new cat owner tips

Old September 5th 05, 07:36 PM

Default new cat owner tips

Hi, I just adopted a 4 months old kitten this weekend will be picking
him up in a couple of days.

I need some tips as I don't have experience before,
I have purchased the dry and canned food, a litter box, food water bowl
etc, bed, a scratching post and a horizontal scratcher.

It will be an indoor cat only, he is supposed to be toilet trained and
I want to know how can I get him to use my new one?

Do I introduce him to the scratcher right away? The scratching post
is sisal and it is rather short, should I get a bigger one?

What is considered a "treat" for them?

Should I add catnip and / or catmint to my herbs garden?

Would it be a good idea to move things like bed, feeder or toilet after
a while? I have not really decided where things would be ultimately
placed, like if I want him sleeping in my bedroom or living room yet.

I would like to provide the loving and care for him the best I can! I
am prepared for him making a bit mess or damaging some stuff, but I
want to make this go smoothly and establish a good bond with him!

Old September 5th 05, 08:57 PM
Charlie Wilkes

On 5 Sep 2005 11:36:23 -0700, wrote:

Hi, I just adopted a 4 months old kitten this weekend will be picking
him up in a couple of days.

I need some tips as I don't have experience before,
I have purchased the dry and canned food, a litter box, food water bowl
etc, bed, a scratching post and a horizontal scratcher.

It will be an indoor cat only, he is supposed to be toilet trained and
I want to know how can I get him to use my new one?

He will probably use it instinctively if you show him where it is.

Do I introduce him to the scratcher right away? The scratching post
is sisal and it is rather short, should I get a bigger one?

See how he likes it.

What is considered a "treat" for them?

AquariYums. They come in a little plastic bottle in the cat-food
aisle.

Should I add catnip and / or catmint to my herbs garden?

Grow some pot. They love it.

Would it be a good idea to move things like bed, feeder or toilet after
a while? I have not really decided where things would be ultimately
placed, like if I want him sleeping in my bedroom or living room yet.

You needn't bother. He'll decide all that for you.

I would like to provide the loving and care for him the best I can! I
am prepared for him making a bit mess or damaging some stuff, but I
want to make this go smoothly and establish a good bond with him!

Try having him around and NOT bonding with him. That would be more of
a challenge.

Have fun!

Charlie
Old September 5th 05, 10:13 PM
Sandra

Cat Owner?!!! Sorry, but it is the other way around, you belong to him!

Put the litter box somewhere quiet and private, and gently put him in it
after he has eaten. Cats soon get the idea.

Food and water should be kept away from the litter box (you don't eat in
your bathroom). He will sleep where he wants, it is unlikely he will use his
bed unless he thinks he shouldn't!

If he starts to scratch where you don't want him to, place him near the
scratch post.

Enjoy your new friend.

--
Sandra

Old September 5th 05, 11:02 PM
Rebecca Root

Congratulations on your new friend!!!

Here are some of my tips:

If your house is very large, and the kitty is shy of you, you may want
to start him out in one room and hang out there with him until he knows
you're his new dad. I've only ever done this with one cat over the
years, but wanted to make sure that if he chose to hide from me, it
would be within in a restricted area. It only took Riley 2 hours to
decide that I was "mom", and he only stayed in the restricted area one
night.

Litter boxes:
I ditto what's been said. Just set your new friend in the box as soon
as you come home with him. Some cats are so thrilled they hang out in
the box awhile, but this stops as soon as they actually use if for its
intended purpose. Litter scratching is a little messy, so put something
under the box and out a foot or two all around. Newspaper works well.

Toys
You should get a pull toy to play with your cat. Kittens have lots of
energy, and this is a great way to enjoy your time together. As you
pull it, think of it as prey that hides and then makes a run for it.
Pet stores are full of cat pull toys.

Sleeping
Many, if not most, cat owners let their cats sleep in their beds with
them. It's very pleasant for you and good company for them. A lone
kitten needs social time with you, and if you work, may be lonely for
part of the day. The night time with you is easy on you, but is
comforting to the cat. That said, you may have a week or two of less
sleep than usual as your kitten adjusts to your schedule. In my
experience, my kittens have always started off wanting to sleep on my
face, and if not that, at least on my pillow in front of my face. Now,
I'm a sucker for my cats, but I can't stand to have the cat right in my
face, so here's the trick: Have an extra pillow. Lay down on one
pillow. When cat lays on face, slide it to laying right in front of
your face. Wait 5 minutes until cat is asleep, then slide pillow over,
and you take the spare pillow. Repeat until cat is down for the night.
Within 3-14 days, cat treats extra pillow as its bed, and you both get
a great night's sleep.

Scratching post
Your choices seem good. If you have any tall natural posts in your
house, eg, at the bottom of a staircase, you can wrap it in sissal rope
and it makes a great climbing tree/scratching post.

Entertainment
Make sure that some of your windows have furniture in front of them
that the cat can sit on and look out.

Old September 6th 05, 12:05 AM

Thank you for everyone's replies so far.

I have to get rid of most of my plants, peace lily, hibiscus, dumb
cane, etc, but I have a ficus tree (weeping fig) that I like. Is it
possible to keep this tree?

Also I changed my choice of scratching post from the short sisal post,
to the 3 story condo from walmart. I am hoping this 30" tall structure
would work as a better scratching post for them and provide some hiding
spot for my new friend.

Old September 6th 05, 12:07 AM

Forgot to mention, I also have a fireplace (no log inside and chimney
is shut) I only have a chain screen over it, the cat could probably go
in there if it wants to. Do i have to block out this area some how?
There is no danger in there I just don't want him to get all sooty.

Old September 6th 05, 12:27 AM
DevilsPGD

In message "Sandra"
wrote:

Cat Owner?!!! Sorry, but it is the other way around, you belong to him!

Put the litter box somewhere quiet and private, and gently put him in it
after he has eaten. Cats soon get the idea.

Food and water should be kept away from the litter box (you don't eat in
your bathroom). He will sleep where he wants, it is unlikely he will use his
bed unless he thinks he shouldn't!

I got Bear to sleep in the bed I bought for him by making it the only
soft thing in my office, gently discouraging him from sleeping there for
the first day, then I "gave up"

He sulked away at first, then snuck back an hour later, and since then
you can't get him out of it

--
A well-dressed man walks into a bar and asks a woman to sleep
with him for $1M. The woman is excited and she gives immediate
Old September 6th 05, 08:54 PM
Ruby Tuesday

"Sandra" wrote in message

[...]

If he starts to scratch where you don't want him to, place him near the
scratch post.

To make sure he uses the post, buy some catnip spray, and spray it on the
post.

- Ruby Tuesday