HOW TO FATTEN A CAT UP(AS OPPOSED TO REDUCING ONE'S WEIGHT)

Old December 26th 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Default HOW TO FATTEN A CAT UP(AS OPPOSED TO REDUCING ONE'S WEIGHT)

It is the same cat & I did report it Bookie.I got her from a breeder in
Hampshire.She claimed to be getting rid of her cats so that she could
concentrate on the small holding that they had just leased(I would
NEVER Have guessed what would happen following collecting her from what
I saw of the farmhouse though!).But when I found out that poor Tigg's
had ringworm & had obviously had it for sometime too-I decided to try &
contact the other breeder that I met there,buying all *7Bengalis* from
her, to see if she had the same problem that I did too-& guess
what..???OF COURSE She did of course!!At that point, I went straight to
the Rspca,as did the breeder that bought all 7Bengali cats from her as
well,& *we both reported the case to the Rspca.*
It is a cruelty case ,& will be heard in court on the monday 5th feb
07.All animals were removed from the farm in question,& both the
bengali breeder & I have to apprear to testify on Mon 5th Feb 07.(they
would never have removed all of the animals if they thought for one
moment that they wouldn't get a guilty verdict, would they?)
When the Rspca came to visit us, they asked how much we had seen of the
small holding,& several other questions- they Also showed us some of
the photos that they took.It was horrifying..!!!! I have no regrets at
all either!I have never had to do anything like this before,but I am
determind to see it through!
If it was not for the impending court case I would tell you her name
also,if only to name and shame her-but I am restrained by law from
doing so until the case has been heard.(we are all inoccent until
proven guilty & that bollux).I can assure you that I will name her as
soon as the case is over,because I have absolutely no doubt in my mind
that she will be found guilty!!
Apparently all *10*cats(there were another 2that had already been homed
before either the bengali breeder or myself got there)- were being kept
in an large rabbit run.There were some 12 pigs found in the sty,feeding
on one of the pigs that had died from starvation too!!I have no doubt
that this one will hit the press because of the dreadful currcumstances
they were found in.I will tell you more after the case is heard.
sorry can't actually add anythign more about how to feed up a cat, cats
just seem to eneter my house and get instantly obese, probably comes
from having a house of 3 adults all of whom think the others are not
feeding the cat enough
actually what about things like eggs yolks or cheese occasionally?

She does have some of both, as well as of the other tit bits we have
left over too.That is exactly why I am so concerned.The problem of
course,is that because she is not actually loosing wieght,but gaining
all be it slightly, I am told not to be overly concerned-the problem
is, that I am!
Her behaiviour is probably the most concerning-she will do anything
that she can to hide from the other cats, or climb beyond their reach.I
think I have myself a real problem here
S.

Old December 26th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Ps:If anyone knows of a calorie booster available in the Uk, can you
let me know about it please?

Is NutraCal available in the UK? It is often used in the US as a dietary
supplement/calorie booster.

MaryL

I am afraid I am not familiar with that one either-but that does not
mean that it doesn't exist.I am going to have a little mini search on
the Pc, to see what we can get over here.I am certain that some of
these brands must be available, even if it means ordering on-line.I am
sure that some of them must be?!
Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o

I have to say that I have been folowing some of your postings for some
time now & got really interested & involved with the exchange between
Yourself & Bookie too, about the adoption of a blind cat.
Your photos of Duffy & Holly are inspirational,& I have to say that the
I loved all of them,but most of all, the* Kitty Ballet* one made me
howl with laughter...Excellent Photos,please keep them coming?
And thanks for the advice too by the way.
S)

Old December 26th 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Lynne wrote:

Have you checked her for internal parasites? I would suspect tapeworm if
her appetite is hearty and she's losing weight. Tapeworm is easy to spot
if you know what you are looking for (tiny rice-fleck-looking worm segments
around the anus, especially at night or right after she poos), and easy to
treat.

