My Cat has turned into a Bully towards my Other Cat-Help

Old October 17th 05, 10:07 AM
IBen Getiner

Default My Cat has turned into a Bully towards my Other Cat-Help

lisa1124 via CatKB.com wrote:
Hi all, I have two cats, Boo-3 and Bella-2 (both spayed). Bella has always
been playful and lovable, Boo is a little more independent but lovable and
used to occasionally play well with Bella. Now Boo has turned into a complete
bully with Bella - to the point that Bella is biting two spots on her back
(hot spots). Bella is constantly looking behind her back to see if Boo is
nearby. When she is in bed with me cuddling and suckling, she will constantly
stop, turn her head to see if Boo is nearby. Boo will chase her down and
rough house way too aggressively. The only thing new is a 37 gallon
freshwater fish tank. Also, I feed Bella in the kitchen and Boo in another
room. I do this because Boo wouldn't eat in the kitchen with Bella. Should
I feed them both in the kitchen in separate areas? How can I stop Boo from
being such a bully?

Hi, Lisa....

We went thru almost this same exact thing about a year ago. The best
thing that you can do to solve your problem is to do what we did... You
need to chose between the two, which one you want to keep, and then
make the other one an outside kat. That's what we did, and all parties
are much happier now that all that's behind us.

IBen

Old October 17th 05, 08:40 PM
cybercat

wrote in message
the cat won't hate you. cats are smart. she'll realize you are trying
to make things better. of course you may get a dirty look the first day
or two.

Ask others or Phil P. He has some good info although he gets irascible
at times. Maybe if we fed him, he'd be sweeter

There are times when you are not only smart but very likable.
Sweet even.

FWIW.

Old October 17th 05, 08:41 PM
cybercat

"lisa1124 via CatKB.com" u14942@uwe wrote in message
I think you may be right. Her mood swings are crazy. She will sleep like
baby, then she will get up, go to the litter box, and then bounce out of
the
box like a race horse. There has been alot more urine in the litter
boxes.
I better get her to the vet. Can you give me more symptoms for diabetes?

I know that one symptom is increase in urine volume. I hope
she is okay. Let us know what the vet says.

Old October 18th 05, 01:41 AM
Rebecca Root

On 2005-10-16 18:05:21 -0600, "lisa1124 via CatKB.com" u14942@uwe said:

I would love more advice regarding reintroduction. The only place I could
put one would be in a bathroom (where one of the litter boxes is located).
How do I decide which one to put in the small room and how do I keep her from
hating me for doing it?

Somebody else posted the maxhouse site so I won't dig it out. If you've
had a chance to read that, you probably already realize that they take
turns being locked up so that neither gets to feel that the rest of the
house is theirs alone. I did a schedule of, roughly, 7 hours locked-up,
7 hours out, 10 hours locked-up, 7 hours out, 7 hours locked-up, 10
hours out. The 10 hour segments were overnight, so each cat got to
sleep with me every other night. Here's an outline of what the
behaviourist suggested once the cats were comfortable with each other
at the barrier:

- Give attention and treats at the barrier so that being together was a
positive experience. (I used Kitty Kaviar and a toy that I could play
with on both sides of the barrier)

- Gradually open the barrier an inch or so that they can touch noses,
if they want.

- When that goes well, hold one cat and pet it while in the room with
the other. (I couldn't do that - neither cat tolerates being held. I
just let them out for short periods and gave lots of attention with
treats and toys, and eventually we were OK)

When they first were in the same room together, they'd still get into
little tiffs; Sukey would all of a sudden get nervous and hissy. At
first I always separated at this point, but then I learned to read body
language better and could tell when she'd let it pass, so I let it
pass. It was nerve-wracking. Finally they got so they tolerated each
other: exagerated effort to avoid conflict by giving each other wide
berth. Then they got so they'd zoom around and play at the same time,
but avoid actuall interaction, and then finally they got back to
playing with each other. The point where Sukey went right up to Riley
for a face licking was the final victory. Hope all goes well with your
cat.

The diabetes discussion is interesting. I'm a teacher and I had a
student diagnosed with diabetes at age 10. One of the key symptoms was
when this very mild and balanced child started having angry outbursts.
It makes you wonder.

Old October 18th 05, 04:48 AM

cybercat wrote:
wrote in message
the cat won't hate you. cats are smart. she'll realize you are trying
to make things better. of course you may get a dirty look the first day
or two.

