Help

Old November 10th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
Bob

Default Help

Can anyone help me about a serious clawing problem. We have 2 cats one is
very young about 1yr the other is about 10yrs. The older one has destroyed 2
couches and 1 chair. The younger GiGi uses the clawing post. The older
Chance will not he chooses the furniture instead. How can I get him to stop.
My fiancé went ahead against my better judgment and bought new couch and
chair. Chance has started on the chair. What can I do to stop him short of
the deepsix.
Bob

Old November 10th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
[email protected]

Bob wrote:
Can anyone help me about a serious clawing problem. We have 2 cats one is
very young about 1yr the other is about 10yrs. The older one has destroyed 2
couches and 1 chair. The younger GiGi uses the clawing post. The older
Chance will not he chooses the furniture instead. How can I get him to stop.
My fiancé went ahead against my better judgment and bought new couch and
chair. Chance has started on the chair. What can I do to stop him short of
the deepsix.
Bob

Have you tried the spray? You spray the stuff onto the furniture (only
they can smell it), it's supposed to stop them scratching. I got it
from the pet shop, it works for a while but you have to remember to
reapply it every couple of weeks. I also bought a catnip spray and
sprayed the scratching post with it.

Good luck

Old November 10th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
blkcatgal

Try putting a scratching post right next to where he scratches the chair,
covering where he tries to scratch. I had a cat that liked to scratch the
furniture. I had bought a new couch and he started in on the side of the
couch. I covered the area with heavy plastic (see-through so it didn't look
too bad) and that helped deter my cat from clawing there. You could try
that too.

Please don't deepsix him.

Sue

Old November 14th 06, 07:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
[email protected]

Bob wrote:
Can anyone help me about a serious clawing problem. We have 2 cats one is
very young about 1yr the other is about 10yrs. The older one has destroyed 2
couches and 1 chair. The younger GiGi uses the clawing post. The older
Chance will not he chooses the furniture instead. How can I get him to stop.
My fiancé went ahead against my better judgment and bought new couch and
chair. Chance has started on the chair.

PetSmart sells a spray catnip called "WhiskerCity." It works great
on scratching posts.

Old November 14th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
krazy

Can anyone help me about a serious clawing problem. We have 2 cats one is
very young about 1yr the other is about 10yrs. The older one has destroyed 2
couches and 1 chair. The younger GiGi uses the clawing post. The older
Chance will not he chooses the furniture instead. How can I get him to stop.
My fiancé went ahead against my better judgment and bought new couch and
chair. Chance has started on the chair.

PetSmart sells a spray catnip called "WhiskerCity." It works great
on scratching posts.

Sometimes you have to consider declawing whether want to or not
especially if comes down to keeping cat or getting rid of it.

Old November 16th 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
Judy

"krazy" wrote in message

Can anyone help me about a serious clawing problem. We have 2 cats one
is
very young about 1yr the other is about 10yrs. The older one has
destroyed 2
couches and 1 chair. The younger GiGi uses the clawing post. The older
Chance will not he chooses the furniture instead. How can I get him to
stop.
My fiancé went ahead against my better judgment and bought new couch and
chair. Chance has started on the chair.

PetSmart sells a spray catnip called "WhiskerCity." It works great
on scratching posts.

Sometimes you have to consider declawing whether want to or not
especially if comes down to keeping cat or getting rid of it.

Prior to amputation or "getting rid" of a cat, there is always the option of
discipline.

Old November 18th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
Lesley

Bob wrote:
Can anyone help me about a serious clawing problem.

First of all NEVER consider delawing as an option. Yes your kitty's
will no longer damage your furniture since they won't have the option
to! But you will I gather (I live in the UK where one of the more
sensible laws we have is that unless there is a good vet reason to do
so it is illegal to mutilate cats in this way!) soon find kitty won't
use litter tray and start biting people

Try a selection of posts. I got my two owners and when they were
kittens I got a cheap scratching post they never used (apart from to
enable them to reach the back of a chair to attack that) Later found
out the post probably wasn't tall enough for a grown cat to use it and
as it was sitting on the floor and wasn't stable they may have been put
off from using it

I had sorta resigned myself to ruined furniture (But who cares? They
are worth it!) when I chanced upon Cosmic cat scratching posts which
are made of cardboard and flat and as the place was selling them for
1.50 I thought it was worth a try...

Within a second of opening the box and putting the post down I had both
of them on the post and scratching away happily! No training needed!
Since then they have been no problem seems this is the post they both
liked. Problem is Cosmic only sell to the US most of the time and after
getting a couple of replacements the stall that was selling them told
me they got them as part of a job lot and would not be able to get
anymore bargain cheap scratching posts

Guess who ended up on eBay finding the only UK address selling the
right posts and hitting the "Buy it now" button to get 4 posts which
with postage were almost 25.00!

Then again the cats are happy so who cares?

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old November 19th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
Veloise

Lesley wrote:
Guess who ended up on eBay finding the only UK address selling the
right posts and hitting the "Buy it now" button to get 4 posts which
with postage were almost 25.00!

Next time, try posting something on a message board frequented by
travelers and cat lovers (or vice-versa). Folks on my sewing group
help each other out like this all the time!

--Karen D.

Old November 26th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
Lesley

Judy wrote:

Prior to amputation or "getting rid" of a cat, there is always the option of
discipline.

Thanks for beating me to it Judy!!!

Rant mode on

As I live in the UK where declawing is not legal people say I should
not comment but let me say it again

I FAIL TO UNDERSTAND WHY MUTILATION OF A LIVING ANIMAL SHOULD BE DONE
TO PROTECT AN UNLIVING OBJECT!!

If that makes me stupid at least my cats have their claws........

Rant mode switched off again