--
Lynne

Actually no,I haven't.I treated her with drontal a few weeks ago, but
to be perfectly honest with you,I am not sure what it covers(which is
terrible really on my part!).I just asked the vet for an all round
wormer that would kill everything stone dead-& that is the one she
suggested.I will have a look in a few mins after I feed the troops-
that is when she normally goes for one(after her super!).I will also
take a sample to take with me tomorrow, to save her asking for one when
we get thereoh boy I am squeamish,out come the rubber gloves,lol!
Thanks for the idea too.I know that is wrong of me to presumb, but I
did assume that when I asked her for something that knocks everything
stone dead,it would include all sorts & varieties too....
S.

Old December 26th 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Don't buy over-the-counter preparations for parasites. They can be
ineffective and sometimes dangerous. Be sure to get the medication from
your vet.

MaryL

I will Mary.I learnt that lesson the hard way.About 10 years ago, I got
some over the counter product(I think it was Pendings kitten wormer
soloution in a bottle),& gave some to a litter of kittens that one of
our visitors kindly decided to have in our garage.I made absolutely
sure that I followed the instructions to the letter, but about 12hours
later, the kittens started dying,one by one,the whole litter of kittens
died.I called the vet, who took the remaining kitten into clinic,&
after a post mortum,she told me that they had dehydrated & starved to
death because a of a huge worm infestation.
It was a terrible thing to happen & to this day I still feel dreadful
about it & responsible too-but it did serve a as very good lesson to
me-you should never give any internal product to a kitten or cat
without consulting your vet first!!!
I still feel shamed about this story, but if my shame helps any single
person learn from my mistake, then it was worth sharing it with you..
S.

Old December 26th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"sheelagh" wrote in message
ups.com...

I have to say that I have been folowing some of your postings for some
time now & got really interested & involved with the exchange between
Yourself & Bookie too, about the adoption of a blind cat.
Your photos of Duffy & Holly are inspirational,& I have to say that the
I loved all of them,but most of all, the* Kitty Ballet* one made me
howl with laughter...Excellent Photos,please keep them coming?
And thanks for the advice too by the way.
S)

Thanks, Sheelagh. I think I have a camera permanently attached to my right
arm and can never resist taking lots of pics of Holly and Duffy.

MaryL

Old December 26th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

I have to say that I have been folowing some of your postings for some
time now & got really interested & involved with the exchange between
Yourself & Bookie too, about the adoption of a blind cat.
Your photos of Duffy & Holly are inspirational,& I have to say that the
I loved all of them,but most of all, the* Kitty Ballet* one made me
howl with laughter...Excellent Photos,please keep them coming?
And thanks for the advice too by the way.
S)

Thanks, Sheelagh. I think I have a camera permanently attached to my right
arm and can never resist taking lots of pics of Holly and Duffy.

MaryL

You are most welcome)I can see why as well!
You must have had to put a lot of forethought into getting ready to
bring Duffy home,& Holly also must have had played a very big part in
welcoming him too?
I took a lot of time looking through all of the photos, & it would
appear that the carpet all over the top of your units must have helped
Duffy in finding his way around also?Big B will have a field day on me
for saying this, but I have to all the same-It is such an Inspirational
story that you share here.Duffy & Holly were ever so lucky to find
you.So many people would have walked on by Duffy,rather than even try
to give him the chance that you did.
It has even made me consider the idea as well.But in my circumstances,I
am not sure that it would be appropriate-I have too many lodgers here
to be able to devote the attention that I think that such a speacial
cat would deserve.Nevertheless,I enjoy every single update,& maybe,....
one day a bit further down the line..If I am ever in the right
position,I would most certainly "not just walk on by",now that I have
heard how little your circumstances did have to change to acommadate
Duffy to your home.
It has also given me a huge insight to the possiblities of
rehabilitation,that I would most certainly consider trying too.But that
will be another story later down the line.Well done to you,your family
,Holly & Duffy as well.
I can't wait to hear Bookie's installment's & hopefully a few photos
too-Photos do tend to speak volumes when you see them,don't they?
I also look forward to your's too.Well done to you all!
S)

