More poison for our pets......... :-(

Old December 8th 09, 04:59 PM posted to alt.cats,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Kelly Green[_2_]

Default More poison for our pets......... :-(

We can't even buy safe toys for our pets now. :-(

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/news/...wnl_day_120809

Old December 8th 09, 08:36 PM posted to alt.cats,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
boot

On Dec 8, 2:07*pm, hopitus wrote:
On Dec 8, 9:59*am, "Kelly Green" wrote:

We can't even buy safe toys for our pets now. *:-(
http://www.webmd.com/parenting/news/...roup-zhu-zhu-p...

Hoping you are legit....I know all about this, having researched it in
depth. It is
not easy to comprehend. There are tons of USA parents who have bought
these
things for their kids (marketed heavily for 10 years and under) and
are unaware
of this breaking news. The toys are at this time majorly hard to find
even at a
steep increase in their previous "under $10" price each (they are a
set of plush
(stuffed) soft, cuddly, adorable looking hamster-like animals). I had
found a source
to buy them at low price by surfing the Net, for my grand daughter,
age 5. Thank
fully, I also noticed search engine headlines like your link all
regarding their danger
but not explaining the danger. I had to research antimony and after
much reading
learned that they are containing, not only inside the stuffing but on
the outside fur
and animal-face an *ingredient*...metallic but not a metal itself
(this concerns
chemistry) which is one of several which make up THE POISONOUS
INGREDIENT
IN THOSE BANNED BABY BOTTLES AND SODA BOTTLES recently headlined
for leaching harmful chemical into the liquid contained in those
bottles. This is
abstract thinking, but yeah we are not talking bottles here....BUT GET
THIS....my
'grand daughter and many of the gifted kids would kiss and sleep with
these cute
little critters right up in their face. Antimony can leach right from
the toy into their
skin and/or lips, just like it (in the bottles ingredients) does into
the water/soda
inside them. According to Wikipedia and elsewhere.
I am aware of NO ONE who would buy these things as a pet toy...they
are *fairly
expensive, and have some mechanism which makes them "respond" to
children
by squeaking or something like that, but just because their target
market is kids
and parents of hoomins, doesn't mean some pet owner would not be
vulnerable to buy
this really cute little snuggy for their beloved pet.
I was not going to bring this to a cat ng but have now had my say re
ZhuZhu Pets.

Thank you for this notice. I stopped buying cat toys for my kitty
after reading something bad about the stuffing (can't think of what it
was exactly). All this toxic merchandise produced in the name of
cheap retail goods (hello Walmart et al) that Americans supposedly
want is such a betrayal of public trust. And also scary when I found
that I couldn't find anything to buy that wasn't made in China.

I make all my kitty's toys now, trying to only use safe components.
It's just as well, since she gets bored with the same toy after
awhile, and is always thrilled with whatever new thing I come up
with.

I hope someday soon parents and pet owners will rise up and stop this
toxic flood. I'll join in for sure.

Booted
Old December 8th 09, 08:57 PM posted to alt.cats,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Kelly Green[_3_]

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Dec 8, 9:59 am, "Kelly Green" wrote:
We can't even buy safe toys for our pets now. :-(

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/news/...roup-zhu-zhu-p...

...........this really cute little snuggy for their beloved pet.
I was not going to bring this to a cat ng but have now had my say re
ZhuZhu Pets.

Apparently people are buying them for their pets. I've bought children's
toys in the past for my cats. I have two human-child toys for them now.

Old December 8th 09, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep[_4_]

"Kelly Green" wrote in message
We can't even buy safe toys for our pets now. :-(

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/news/...wnl_day_120809

Dearie - these aren't toys for our pets (I guess a cat or dog would like to
chase one, though) but remote control toy pets - hamsters specifically.

Old December 8th 09, 10:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
boot

On Dec 8, 3:14*pm, hopitus wrote:
On Dec 8, 1:07*pm, hopitus wrote:

[...]

The OP crossposted but only to cat groups. This produced the two
posts above. Note to self: pay attention to Catnipped.- Hide quoted text -

I don't know what that means, exactly. My post was produced by me, a
long-time member of RPCA on Google Groups. I just happened to go to
this group and read it today. But I rarely post anything.

