71.2km, 3barn owls and a cat

Old February 4th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default 71.2km, 3barn owls and a cat

Vernon & I went out for a pootle today. He had a meeting up at Wells on the
coast, so he & I set off by bike. It seems my nagging... err...
Whilst he attended his meeting, I went for a rather nice bowl of leek &
potato soup in a Tea Shoppe type place. The journey there & back was 71.2km
and on the way back we saw three barn owls out hunting. That was rather
pleasant. But not as pleasant as on our return to Chateau Unfit Family
where, as we rolled up to the front door, a certain one-eyed blak furry lady
came running out of the open door, to greet me with multitudinous purrs and
headbutts :-)

I am now post ride bathed and am requiring a large glass of fermented juice
of red grape...

Cheers, helen s

--

~~
you may need to remove dependence

Old February 4th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
news

Define "pootle" MLB

Pootle = leisurely cycle ride. Not speedy. 15mph on the flat: 30mph downhill
(Weeeeeeeeee!!!): walking pace uphill when it's a short, sharp 1 in 4...
requiring much huffing & puffing & turning of air blue...

Cheers, helen s

Old February 4th 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wafflycat wrote:
Vernon & I went out for a pootle today. He had a meeting up at Wells
on the coast, so he & I set off by bike. It seems my nagging... err...
Whilst he attended his meeting, I went for a rather nice bowl of leek
& potato soup in a Tea Shoppe type place. The journey there & back
was 71.2km and on the way back we saw three barn owls out hunting.
That was rather pleasant. But not as pleasant as on our return to
Chateau Unfit Family where, as we rolled up to the front door, a
certain one-eyed blak furry lady came running out of the open door,
to greet me with multitudinous purrs and headbutts :-)

I am now post ride bathed and am requiring a large glass of fermented
juice of red grape...

Cheers, helen s

I envy you, it's about 5 years since I last saw a barn owl.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.

Old February 4th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 22:24:45 -0000, "Adrian" wrote:

wafflycat wrote:
Vernon & I went out for a pootle today. He had a meeting up at Wells
on the coast, so he & I set off by bike. It seems my nagging... err...
Whilst he attended his meeting, I went for a rather nice bowl of leek
& potato soup in a Tea Shoppe type place. The journey there & back
was 71.2km and on the way back we saw three barn owls out hunting.
That was rather pleasant. But not as pleasant as on our return to
Chateau Unfit Family where, as we rolled up to the front door, a
certain one-eyed blak furry lady came running out of the open door,
to greet me with multitudinous purrs and headbutts :-)

I am now post ride bathed and am requiring a large glass of fermented
juice of red grape...

Cheers, helen s

I envy you, it's about 5 years since I last saw a barn owl.

I still fondly recall the night I saw an arctic owl of some sort
flying down the Cumberland River, here in Nashville, Tennessee. It
was completely white, with a wingspread of at least eight feet, and
flew past only 50 or 60 feet from me, with no sound whatsoever. I
subsequently learned that, in winters when rodent epidemics have
greatly reduced the food supply up north, these owls have sometimes
been seen as far South as the Gulf of Mexico. This would have been 22
or 23 years ago.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old February 5th 06, 11:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

John F. Eldredge wrote:

I still fondly recall the night I saw an arctic owl of some sort
flying down the Cumberland River, here in Nashville, Tennessee. It
was completely white, with a wingspread of at least eight feet, and
flew past only 50 or 60 feet from me, with no sound whatsoever. I
subsequently learned that, in winters when rodent epidemics have
greatly reduced the food supply up north, these owls have sometimes
been seen as far South as the Gulf of Mexico. This would have been 22
or 23 years ago.

Was this the kind of owl you saw?
http://www.owlpages.com/owls.php?gen...ies=scandiacus
It's only got a wingspan of abt 4.5-5.4 feet tho.

--
Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old February 5th 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 11:01:54 GMT, "Christine K."
wrote:

John F. Eldredge wrote:

I still fondly recall the night I saw an arctic owl of some sort
flying down the Cumberland River, here in Nashville, Tennessee. It
was completely white, with a wingspread of at least eight feet, and
flew past only 50 or 60 feet from me, with no sound whatsoever. I
subsequently learned that, in winters when rodent epidemics have
greatly reduced the food supply up north, these owls have sometimes
been seen as far South as the Gulf of Mexico. This would have been 22
or 23 years ago.

Was this the kind of owl you saw?
http://www.owlpages.com/owls.php?gen...ies=scandiacus
It's only got a wingspan of abt 4.5-5.4 feet tho.

It looks similiar to what I remember, although after this time it is
hard to be sure, but the above page states that they are active in the
daytime, and I saw my owl about 3 AM. So, it may have been a
different species, or I might have overestimated its size. I was
working as a factory security guard next to the river.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from