I got picked on by blacks and Irish people for being Jewish but I must love these people

Old December 5th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default I got picked on by blacks and Irish people for being Jewish but I must love these people

"ScratchMonkey" wrote in message
. ..
"Yowie" wrote in
:

People with Asperger's syndrome also fall into the the "Austism
Spectrum Disorder" category, although, again, its debatable as to
whether they are actually disabled or just do and think things
differently than most. There's also mild cases and severe cases of
Asperger's - I'm suggesting that at least the milder cases of
Asperger's are what previous generations used to call "Geek". I could
be wrong.

The term "spectrum" suggests a 1-dimensional measurement, but I think this
is really n-dimensional, with several characteristics coming into play.

This is one of those cases where I think the term "differently-abled"
applies. Aspies have strengths in ability to concentrate, while often
lacking social skills.

And it's precisely this lack of social skills that makes life difficult for
them, and often leads to their parents asking for them to come into care as
teenagers. We never do this. The answer is some respite care, either from
a residential school placement, or for the child to have foster care for,
say, one weekend a month. It gives the parents a break.

I see it as similar to the differences in tall and
short people. I'm tall and can reach high shelves, but am pretty
uncomfortable in cramped seating (eg. airliners) and would not be a good
candidate for working in small spaces (eg. wiring the inside of a Cray
supercomputer; Cray hired very small women to do this).

I don't see Asperger's at all like this.

I don't think "geek" quite captures it, because that might mean one is
just
smart. There's also a degree of social outcast involved.

Geek does not capture it at all, although a lot of Aspies are geeks. The
social outcast part comes from the total lack of social skills which is
typical of this syndrome.

Tweed

Old December 6th 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"Dan M" wrote in message

http://links.neurelitism.com/

Click the drop-down titled "Some Online Tests for the Autism
Spectrum."

The poster recommends http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

I got a much higher "aspie" score on this one - 160 out of 200.
Interesting.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Only 114 for me on the latter one. Now I'll have a try at the other.

Your Aspie sco 132 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) sco 85 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

There were questions that I answered a '1' to, but wanted would have really
liked a scale of 1-5 or more to answer more appropriately.

Yowie
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old December 6th 08, 01:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

Click the drop-down titled "Some Online Tests for the Autism
Spectrum."
The poster recommends http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

Looks pretty crappy to me. I didn't do the test (I will NOT go through
the foofaraw of registering just so I can answer somebody's questions)
so I looked at the questions as listed in the guide for translators.
The problem is that some of them (most of the earlier ones) are vague,
trivial and very weak indicators of Asperger's or anything else, while
a few (mostly later on) are to be taken very seriously indeed. But the
trivialities and the serious ones are scored the same. I know I'd
score fairly high on the trivial ones and zero on the ones that matter.

And he cites a bunch of questionnaires in the same field, but not MMPI
or DSM-IV. Why on earth not?

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old December 6th 08, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Yowie wrote:

Your Aspie sco 132 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) sco 85 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

How come the numbers don't add up to 200? 132 + 85 = 217 - where did the
extra 17 answers come from??

Mine was 84 out of 200 for Aspie, 125 out of 200 for NT. Definitely NT.

I should go back and answer it as though it were about me at age 8 or
so. The result might be quite different.

There were questions that I answered a '1' to, but wanted would have
really liked a scale of 1-5 or more to answer more appropriately.

I always feel that way with surveys.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old December 6th 08, 01:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"ScratchMonkey" wrote in message
. ..
"Yowie" wrote in
:

People with Asperger's syndrome also fall into the the "Austism
Spectrum Disorder" category, although, again, its debatable as to
whether they are actually disabled or just do and think things
differently than most. There's also mild cases and severe cases of
Asperger's - I'm suggesting that at least the milder cases of
Asperger's are what previous generations used to call "Geek". I could
be wrong.

The term "spectrum" suggests a 1-dimensional measurement, but I think this
is really n-dimensional, with several characteristics coming into play.

This is one of those cases where I think the term "differently-abled"
applies. Aspies have strengths in ability to concentrate, while often
lacking social skills. I see it as similar to the differences in tall and
short people. I'm tall and can reach high shelves, but am pretty
uncomfortable in cramped seating (eg. airliners) and would not be a good
candidate for working in small spaces (eg. wiring the inside of a Cray
supercomputer; Cray hired very small women to do this).

I don't think "geek" quite captures it, because that might mean one is
just
smart. There's also a degree of social outcast involved. The nutty tribal
shaman was probably an aspie.

Aspies refer to the rest of the population as "neuro-typicals" or NT's.

I mentioned the test on an aspie mailing list and was directed to this
page
of other tests:

http://links.neurelitism.com/

Click the drop-down titled "Some Online Tests for the Autism Spectrum."

The poster recommends http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

Oh Bog. I took the recommended test and came up with a score of 166/200 and
am very likely an Aspie. Why am I not surprised.

Pam S.

Old December 6th 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

wrote in message
Yowie wrote:

Your Aspie sco 132 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) sco 85 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

How come the numbers don't add up to 200? 132 + 85 = 217 - where did the
extra 17 answers come from??

Mine was 84 out of 200 for Aspie, 125 out of 200 for NT. Definitely NT.