Boot
Old December 8th 09, 10:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

boot wrote:

On Dec 8, 3:14?pm, hopitus wrote:

On Dec 8, 1:07?pm, hopitus wrote:

We can't even buy safe toys for our pets now. ?:-(
http://www.webmd.com/parenting/news/...roup-zhu-zhu-p...

Hoping you are legit.... [snip]

The OP crossposted but only to cat groups. This produced the two
posts above. Note to self: pay attention to Catnipped.- Hide quoted text -

I don't know what that means, exactly. My post was produced by me, a
long-time member of RPCA on Google Groups. I just happened to go to
this group and read it today. But I rarely post anything.

Actually, you weren't the OP - Kelly Green was. So hopitus wasn't referring
to your post. I think some of the attributions got lost in the shuffle.

Joyce

--
Taxes: Money you complain about giving the government, to pay for
services whose absence you would complain about.
Old December 8th 09, 10:57 PM posted to alt.cats,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
[email protected]

In rec.pets.cats.anecdotes boot wrote:

On Dec 8, 9:59?am, "Kelly Green" wrote:

We can't even buy safe toys for our pets now. ?:-(

Thank you for this notice. I stopped buying cat toys for my kitty
after reading something bad about the stuffing (can't think of what it
was exactly). All this toxic merchandise produced in the name of
cheap retail goods (hello Walmart et al) that Americans supposedly
want is such a betrayal of public trust. And also scary when I found
that I couldn't find anything to buy that wasn't made in China.

I try not to buy stuff from China, but it's almost impossible, since
companies all around the world outsource various phases or components
of their production. So even if the company that sells the product is
not from China, some parts of the production are almost certainly done
there. It's very hard to trace back the entire trail of shipping and
importation - you practically need a private detective to get that
information for you.

As for the "betrayal of trust", we are not going to stop the toxic
flood unless people become willing to pay for well-made, safe products.
The only reason China is able to get away with what they do is because
there is WORLDWIDE DEMAND for cheap products. And the USA is a major
customer. I'm as angry as anyone else about poisoned pet food and
toothpaste and so on, but we need to look in the mirror, too. We're
used to being able to go to Walmart and pay low prices for consumer
goods. Nobody wants to give that up. So China's going to keep supplying
the cheap goods, and that means substituting substandard materials and
manufacturing processes for safer and more expensive ones. If we want
to change this situation, we have to make that demand with our MONEY.

Old December 8th 09, 11:40 PM posted to alt.cats,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
boot

On Dec 8, 4:57*pm, wrote:
[...]

Dear Joyce,

I gave up going to Walmart a year or so ago. I don't think anyone has
noticed.

Sincerely,
A wandering shopper busily examining the tags and labels fruitlessly
searching for something made in USA, or even made in Mexico. (I found
something made in Australia the other day! It's mine, all mine!)
Old December 9th 09, 12:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla `=^..^=`

"Magic Mood Jeep"
"Kelly Green" We can't even buy safe toys for our pets now. :-(

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/news/...wnl_day_120809

Dearie - these aren't toys for our pets (I guess a cat or dog would like
to chase one, though) but remote control toy pets - hamsters specifically.

Wow, this is all totally wierd. I hate Walmart but recently found out
Target
buys stuff from Vietnam and other countries, but not China. Hmmmm.
The only thing my cats chase is the laser beam from my laser pointer, which
I can't find right now.
It is SO cold here in The Pacific NW, brrr, the low was like 18 degrees last
night and I feed some strays, who have been left behind by their owners,
which makes me so mad, I could spit nails!! I just throw some kibbles on
the back balconey for them. I have the blinds closed so I can't see them,
but I can hear their cries. Damn those inhumans!!! If you're gonna move
and can't take your pets, at least have the decency to take them to a
shelter or have them humanely pts..
don't just leave them behind!!! That is very wrong.
Sorry for the rant. I needed to vent about that.
Kyla

Old December 9th 09, 01:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cybercat

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
We can't even buy safe toys for our pets now. :-(

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/news/...wnl_day_120809

Eh? That article says the group that found them unsafe didn't know what
they were doing. They got a shiny new piece of test equipment and didn't
know how to interpret what it was telling them.

Exactly. Please, people. This has been alllll over the news. Any excuse to
panic, eh?