Old December 26th 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

sheelagh wrote:
[...]

where si the case to be heard? where was the small holding? i know you
cannot give oput the woman's name or anything but knowing when and
where the case will be heard will make it easier to follow it.
Sometimes stuff about animal cruelty does not hit the national press
but only features in local press, unless it is huge like the one about
the 100-odd yorkshire terriers found in disgusting conditions in a
puppy farm in sussex after the old dear who ran it died (and her sons
claimed they knew nothing about it, yeah right!!!!)

have no worries about seeing it through and making sure this womans
gets what she deserves, she has no excuses, this is not just a case of
ignorance it is wilful neglect, you are doing to the right thing in
testifying.

Bookie

Old December 27th 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

where si the case to be heard? where was the small holding? i know you
cannot give oput the woman's name or anything but knowing when and
where the case will be heard will make it easier to follow it.
Sometimes stuff about animal cruelty does not hit the national press

Pity!!!

but only features in local press, unless it is huge like the one about
the 100-odd yorkshire terriers found in disgusting conditions in a
puppy farm in sussex after the old dear who ran it died (and her sons
claimed they knew nothing about it, yeah right!!!!)

Tell me?!!
The initial hearing is to be held in Hampshire @ a Magistrates
court,where the bench has to decide whether the case can be heard by
them.If they feel that the case/crime is so serious,I believe what they
do is send it on the crown court,which would be far better outcome.
From what I can understand,If the magistrates court do feel it is

within their duristriction, they can only impose a mamximum penalty of
upto 12months in prison(which as we all know means 1/2 the amount will
be served,& if she has a good behaviour record,perhaps even less & she
will be kicked out with a tag around her ankle;not really a sence at
all is it?..which feels very wrong) & a nice whacking great huge
fine.However,should they decide that the charge is so serious,... what
they do is send it on the the crown court, to be heard at a later date.
This would be far more preferable I understand, because the case will
be heard by a judge & jury too.Also the maximum penalty is far worse,&
she can be banned from ever owning any more animals ever again(after a
lengthy holiday @ her majesty's pleasure in Holloway... hopefully of
course!!).I know that this is what the Rspca are hoping for as well as
the Cps as well.
The excuses are unbelievable & she has already managed to get the 1st
hearing postponed once by pretending to be suicidal & unable to attend
the last schedualed hearing-but she won't be able to play that one any
more than once, because the case will be heard in her absence I am
told.As a result of becoming involved in this case,It has also made me
far more aware of what the Rspca are up against in their daily work &
for what they strive to achieve too.They do some incredible things to
try & ensure that people that don't deserve to animals, are
stopped;they also face some horrific sights as well.I admire thier
stamina~I would just loose it & hang the offender from the nearest tree
I could find?!!

have no worries about seeing it through and making sure this womans
gets what she deserves, she has no excuses, this is not just a case of
ignorance it is wilful neglect, you are doing to the right thing in
testifying.

I hope so.You wouldn't believe some of the e-mails that I have recieved
concerning what she will do to me If I go ahead and testify what I know
(which to be honest, is hardly anything at all...only the facts as I
have presented them.I bought a cat from a nice spick & span farmhouse,
but then discovered that the cat was riddled with ringworm,& flea's
that where so bad that she had a pink tinge to her coat!)
Initially I was just annoyed.But, the more that I thought about it, I
reasoned that if Tiggs had it,there was a large possibilty that the
other cats were likey to have it as well-It was pure chance that the
other breeder that I met there gave me her card.Otherwise I wouldn't
have known her from Adam & none of this would ever have come to
light.(I wonderd why after a 2.5hour drive all the way down there,she
didn't even offer us a cup of tea,&was most reluctant to even allow us
to use her lavatory-now I know why!!!!!)
*I will* let you know what happens as soon as the case is heard.
It has made me so much more aware of what the Rscpa see,& also have to
deal with as well.It is sickening really(I also hope that none of the
other people due to testify don't drop out or withdraw their satement's
as well- the less people that are willing to come forward,the less
chance they have of ensuring that this never happens again.It's easier
for me,because I don't live anywhere near this individual.But a lot of
the others do,& it might not be quite so easy for their neighbors to
testify against them ,nevertheless, they are the most vital ones that
need to
You sound about as tolerant as I am!!!?
S.

