Latest news on "the eye"

Old September 27th 04, 06:27 AM
mlbriggs

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 08:17:42 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

st time, a friend drove her to the doctor. She said nope, I don't
want anyone cutting on my eyes anymore. The doctor, a new "young" guy (she
was in her 60's) said, "You don't understand. I think I can HELP you." Her
friend said, Jean, go on, let him do this. So she did.

Another story. It happened in the early 1930s -- My grandfather had been
blind in one eye for over 20 years. He started getting terrible headaches
that would make him nearly fall when the pain struck him. He went to a
Nose and Throat doctor who found a large polyp in his sinus. It was
surgically removed. A few weeks later my grandfather discovered the
sight had returned to his blind eye.

Old September 28th 04, 09:56 PM
Victor Martinez

Lots of purrs.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old September 28th 04, 09:56 PM
Victor Martinez

Lots of purrs.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old September 28th 04, 09:56 PM
Victor Martinez

Lots of purrs.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old September 29th 04, 12:28 AM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , mlbriggs
wrote:

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 08:17:42 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

st time, a friend drove her to the doctor. She said nope, I don't
want anyone cutting on my eyes anymore. The doctor, a new "young" guy
(she
was in her 60's) said, "You don't understand. I think I can HELP you."
Her
friend said, Jean, go on, let him do this. So she did.

Another story. It happened in the early 1930s -- My grandfather had
been
blind in one eye for over 20 years. He started getting terrible
headaches
that would make him nearly fall when the pain struck him. He went to a
Nose and Throat doctor who found a large polyp in his sinus. It was
surgically removed. A few weeks later my grandfather discovered the
sight had returned to his blind eye.

Among the most moving things I've ever read was a thoughtful line by
James Herriot, on his first use of the first (primitive) antibiotic [1],
sulfanilamide. At the time, he realized, for the first time, that he had
a drug that unquestionably DID something -- and he hadn't a glimmering
of the coming revolution in therapeutics.

I'm deeply educated in pharmacology, but every so often, as a new class
of drugs is introduced, or we gain a new fundamental understanding of
the mode of action of a drug (or an organ system), I get tears in my
eyes as I did when I first read Herriot.

Medicine, including veterinary medicine, has been called "the youngest
science." Most people do not understand how recent even seemingly basic
tests and treatments may be, the majority of them post-WWII. The rate of
progress is increasing at an incredible rate--the amount of knowledge in
biology and medicine probably doubles every 4-7 years.

Today's miracle is tomorrow's routine, and perhaps obsolescent the day
after. We don't always have cures -- but we increasingly have reliable
methods to turn death sentences into manageable chronic diseases with
good quality of life--and tough financial choices.

[1] For any purists, yes, I know sulfonamides are not true "antibiotics"
produced by a microorganism. With the number of synthetic and semi-
synthetic antimicrobials in use today, I feel comfortable in using
the shorter and more familiar term "antibiotic".

Old September 29th 04, 01:00 AM
mlbriggs

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 19:28:07 -0400, Howard Berkowitz wrote:

In article , mlbriggs
wrote:

[...]

You are so right about today's miracle meds. If they had been available
when I was a child, many family members would not have died so young.MLB