a
daily change of fresh grass-straw from the field in front of my house:

http://www.geocities.com/wallofgrays/logan9_24.jpg

He was next to the stone chimney in the part of the house where people
hang out during the evening. Once he started to feel better, he was
vocal and interactive. He loved to sit in my lap while I stroked his
comb. He was never aggressive toward anyone. One day when he was
feeling better, a toddler had a lot of fun playing with him and the
bird enjoyed it too.

He loved a hot bath. I started by soaking his feet, but I noticed he
would make happy sounds when I lowered him into the water, so finally
I just put him in the pot and let him steep:

http://www.geocities.com/wallofgrays/log1010a.jpg

Those baths really cleared up his leg mites, and they got rid of the
northern fowl mites, too, which was important to me because I was
handling this bird all the time. They brought a sheen to his feathers
and seemed to improve his overall health.

I always got my big wood stove good and hot for his bath, and
afterwards, I would set him up to dry next to the stove, which is the
dark blob on the right side of this pictu

http://www.geocities.com/wallofgrays/log1010b.jpg

The bird fully recovered. Unfortunately, he was killed by a predator
in the middle of the winter, once again when I was away. The basic
problem is that it's not reasonable to keep poultry in the house, like
a cat or dog, but we didn't have a poultry house on the place at that
time, although we have built one since so that further such accidents
won't happen.

his cat high, makes comments about throwing kittens out the car window and
putting a cat in a box and holding it up to a tailpipe, and not taking a cat

Indeed. I have made all those comments and many more that are a lot
worse. Believe it or not, I think Google has intentionally deleted
some of the worst stuff I have posted. But look in wa.general for
some of the back-and-forth with the Australians if you want to really
see my bad side.

to the vet that was bleeding from the nose and mouth is a suitable adopter?

I like to spend my money judiciously because I have a finite supply.

This was a semi-feral barn cat that I found on the road in the middle
of the night. I did not know how seriously he was injured, and I was
prepared to allow him to die in relative comfort if he was bleeding
internally rather than take him to an emergency vet and start forking
out cash for xrays, surgery, or whatever else might be required for
this unknown cat.

When he survived the night and began to recover, I had him examined
(with lab work), neutered, and vaccinated. And he has turned out to
be a wonderful pet. He is affectionate, calm and easy to manage, and
the same can be said for my dog. I have a quiet household and I am
home most of the time, which is why I think a stressed-out cat who has
been passed around will probably settle in here well.

Charlie

One good deed does not clear all these things IMO.

-Kelly

Old June 27th 05, 04:53 AM
Mary

"Candace" wrote in message
oups.com...
Mary wrote:

Dan has already offered to try to get Conan into a no-kill if we need

to.
The point is that he be taken to another home, not another
goddamned shelter. I will see to it, with Dan and Rhonda's help, that

this
happens one way or another.

Yes, I understand, I just worry about the *particular* shelter he is in
but I'm sure Dan can spring him if need be. I just thought, from the
other thread that you started, "Adopt this Great Cat," that maybe you
were backing out of the Charlie thing, too.

No, Candace. I am not. I believe Charlie is meant to have Conan.
Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Consider this: the dirt Cheryl dug up on him in two cases had to do
with saving animals suffering--and in one, making sure his dog did
not stray again, because straying where he is is unsafe due to the
wild animals alone.

I'm ambivalent and confused about Charlie, at this point, but, like I
said, I am not one of the players here other than offering to donate a
little cash. Dan and Rhonda are the ones who will have Conan in their
possession prior to delivering him to his new home. Ultimately, it
will be in their hands. It's just unfortunate that there are these
uncertainties now so close to the goal being reached. I'm sure Rhonda
needs to know how to proceed with the tickets and taking a day off,
etc.

I have no uncertainties. But of course I am interested in seeing who
responds to my post and is interested in adopting Conan.

In any case, never fear! I have provided the money to get Conan out,
and Dan is right there ready to snatch him out of the shelter. Those two
things are a given. If Rhonda wishes to withdraw her help based upon
the concerns expressed by Cheryl and KellyH, we can find a local
home. (I know where your heart is---because I remember that you
were as upset as I was the night we learned Conan had been
returned. Thanks for your genuine concern, Candace.)