Old December 27th 06, 06:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

sheelagh wrote:
snipped
But when I found out that poor Tigg's
had ringworm & had obviously had it for sometime too-I decided to try &
contact the other breeder that I met there,buying all *7Bengalis* from
her, to see if she had the same problem that I did too-& guess
what..???OF COURSE She did of course!!At that point, I went straight to
the Rspca,as did the breeder that bought all 7Bengali cats from her as
well,& *we both reported the case to the Rspca.*

Just curious, but I have never heard of a "Bengali". I assume it's the
same breed that we call "Bengals"?

It is a cruelty case ,& will be heard in court on the monday 5th feb
07.All animals were removed from the farm in question,& both the
bengali breeder & I have to apprear to testify on Mon 5th Feb 07.(they
would never have removed all of the animals if they thought for one
moment that they wouldn't get a guilty verdict, would they?)

Things probably differ in the UK, but here, the animals are
automatically removed as evidence, until such time the judge makes a
ruling dismissing ownership by the defendant, or the defendant
voluntarily relinquishes the animals. The defendant is required to
reimburse shelters/foster homes for all expenses in their upkeep until
such time and they are no longer legally owned by the defendant.

snipped

The problem of
course,is that because she is not actually loosing wieght,but gaining
all be it slightly, I am told not to be overly concerned-the problem
is, that I am!

Seriously, if this cat is a former kitten-mill cat, I'd take her
immediately for a complete workup. Kitten millers don't spend money on
veterinary care for either the breeding stock *or* the kittens. Your
cat could theoretically be infected with about anything. Has she been
tested for the usual cat diseases? OTOH, some cats just don't gain
weight quickly because they are picky eaters. That could very well be
the case, and she is just normally always going to be a petite kitty.

Her behaiviour is probably the most concerning-she will do anything
that she can to hide from the other cats, or climb beyond their reach.I
think I have myself a real problem here

Kitten mill cats just don't make good pets for the public at large.
It's good that you have a lot of experience with cats and don't expect
her to be the perfect pet. It's not unusual for them to be poorly
socialized, or be fear biters, or just plain fearful of everything. We
had such an outpouring of people wanting to adopt from the last puppy
mill we busted, because there was so much media attention. Most people
had good hearts and good intentions, but had no idea what they were
getting into. Not for the beginner or casual pet owner, for sure.

Sherry

Old December 27th 06, 07:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

sheelagh wrote:
I hope so.You wouldn't believe some of the e-mails that I have recieved
concerning what she will do to me If I go ahead and testify what I know

I hope you have kept all those emails, print them out too, they could
be used in a charge of witness intimidation if they are from people
connected with the woman being tried. OR (info gleaned from my brother
who works for the CPS) you only need 2 instances of such contact, be it
emails, letters whatever from the same person and you can have them for
harrasment and that is a criminal offence not a civil one so you can
take the material that these people have sent you to the fuzz and get
them to deal with it (providing that 2 or more of the emails come form
the same person, sounds they wil be stupid enough to do this if they
are supporting this woman).
how on earth can they justify defending what this woman has done? if
you feel scared or threatened at all go to the police, take print outs
of the emails with you, tell them what is happening, they will take
this kind of thing seriously.

this greedy bitch need stringing up

best fo luck with it all and keeps me posted, Bookie