Ask others or Phil P. He has some good info although he gets irascible
at times. Maybe if we fed him, he'd be sweeter

There are times when you are not only smart but very likable.
Sweet even.

FWIW.

Awww, it's worth a lot

Old October 18th 05, 06:33 PM
lisa1124 via CatKB.com

Oh no - I would never do that. I love them both so much and they love me.
Things have improved slightly. Bella isn't picking at her hot spot and has
even started chasing Boo instead of the other way around. I think I may take
Boo to the vet to be tested for diabetes.

IBen Getiner wrote:
Hi all, I have two cats, Boo-3 and Bella-2 (both spayed). Bella has always
been playful and lovable, Boo is a little more independent but lovable and

[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]

Old October 18th 05, 07:08 PM
cybercat

Oh no - I would never do that. I love them both so much and they love me.

Yes, and you would never put one of them at risk by putting her outside.

Things have improved slightly. Bella isn't picking at her hot spot and
has
even started chasing Boo instead of the other way around. I think I may
take
Boo to the vet to be tested for diabetes.

That's a really good idea. And, for what it is worth, Iben likes to give
people
bad advice and upset people from what I have seen. I don't think he has any
cats.

Old October 18th 05, 07:20 PM
lisa1124 via CatKB.com

My cats will never see the outdoors except through a window. Thanks so much
Cybercat.

cybercat wrote:
Oh no - I would never do that. I love them both so much and they love me.

Yes, and you would never put one of them at risk by putting her outside.

Things have improved slightly. Bella isn't picking at her hot spot and
has
even started chasing Boo instead of the other way around. I think I may
take
Boo to the vet to be tested for diabetes.

That's a really good idea. And, for what it is worth, Iben likes to give
people
bad advice and upset people from what I have seen. I don't think he has any
cats.

Hi all, I have two cats, Boo-3 and Bella-2 (both spayed). Bella has
always

[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]

IBen

Old October 18th 05, 08:34 PM
whitershadeofpale

Default (bully cat) look! BUST THAT KATS ASS ONE TIME!

HELL, bring me the cat, I'll do it for ya!

Kats! amongst themselves, slap each other around to send out
messages...(whatever that message may be)...

why should anyone frustrate this very basic matter

yaya I know, they so cute and cuddly, but there's nothing wrong with a
little firmness when warranted. but say...look...

I wrote that headline just to get attention, I believe...behind bad
behaviour that is a cat wanting some attention. Thats all.

Give them a good dose of your undivided attention, and in the simplest
way you can express...tell them or teach them what you want...

let me know how it goes.

LUV LUV LUV! LUV is your name honey, luv is your name!

Old October 19th 05, 05:25 AM
IBen Getiner

Oh no - I would never do that. I love them both so much and they love me.

Yes, and you would never put one of them at risk by putting her outside.

Things have improved slightly. Bella isn't picking at her hot spot and
has
even started chasing Boo instead of the other way around. I think I may
take
Boo to the vet to be tested for diabetes.

That's a really good idea. And, for what it is worth, Iben likes to give
people
bad advice and upset people from what I have seen. I don't think he has any
cats.

Yes I do... A tom named Franchester. He'z the smartest kat I've ever
seen. He sits against the wall like a person reclining in a favorite
chair. He goes to hiz room on command. He stands inside his door at
bedtime each nite, just waiting for me to come out of the bath and give
him the word. He knows the rules and never breaks them. No biting. No
table-walking. No begging. No NURSING on the wife's neck (we're still
working on that one). He will at times even play fetch the ball. He
dislikes (but tolerates) our dogs. He is a loving boy who lives for
nothing more than for me to praise and adore him. Especially verbally.
We also take primary care of the neighborhood vagabond queen as well.
She hasn't a brain in her cute (but ditzy) little head! She acts and
even looks square in the eyes like Marilyn Monroe. Same spaced out
dreamy simple-minded gawk. And she is VERY feminine. That's why we call
her Marilyn.
We have two Yorkies (Ted and Fred) as well who keep Chester VERY busy!
LOL..!!

So you see, AZZHOLE... You are out there in the great HitherandYon,
a-talkin' trash. You know not from where you speak. For that reason,
you are hereby forgiven for your ignorant dirvel.

IBen