Old June 27th 05, 05:14 AM
KellyH

"Mary" wrote
Consider this: the dirt Cheryl dug up on him in two cases had to do
with saving animals suffering--and in one, making sure his dog did
not stray again, because straying where he is is unsafe due to the
wild animals alone.

I'm still concerned about the dog incident. I can understand securing the
dog so she doesn't run off, but not feeding for two days?

In any case, never fear! I have provided the money to get Conan out,
and Dan is right there ready to snatch him out of the shelter. Those two
things are a given. If Rhonda wishes to withdraw her help based upon
the concerns expressed by Cheryl and KellyH, we can find a local
home. (I know where your heart is---because I remember that you
were as upset as I was the night we learned Conan had been
returned. Thanks for your genuine concern, Candace.)

I'm confused now after reading Charlie's post. I don't know what to think.
On the one hand, the posts I read concern me greatly. On the other, I don't
live in an isolated area which explains some of the stuff, and I don't have
a sick sense of humor when it comes to animals.

--
-Kelly

Old June 27th 05, 05:19 AM
Mary

"KellyH" wrote in message
news
"Mary" wrote
[...]

Confused? Did Charlie's account, complete with photos, convince
you that he was cruel to that rooster?

Congrats on falling hook line and sinker for Cheryl's bull****, Kelly.

Old June 27th 05, 05:26 AM
Charlie Wilkes

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 20:38:12 -0400, "KellyH" kelly at farringtons dot
net wrote:

Hi there. I am posting this at the risk of being flamed for being a Googler
and a troublemaker. I don't care. I want Conan to go to a good home, and I
think that's what everyone else wants too.
I took it for granted that someone on here had actually had a conversation
with Charlie Wilkes and done some screening.

Some troubling posts have jumped out at me, and I thought I should bring
them to everyone's attention. The rooster thread is particularly
disturbing, as well as some of the comments made about cats. Doesn't strike
me as a cat lover. There are some posts about growing pot, and while my own
personal beliefs are that pot should be legalized (no, I don't smoke it or
do any drugs) this is not a suitable environment for a cat. He could be
arrested and the animals taken away. I would not adopt a cat to someone I
knew was engaging in illegal activity.

Well, you better find someone else if that is your criterion.

There's also reference to a cat back in 2001 but no reference to it since.

So, here are the links:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...9ddabe2d?hl=en

That is Vegas, my island tenant's cat. She always wants in on the
pipe.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...&rnum=37&hl=en

I decided not to get a kitten at that time.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...75a2ca00?hl=en

Ok, I threw out a comment for discussion.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...e25baee7?hl=en

???

What's wrong here? I got this puppy out of a litter, and she is very
sharp. Do you know what a sharp dog is? It's like a police dog, or a
dog that is meant to guard a building -- wary of strangers and very
protective of its master or domecile or both. That is the kind of dog
I have. Holly is the first dog I have had as an adult, and I was on a
learning curve. But I've got a very well-behaved dog who never causes
problems for anyone.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...e+wilkes&hl=en

I have posted the story and most of the pix I have on my web dump.
That is a damn good group, too -- one of the best. They really helped
me fix up that bird.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...s&rnum=8&hl=en

Well, I decided not to drown the cat.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...54ddf3529145e9

Some of the rooster picture links are in that post as well. Or are
you concerned about how I grow a couple of pot plants in 3-gallon
buckets so I don't have to buy from dealers?

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...f9ac9c51d80169

Christ almighty. I had forgotten about that night. I had to drive
home because I was too drunk to walk. Poor kitty.

Charlie
Old June 27th 05, 05:27 AM
Rhonda

Oh boy, this group will keep you on your toes!

I spoke to Charlie on the phone yesterday about his schedules, etc. --
and he seemed very nice, very logical, and concerned about Conan. He
said that having him returned to the shelter really pulled at his
heart-strings just like it did the rest of us.

