Stuck myself with the cat's lancet

Old June 22nd 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.support.diabetes
Michelle C

Default Stuck myself with the cat's lancet

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Jun 22, 1:03 am, Oleg Lego wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 16:16:09 -0700 (PDT), hopitus posted:

On Jun 21, 4:35 pm, "W. Baker" wrote:
In alt.support.diabetes Richard Evans wrote:
: The cat and I are both diabetic. I check my own sugar 6-8 times per
: day, I check his twice. We have separate glucometer kits. Today,
while
: preparing to check the cat's sugar, I had a brain fart and instead
of
: lancing the cat I lanced my own forearm with a lancet that had been
: previously used on the cat.

: I immediately rinsed it with alcohol, but what are the chances I
: caught anything from the incident?

Well, if you start to prowl at night and start to grow whiskers, I
would
begin to worry:-)

Wendy

First - to Richard Evans, who has diabetes much worse than I do,
obviously.
I am on *your* side, dude...only criticism of you I have is that you
joined
the chorus of fruitcakes posting what *MOST* diabetics do with their
lancets (reuse or not)! My sugar range is always less than 200. I have
other health concerns than Type 2..

Many of us do have other health concerns, of course.

One thing though, many of us here would be trying hard to figure out
what went wrong is we could describe out sugar range as "always less
than 200". Personally, I want to describe it as "always under 140",
regardless of when I test.

Now: how do we know Mr. Evans does NOT prowl at night, or if he indeed
has whiskers? Answer: we don't.
Mr. Evans please do not confuse my posts with the other wacko(s) who
badmouth you about the lancets. Thank you.

--
roses are #FF0000
violets are #0000FF

Please do not misunderstand....I was *not* belittling your glucose
level or
level of diabetes by relating my usual level. Without describing my
health
problems in detail I will truthfully state that I am fairly sure that
what will
kill me will *not* be diabetes, due to other factors. Frankly, most of
what
I read on your website about it was *way* over my head and in my
personal
battle led by my doc (internal medicine) the enemy is *triglycerides*
and
CAD....a different ballpark (or battlefield, if you will).

High triglycerides are due to high BGs--excess BG is converted into
triglycerides. So if one of your main issues is triglycerides, then one of
your main issue IS diabetes. If you get your BGs down, your triglycerides
will come down.
--
Best regards,
Michelle C., T2

Old June 22nd 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.support.diabetes
percy

Richard Evans wrote:
hopitus wrote:

why are you reusing lancets??
Because that's been my practice for over ten years. Most diabetics
change lancets once or twice a year , if that.

Heh...is your doc living on S.S.? And how do YOU know what "most
diabetics"
do?

Based on repeated threads on alt.support.diabetes over many years.

Please read last sentence of my other post here. Who are YOU to
jump
on this dude. No one is landing on you for what you choose to do.

Uh, yes, they are. So far, nobody has answered my question, just
ragged on me for reuising lancets.

I've poked myself with the cats' lancets and syringes many times. Don't
sweat it. Worst case scenario is you'll come down with cat scratch
fever, but not likely.

The easiest way to forget all about lancet changes is to not bother
using a lancing device on the cat. Use just a naked lancet and a wadded
up cotton ball and poke the vein that runs around the outside of the
ear. It's completely painless, though it sometimes bleeds quite a bit. A
little pressure with the cotton ball for 30 seconds will staunch the flow.

Oh, and I'm T1 with an insulin pump and test 6 times a day minimum and I
change my lancet once a year - on St. Swithin's Day (July 15).

Unless I forget.

Vicki
Animas 2020
2 cats DM for 5 & 4 yrs.
Old June 23rd 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.support.diabetes
UncleEnrico

Richard Evans wrote:
The cat and I are both diabetic. I check my own sugar 6-8 times per
day, I check his twice. We have separate glucometer kits. Today, while
preparing to check the cat's sugar, I had a brain fart and instead of
lancing the cat I lanced my own forearm with a lancet that had been
previously used on the cat.

I immediately rinsed it with alcohol, but what are the chances I
caught anything from the incident?

I'm going to take a wild guess here, Richard. I'm betting you will be ok
having lanced yourself with your cat's lancet. I could be totally wrong,
but I just don't believe you're in for any serious exchange of harmful
bodily fluids with what a lancet might carry. I think you'd be in more
trouble if your cat bit you and broke your skin.

As for lancet changing, I change them about once every two weeks and
many on ASD claim to change them much less often.
Old June 23rd 08, 04:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.support.diabetes
MaryL

"Richard Evans" wrote in message
The cat and I are both diabetic. I check my own sugar 6-8 times per
day, I check his twice. We have separate glucometer kits. Today, while
preparing to check the cat's sugar, I had a brain fart and instead of
lancing the cat I lanced my own forearm with a lancet that had been
previously used on the cat.

I immediately rinsed it with alcohol, but what are the chances I
caught anything from the incident?

This just occurred to me (belatedly, I admit). Is your tetanus immunization
up-to-date? If not, it's possible you should do that. Ask your doctor.

MaryL

Old June 23rd 08, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.support.diabetes
GysdeJongh

"Richard Evans" wrote in message
The cat and I are both diabetic. I check my own sugar 6-8 times per
day, I check his twice. We have separate glucometer kits. Today, while
preparing to check the cat's sugar, I had a brain fart and instead of
lancing the cat I lanced my own forearm with a lancet that had been
previously used on the cat.

I immediately rinsed it with alcohol, but what are the chances I
caught anything from the incident?

Hi Richard Evans,
diseases transmitted from cats to humans or Cat-Associated Zoonoses :
http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/reprint/162/17/1945
In the United States, it is estimated that there are at least 57 million pet
cats living in one third of all households.Cats are a source of
companionship and enjoyment to many people, but they can also transmit a
wide array of diseases to humans, ranging from trivial dermatophyte
infections to life-threatening conditions, such as bubonic plague.

Not totally harmless....

Take care

Gys

Old June 23rd 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.support.diabetes
MaryL

"GysdeJongh" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Yes, but most of these are transmitted by air, bite, scratch, touch, etc. --
not by lancet. But it's still a good idea to ask questions of your
physician for something like this.

MaryL

Old June 23rd 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.support.diabetes
Cathy F.[_2_]

. ..

[...]

Or your vet, since they have a pretty high risk of doing something along
these lines to themselves (inadvertent "sticks", etc.), over the years. And
they'd know what is transmittable, & what isn't.

Cathy

MaryL

Old June 23rd 08, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.support.diabetes
Trinkwasser

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:39:51 -0700, "Michelle C"
wrote:

High triglycerides are due to high BGs--excess BG is converted into
triglycerides. So if one of your main issues is triglycerides, then one of
your main issue IS diabetes. If you get your BGs down, your triglycerides
will come down.

Agreed, I brought my trigs down from 380 to 39 and put my HDL up from
25 to 54 by cutting the carbs and intelligent substitution of fats,
principally mono and polyunsaturates but not altogether avoiding
saturated fats in decent meats.

A few of the more enlightened dieticians might agree with this
approach.

For more, Google Quentin Grady or read Gary Taubes

Cat Stuck... Clangnuts Cat health & behaviour 0 March 30th 07 02:39 PM
Cat Stuck... Clangnuts Cat anecdotes 0 March 30th 07 02:39 PM
Fat Cat Gets Stuck mikel Cat anecdotes 8 January 15th 07 05:00 AM
Harvey: Stuck with me again Lots42 The Library Avenger Cat anecdotes 7 November 1st 03 04:05 PM