Latest news on "the eye"

Old October 3rd 04, 11:51 PM

Sumkatz wrote:

(4.347505 x -4.347505) + (7 x -4.347505) + 53 = 3.666666
-18.900799725025 + -30.432535 + 53 = 3.666666
-49.333334725025 + 53 = 3.666666
3.666665274975 = 3.666666 (well I did write approximately

So X is indeed a magic number.

4.347505 is a magic number? What does it do? (Other than solve this
particular equation, that is.) Could it, possibly, clean my apartment?

Points at Joyce saying 'I solved it, I solved it, neener neener nee nah',
ducks, runs and hides

Ah well. I once was a mathematician. Brain's gone rusty over the years!

How did you actually arrive at 4.347505, anyway?

Joyce

Old October 4th 04, 12:02 AM
Yowie

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

"Elise" wrote in message
m...
Jumping up and waving hand Algebra!!! Cut Algebra!!!!! Yeah! When

was
the last time you figured out what "x" was in real life! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped ----- whose gradepoint average was brought down by the

dreaded
math

I must admit to figuring out what "x" is equal to on a fairly regular

basis.
Of course I loved Algebra, Trigonometry and Calculus in school and hated
picking apart various well-told stories to find the deeper meanings

within.

A pet peeve that DH and I were recently discussing: Why can't a story

just
be enjoyed as a story? The only one who truly knows the deeper meaning,

if
any, is the author. In the case of most classes in English Literature,

most
of those authors were long since deceased. Perhaps the teachers held
regularly scheduled séances?

I'm with you on this one. If I can read something and enjoy it, what
difference does it make if I can prove to someone else what the author
intended for me to get from it. I honestly believe this is one of the
attractions of junk books. Too many of us spent 12 years being

intimidated
by English teachers, most of whom could not write.

I read "A Tale of Two Cities" when I was in the fourth grade. And enjoyed
it. Now I will grant you I didn't conjure up the visuals the author

likely
had in mind, and probably missed some of the more subtle points. But I
enjoyed the book. Where was the harm?

15 years ago, I would have agreed with you. I am a classic science geek,
chemistry, physics, biology, maths - all the "fact" subjects came easy to me
and I alwys wondered why they couldn't just let a good book stay a good
book, because picking it apart always seemed to ruin it for me.

Taht was until I was forced to do some arts subjects at University (I was
doing a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry), and suddenly had the revelation
that i had actually learnt some skills whilst picking apart books against my
will. The first and foremost was how to critically examine a peice of
writing: what was the intended audience? What was the authors message? How
did the author go about telling this tale? What sort of arguments were used?
What *didn't* the author say? etc etc. While this is probably more helpful
when examining non-fiction it also helps me to understand the difference
between crappy fiction and good, engrossing fiction. And probably has helped
me write cat anecdotes too.

I no longer have to pick apart various stories, for which I'm infinitely
grateful, but knowing how to do does make me appreciate the "greats" even
more, because I can see and appreciate the "tools" that the author used to
make the peice so powerful.

Compare "the cat sat on the mat" to "Shmoggleberry, a grey tabby of unknown
heritage and equally unpredictable demeanor purposely placed himself like a
landmine into the exact centre of the worn and cat-fur covered rug, his tail
still beating out an angry tattoo."

Both say the same thing, but I would hope the latter painted a much more
compelling picture, leaving you wanting to know more. I have used
alliteration, lots of adjectives, a simile, and a metaphor to paint the
picture. All the cat did was sit on the mat, but the second tells you far
far more.The truly great writers paint a very fine and detailed picture, and
can literally change lives.

I am so thankful to my English teacher for giving me that gift, and I had no
idea that I had been given it until long after I had left school, but unlike
the maths and sciences which help me earn my salary but give me little or no
pleasure, poetry and well written words still give me great pleasure.
Perhaps it is no coincidence then that my favourite movie is "Dead Poet's
Society"

Yowie

---

Old October 4th 04, 12:15 AM
Christina Websell

wrote in message
Sumkatz wrote:

(4.347505 x -4.347505) + (7 x -4.347505) + 53 = 3.666666
-18.900799725025 + -30.432535 + 53 = 3.666666
-49.333334725025 + 53 = 3.666666
3.666665274975 = 3.666666 (well I did write approximately

So X is indeed a magic number.

4.347505 is a magic number? What does it do? (Other than solve this
particular equation, that is.) Could it, possibly, clean my apartment?

Points at Joyce saying 'I solved it, I solved it, neener neener nee
nah',
ducks, runs and hides

Ah well. I once was a mathematician. Brain's gone rusty over the years!

How did you actually arrive at 4.347505, anyway?

Joyce

This is yet another quoted post that I never saw the original, in fact when
I got home today, since 5 a.m until 7 p.m. my computer told me that there
were only 5 unread posts on the group.
Now that must be unusual! Usually there is nearly a hundred.
I know my computer is okay, since it's only a few months old.

Tweed

Old October 5th 04, 12:12 PM
Adrian

Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
Sumkatz wrote:

[...]

I recomend you sign up with www.news.individual.net it doesn't cost
anything. You could download from them and Wanadoo at the same time and
compare the number of posts you get.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old October 5th 04, 06:24 PM
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
Sumkatz wrote:

[...]

I think I might try that, Adrian, thanks as I think I'm losing lots of posts
judging by what I see quoted by others that I've never seen.

Tweed