I did not conduct an adoption interview, I figured that would all be
done by the shelter. I wouldn't even know how to do one.

Of course big questions that should be asked are about past animals and
pets. If the questions are answered to satisfy the adoption agency or
shelter, then the adoption should go through.

Charlie was nice enough to step forward when no one else was able to. I
don't think it's our place to tear him apart when he's trying to help,
but I agree questions should be asked (like they were to all of us when
we adopted from a shelter.) I think this has become kind of a group
adoption and I would really like everyone to be comfy with it. I also
know Charlie is not emotionally tied to the adoption, so if we can find
a closer adopter he would probably not mind -- right, Charlie?

So I think there should be an adoption inquiry. If there is not a closer
adopter and the shelter is releasing Conan to Dan without the normal
questions to Charlie, is there someone on the group experienced in this?
Has anyone ever worked in adoptions at shelter? If so, could they do the
normal inquiry with Charlie, and would the group agree with the results?
Not that the answers need to be posted here for us to be judge and jury,
but basically that the "adoption counselor" agrees his situation is
right for Conan.

I very much appreciate Charlie coming forward to do such a good thing,
I'm also interested in what's best for Conan, and do not want to wait
too much longer since I don't much trust deadlines at shelters. They are
such busy places and are dealing with large numbers of animals.

What do you think?

Rhonda

Old June 27th 05, 05:31 AM
KellyH

"Mary" wrote
Confused? Did Charlie's account, complete with photos, convince
you that he was cruel to that rooster?

I don't know a damn thing about poultry, so I'll toss out the rooster
incident for now. Some people on the poultry ng said it was cruel to cut
the toe off, some said not.
There's still the tying the dog up and not feeding for two days and the
other comments that, like I said, I'm not sure whether or not to chalk up to
a sick sense of humor or what. I'm not one who even jokes about stuff like
that.

Congrats on falling hook line and sinker for Cheryl's bull****, Kelly.

I don't know the guy from a hole in the ground, and neither do you. I don't
see anything wrong with gathering as much information as possible to make a
decision.

--
-Kelly

Old June 27th 05, 05:39 AM
Mary

"KellyH" wrote in message
"Mary" wrote
Confused? Did Charlie's account, complete with photos, convince
you that he was cruel to that rooster?

I don't know a damn thing about poultry, so I'll toss out the rooster
incident for now. Some people on the poultry ng said it was cruel to cut
the toe off, some said not.
There's still the tying the dog up and not feeding for two days and the
other comments that, like I said, I'm not sure whether or not to chalk up

a sick sense of humor or what. I'm not one who even jokes about stuff

like
that.

Congrats on falling hook line and sinker for Cheryl's bull****, Kelly.

I don't know the guy from a hole in the ground, and neither do you.

How well can we know ANYONE, including your "friends" in Seattle,
who might offer to adopt Conan?

I don't
see anything wrong with gathering as much information as possible to make

decision.

Of course you don't. And if Wednesday comes and he is re-evaluated
and euthanized, then what? Or if there is a glitch in the paper work and
they do it early as they did last week? You've been duped, plain and
simple.

As it stands at this moment, Dan is authorized to pick Conan up tomorrow
morning if need be and he has the money and the resources to do it. None of
you need be consulted at all.

Old June 27th 05, 05:40 AM
KellyH

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...e25baee7?hl=en

???

What's wrong here? I got this puppy out of a litter, and she is very
sharp. Do you know what a sharp dog is? It's like a police dog, or a
dog that is meant to guard a building -- wary of strangers and very
protective of its master or domecile or both. That is the kind of dog
I have. Holly is the first dog I have had as an adult, and I was on a
learning curve. But I've got a very well-behaved dog who never causes
problems for anyone.

The point of that one was that there was a cat mentioned (back in 2001) and
I was wondering what happened to that cat.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...f9ac9c51d80169

Christ almighty. I had forgotten about that night. I had to drive
home because I was too drunk to walk. Poor kitty.

Call me humor impaired, but I don't think drunk driving is funny either.

--
-Kelly