I should go back and answer it as though it were about me at age 8 or
so. The result might be quite different.

There were questions that I answered a '1' to, but wanted would have
really liked a scale of 1-5 or more to answer more appropriately.

I always feel that way with surveys.

--
Joyce ^..^

It thought I was a bit psycho

Sshh did you hear that

Old December 6th 08, 04:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen[_2_]

On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 01:02:41 +0000, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:

And he cites a bunch of questionnaires in the same field, but not MMPI
or DSM-IV. Why on earth not?

The MMPI is copyrighted, I believe. I've never seen a copy on the
web. The MMPI also seems weird. A positive response to "I am neither
gaining nor losing weight" is correlated with a sociopathic
personality. This is not intuitive.

Apparently the author is a professional software developer but an
amateur psychologist.

On the rest of the site the story of his son is sad. Beware the
tender mercies of the state.

Bud
Old December 6th 08, 10:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

William Hamblen wrote:

The MMPI also seems weird. A positive response to "I am neither
gaining nor losing weight" is correlated with a sociopathic
personality. This is not intuitive.

Oh, dear. My weight has been stable for many years. I must be a
psychopath.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old December 7th 08, 10:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

wrote in message

Yowie wrote:

Your Aspie sco 132 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) sco 85 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

How come the numbers don't add up to 200? 132 + 85 = 217 - where did
the extra 17 answers come from??

Dunno... could be from the earlier survey type questions that weren't in the
quiz proper. Or perhaps some questions were given more than one point such
that if you answered with a '1' it gave 1 point, but a '2' gave you two.

I couldn't be bothered trying to figure it out. I did that with the MBTI
test I had (it was DOS it was that old) and figured out the weighting of
each of the 50 questions, but it took *ages* going through each variable of
each 50 questions and just changing 1 variable at a time. I'm not going to
do it again without far more motivation.....

Mine was 84 out of 200 for Aspie, 125 out of 200 for NT. Definitely
NT.

I should go back and answer it as though it were about me at age 8 or
so. The result might be quite different.

Ditto. As I've aged I've sort of learnt how to play the social game. I don't
*like* it, but am not so horrendously bad as I was when I was 8 or so.

Oddly, I've found wearing makeup a social help. Dunno why. But it seems to
say "Hi, I am normal" to people. I scrape it off as soon as I get home, but
it does seem to give a better impression than a makeupless face. It really
annoys me that this is the case because I really object to my skills being
judged by how well I apply paint to my face, but thats how it is. Its a game
and through fairly concious trial and error I feel Ive worked out enough to
get by. I still hate makeup though and find it vaguely insulting that its a
necessary thing for a women to wear to get respect when its seems the very
*opposite* of what female makeup is supposed to do gives a man respect
(wrinkles and and obviosly serious, aged face gives a man more status, the
same cannot be said for a woman)

There were questions that I answered a '1' to, but wanted would have
really liked a scale of 1-5 or more to answer more appropriately.

I always feel that way with surveys.

I'm always havign an a little internal dialogue that goes something like
"Well, I'm putting a one down, because I think its the closest to what you
think I should put, given the options available, but...."

Yowie

Old December 7th 08, 04:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default Geeks & RPGs

On Dec 4, 7:38*pm, wrote:

I've tried a couple of RPGs (D&D), but I got a little bored because it
seemed to be mostly about battles. I know there are different types of
characters, mages and bards and so forth, but most of the action and
dice-rolling has to do with fighting, and I guess I don't have a lot of
patience for that.

I've been seriously into RPG's for 17 years and it would have been
sooner but I didn't know anyone who played through I was drawn to the
idea when ADnD was first released! But I don't particularly like games
that are just about battles (unless I had a bad day at work- I am far
from the only player to walk in and say "I don't care what we do
tonight as long as I get to kill something!") my favourite game is
Vampire (but NOT the requiem!) where sometimes the most important
skills you can have include being able to negotiate with the other
side and it's called a "strategic retreat" not "running for it",
anyone who just charges into battle without a plan or even some simple
thought loses a character pretty quickly.

One of the seriously funny moments I had when running was an ADnD
player who wouldn't listen- he was playing a 14th generation and
assumed that was like a 14th level character in ADnD- for those who
don't know the higher level the better- the lower the generation the
better and he asked what generation another character was and I
pointed out that asking such questions were rude but given you are a
new kid in town and he's the local prince it must be lower than yours
(I had told the guy it didn't work the same way but he didn't get it).
He memorably annouced his next action "I will kill him because he's
less powerful than me and then I will be prince!"

By this point we're all staring at him and trying to warn him but no
he went ahead.....It wasn't even a fight he stormed into the prince's
chambers waving a sword and the prince simply looked at him and went
"Stop!" and he then found he couldn't take another step forward (for
those interested in the mechanic he was being hit by dominate 1-
wielded by a 6th generation)

What followed was humiliating...thankfully after that the player
bothered to read the rules! He;s still playing only better but if he
ever gets out of hand players still refer to the "prince's footstool"
incident....

Funny thing is someone asked me why I didn't really get into board
games and I said "The rules are too complicated" and they gave me a
very odd look and said "But you play RPG's"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs