Too cold

Old January 17th 04, 06:43 PM
Stacey

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Marina wrote:
It's only about -10 C now.

Dang! I don't think I've ever experienced such cold temperatures. The
coldest I've ever felt was here in Austin last March, when we had a
freak cold spell that dropped temperatures to -8C for one night (that's
17F for those of you without a sensible measuring system)... ;-)
I was freezing!!!

The coldest I've experienced was -17°C about zero Fahrenheit, I'd rather

not
experience it again.
--
Adrian
A house is not a home, without a cat.

We beat that this week, luckily we're back up into the early teens, so we've
gotten out our shorts and barbeque grills .

Yesterday morning we awoke to no water, pipes froze sigh, and then the
pipe fixer guy chose to fix them at 7:30 this morning, sending The Moose
into a friggin barking tizzy... and we had went to bed at 4:00 AM after a
rather liquor induced night out!

Stacey

Old January 17th 04, 09:26 PM
Steve Touchstone

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 13:55:07 GMT, Victor Martinez
wrote:

Marina wrote:
It's only about -10 C now.

Dang! I don't think I've ever experienced such cold temperatures. The
coldest I've ever felt was here in Austin last March, when we had a
freak cold spell that dropped temperatures to -8C for one night (that's
17F for those of you without a sensible measuring system)... ;-)
I was freezing!!!

Ah, the coldest I've ever felt has to be when I arrived in Alaska. I
went home to Southern California for a couple weeks on leave enroute
to Fairbanks. This was in April, and let me tell you I froze that
spring. Of course after spending the winter there the next year, the
same temperatures saw me wandering around outside in shirtsleeves.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old January 17th 04, 10:46 PM
Hopitus2

Well, guess what ...I *did*, not just threaten to and therefore am unable to
enjoy/suffer/be insulted by/see any of this poster's
jokes/comments/insults/whatever at all. My RB Norwegian female friend was
not at all like this poster, at least from what we've heard from him so far.
Don't judge a country by one resident, I say, but he will remain on my hit
list of diverted messages, not because of Norway but because of what I see
here lately (and again).

"Nan" wrote in message
: On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 13:52:58 GMT, Victor Martinez
: wrote:
:
: Hans Schrøder wrote:
: All right, all right! It was meant as a joke, but on the other hand:
:
: Not really. If you wanted to make a joke you could've said "converted
: for those not using a sensible system", which most users of non-SI
: measuring units would find amusing. However, you just came through as
: rude and condescending.
:
: Comments like your's is what makes me have to do such things... grin
:
: How exactly? You like antagonizing people? That won't win you many
: friends here.
:
: On cold days like this I can do anything to keep me warm, laughing is
one of
: them. You should try it some time, too...
:
: I would laugh if it was funny. This wasn't. And for the record, I grew
: up in Mexico and learned Celcius before I learned Farenheit. I did not
: reply because I took personal offense, but because I don't like my
: friends being insulted like that.
:
: He does tend to come across rude and condescending, doesn't he? It's
: probably one of those cases of 'open mouth, insert foot'. He
: apparently wasn't taught that it's not nice to make fun of others. I
: haven't put Hans in my kill-file yet, but I've come close.
:
: Nan

Old January 17th 04, 10:49 PM
Hopitus2

What you said about "big, fat wet flakes" is the way it generally snows in
Denver. I see I've got a lot to learn. Are "ice pellets" the same as "hail"?
Once in a long while, it does hail down here, but don't hold your breath
waiting for that to happen.....

"Sherry " wrote in message
: LOL! I just woke up from a nap to find it was suddenly very dark outside.
: Not because the sun had gone down (though it has now), but because it was
: snowing so hard!
:
: --
: Marina, Frank and N
:
: That sounds beautiful. We hardly ever get a pretty snow. Usually it's
sleet or
: ice pellets or freezing rain. Or the wind is blowing so hard it snows
: horizontally. I'd love to see big fat wet flakes drifting down just once
this
: winter.
:
: Sherry
:
:

Old January 18th 04, 05:31 AM
Marina

"Steve Touchstone" wrote

Ah, the coldest I've ever felt has to be when I arrived in Alaska. I
went home to Southern California for a couple weeks on leave enroute
to Fairbanks. This was in April, and let me tell you I froze that
spring. Of course after spending the winter there the next year, the
same temperatures saw me wandering around outside in shirtsleeves.

The coldest I've experienced was a couple of winters in the 1980s, when it
went down to -38--40 C (-36--40 F). Waiting for the bus was excruciatingly
cold, but here in Finland, we don't get the day off because it's a little
cold outside. ;o) I'm amazed that the buses were running, though. Last
year's January was pretty cold, too; my brother was supposed to come and
move my stuff to the new flat together with a friend, but we had to postpone
it because the engine of the van they were borrowing had frozen. I think it
was around -30 C then.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old January 18th 04, 05:40 AM
Sherry

What you said about "big, fat wet flakes" is the way it generally snows in
Denver. I see I've got a lot to learn. Are "ice pellets" the same as "hail"?
Once in a long while, it does hail down here, but don't hold your breath
waiting for that to happen.....

No, not really hail. Well, maybe like teeny-tiny tail. It starts when it's
freezing rain, then you hear the pellets hit the window, and they're
just..well...little bitty round ice pellets. We had a thunderstorm not long ago
that was.....ice pellets and snow. They called it "thundersnow." It was weird.

Sherry
Old January 18th 04, 06:39 AM
Hans Schrøder

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Dang! I don't think I've ever experienced such cold temperatures. The
coldest I've ever felt was here in Austin last March, when we had a
freak cold spell that dropped temperatures to -8C for one night (that's
17F for those of you without a sensible measuring system)... ;-)
I was freezing!!!

Honestly, how do the Texans cope with such temperatures? That must be
extreme down there.. I guess the houses aren't built for that kind of
weather, it's more like a air conditioner zone, isn't it?

Anyway, I hope the cats are being kept indoors if something like this should
occur again!

--
Hans

Old January 18th 04, 02:30 PM
Sherry

That's the real problem a lot of times and why places that don't normally
get so cold have major problems with what to others would be "just winter".
I'm amazed on another group where people are posting how they cannot get
their heaters to get the houses above what I would call light jacket
temperatures. The houses are just not built to contain heat!

Karen

You should see us drive in ice and snow. Our Yankee friends would howl. Or
people like me, who see the highway is completely dusted with snow, thinks it's
an excuse to stay home.

Sherry