I'll probably be more than unpopular

Old January 9th 12, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Default CANT WE JUST

Can't we all just agree to disagree. People are using both facebook and the
internet plus other social media. If something happens on facebook someone
can with the person permission let us know what is happening. Such as the a
candle being needed.

If you don't want to be on facebook that is fine I wont be using it myself.
It is already proven to be a problem in the real world. But if people want
to use it fine they can their right. You don't want to use it than don't
use it but people need to leave others alone about it that have not joined
this social media. The group will still be here till there is no activity
anymore. If it goes away I will be sad from all the friends that I consider
family I have made over the years not being here

Sorry not been around much too many real life issues going on to deal with.
So blanket purrs and prayers for those who needed it

Old January 10th 12, 04:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Julie_Snowshoe[_2_]

I think that Facebook isn't any less secure than this newsgroup as far
as personal information is concerned. If you search any one of the
regular posters here you'll probably learn more about their personal
life than you ever wanted to know. We've all posted OT, some of us
more personal than others and anyone can search that information.
Personally, I don't think I share a lot of personal information on
Facebook - only that information that I want to share. I never play
games on Facebook, I don't click FB links that are delivered to my
email, I understand that anyone can search my name and possibly get to
posts I've made on Facebook so I never post anything I don't want my
boss or my father to read As with anything related to the
internet, you are as secure as you allow and the best firewall is
yourself. Most of what I post is done in rpca which is a secret group
and I trust that information won't be shared, but I still would never
post anything that I wouldn't want to be shared with the world.

Just my opinion and YMMV. Julie

Old January 10th 12, 01:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default I'll probably be more than unpopular

"Adrian" wrote in message
om...
Christina Websell wrote:
For expressing this. But if previous members only announce the death of
their cat that we previously knew and loved for ages on rpca only on
Facebook, then I am afraid the candle I lit for Pearl today will be the
last that is not reported by the owner in rpca.
Facebook will be the death of this group. And I will not be on it, ever.

Tweed

I think that's cutting off your nose to spite your face, there are over
100 people on Facebook that used to post here but don't any more.

--
Adrian

I understand completely where Tweed is coming from. There are just as many
of us (if not more) who aren't on Facebook. We'd rather hear anecdotes
posted here, and yes even the sad posts. I have an account on Facebook.
Have I looked at it once since creating the account? No, I have not.

Jill

Old January 10th 12, 02:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
om...

I disagree. If previous rpca members want candles or purrs, they they
should post here. The group will die if they don't.

Exactly. And it's enabled by people that post to here from Facebook to
get
candles and wishes.
Let them come back here if they want them, is what I say.

Tweed

Usenet is already dying, many people don't even have access these days and
many prefer Facebook anyway. I don't know how you can criticise something
you've never tried.
--
Adrian

I tried Facebook. Didn't like it. And to hear tell, usenet has been dying
for decades. The only way it *will* die is if people stop using it. Sure,
most ISP's stopped carrying it because they didn't want to maintain the
servers. news.individual.net still supports newsgroups. Heck, even Windows
Mail recognizes newsgroups as a viable method of social interaction. How do
you think I'm able to post here? The problem is people are jumping ship for
something new and (they think) improved. I don't find any improvement
there, which is why I don't use my Facebook account. Not for this group,
not for anything.

Jill

Old January 10th 12, 03:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jan 9, 10:51*pm, Julie_Snowshoe wrote:
[...]

My mileage doesn't vary much, Julie. I agree with pretty much
everything you said.
I know people who have created a totally bogus-information page, just
so they
could get access to FB-rpca. (Of course the admins. knew who they are,
or they
wouldn't have been admitted)..so I can't much opportunity for security
breach--at
least if you're level-headed about it and don't start clicking on
strange links, even
if they appear to be posted by someone you know.

I saw a quote which made me laugh, but it's so true: "If you are
tempted to
click on a random link on facebook, ask yourself this question: "Am I
an
idiot?" If the answer is yes, go right ahead."

(BTW, the "strange link" activity doesn't appear in RPCA-FB, but may
occasionally
happen on your own newsfeed page--depending on whether someone you
have
friended *has* been not-so-diligent.)

Sherry
Old January 10th 12, 04:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Julie_Snowshoe[_2_]

On Jan 10, 7:17*am, wrote:
On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 20:51:08 -0800 (PST), Julie_Snowshoe

wrote:
[...]

If you believe FB is secure, I have ten Brooklyn Bridges I can sell
you !

It was the final irony recently when someone lifted the veil on the
owners own FB - and he had the gall to threaten to sue !!- Hide quoted text -

I never said it was secure - I said I don't have any information on my
FB page that would compromise my security. As far as getting viruses
and other nasty bugs from FB - I can do that just fine from my email,
thank you very much
Old January 10th 12, 04:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Julie_Snowshoe[_2_]

On Jan 10, 10:42*am, Sherry wrote:
[...]

Sherry- Hide quoted text -

Love the quote!! I don't "friend" anyone that I don't personally know.
I don't accept invitations to particpate in anything from anyone, I
don't click on Yahoo news links. I don't even click on email messages
that tell me my niece has tagged me in a photo, lol! I go to her FB
page and look at the photo. Julie
Old January 10th 12, 05:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan M[_2_]

I never said it was secure - I said I don't have any information on my
FB page that would compromise my security. As far as getting viruses and
other nasty bugs from FB - I can do that just fine from my email, thank
you very much

That's the only sane approach. Same as with Usenet - just assume that
everything you post (to Usenet, Facebook, Twitter, or a bunch of other
sites) will be available for everybody to read, forever. If you take that
view, you won't be disappointed.
Old January 10th 12, 06:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Alison[_4_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message

I understand completely where Tweed is coming from. There are just as
many of us (if not more) who aren't on Facebook. We'd rather hear
anecdotes posted here, and yes even the sad posts. I have an account on
Facebook. Have I looked at it once since creating the account? No, I
have not.

Jill

I haven't used my FB account either! I much prefer Usenet or web based
forums . I haven't posted here often but have lurked here for years and
this group was always busy and one of the nicer, friendly groups! It seems
FB will be the death of Usenet.
Alison

Old January 10th 12, 07:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
[...]

The main thing I use Facebook for is to remind me of people's birthdays.
Then I write on their wall. I did that recently for a woman who used to
post to one of my newsgroups. She responded that maybe we could stay in
touch through Facebook, so I will probably write on her wall occasionally.
However, I prefer newgroups and email over Facebook for communicating.

Joy