cat very very sick, HELP!

Old November 7th 06, 06:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
tension_on_the_wire

Default cat very very sick, HELP!

wrote:
She has already stated that the vet was closed when she came here.
Perhaps she was ignorant in believing people would help her here.

I have to admit that many of my recent questions went unanswered.
Everybody is quick to attack the newbies with ignorant questions, but
other people get ignored. I posted several questions about anemia, and
later about kidney failure. I never did get any real answers to my
questions.

If she did let her cat waste away, I see two issues. One, her parents
didn't raise her to take care of her pets. Perhaps they see them as
disposable. Or they just don't spend money on cats. They were there the
whole time and did nothing. They should have helped her with the care
or done it themselves. When Maynard wasn't feeling good, and I was
scheduled to work, my dad, the non-animal lover, took him to the vet
for me.

Or two, she was in denial. My mom had to take my sister's first cat to

Hi, friesian:

You make several good points. Some of them were answered very
early on in the thread, however. OP made it very clear that he/she
was not living at home, but at college, and had come home
to find the cat in this condition, and seems to have acted as quickly
as the day of the week would allow. In defense of the parents,
also, it was stated quite plainly that not only the OP, but the parents
did not have the money to even see a physician for themselves,
nevermind for the cat. So I think the severity of the financial
circumstances is pretty clear.

OP acted quite promptly upon the suggestion that there might
be a society out there that would help, and found one pretty
quickly too.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that it isn't particularly
beneficial to scare posters away from the group with
an entirely negative attitude. Especially one that is
totally judgmental and refuses to back down even in the
face of evidences that one's early assumptions were
entirely incorrect. What's the good of posting a
newsgroup with the name "health & behaviour"
and then screaming at people, new posters
especially, who dare to come here for help?
Even if they *do* need to be told to take the
cat to the vet....isn't that good advice too?

Now there's a poster who will not come here again,
who has a seriously sick cat which might survive,
and will have to live at home with the same parents,
and that poster will likely strangle before ever
coming here for help again. Good work, cybercat.
I can see you much you *really* care for that
poor suffering cat, and how much you prefer to
take out your own frustrations on people
legitimately searching for help.

--tension

Old November 7th 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote in message
oups.com...

cybercat wrote:
wrote
Rather than attacking people, why not encourage them? If you believe
she is refusing to go to the vet, then give her some strong reasons why
she really needs to go now. If the person mentioned financial problems,
then give suggestions (sell stuff, etc) and remind them why this is so
important.

Meghan, I really appreciate your view. I just disagree with you.

My reaction to someone who allows their cat to suffer until she
is wasted then comes and whines about it in a newsgroup before
it occurs to her to take the cat to the vet is the reaction this moron
got. That will likely *always* be my reaction.

I just don't see that changing.

Then call her parents and yell at them. How do you know that this girl
lives at home with her cat? How do you know that she watched her cat
waste away? Does she even have a job? I'm sorry, but the parents have
not stepped up and help. When my Maynard had an abcess, I needed to pay
$243 that day. That was a full week's paycheck then. My parents loaned
me the money.

She is an adult. A young adult, but an adult. I was her age once and I did
not look for excuses not to care for those I loved when they needed me.
Her parents may have taught her by example how to be the way she is,
but that's neither here nor there. She knew damned well the cat needed
a vet, not Usenet advice.

Old November 7th 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote in message
oups.com...

cybercat wrote:

You're entitled to your opinion. But when a decent human being is
"wigging out" over their beloved sick cat, the first place they go is
to the VET. You find a way. I found a way, and so could this idiot.
As long as she stuck around and flamed those who called her on
her idiocy, she was here for attention. Poor little whoever, worried
about her cat. Ugh. The cat had been sick for days and was skin
and bones.

Not every place has a vet open on Saturday and Sunday. The first post
appears to be on a Saturday.

There are after-hours vets in most places.

I have no respect for your efforts to try to justify this idiot's
neglect of her animal, and her self-righteous whining after it
was pointed out. Everybody needs more money that they have
at some point in time. When it comes to a creature who is
dependent on us, we should just take care of it, not work
hard for excuses why we can't. She spent more time and
effort whining about how none of it is her fault than she had
trying to get the cat the care she needed. Just like you are
expending an awful lot of effort here, when I would hope you
have better things to direct your effort to.

Life is short. Probably really short for this idiot's cat.

Old November 7th 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Sun, 05 Nov 2006 22:14:38 GMT, "mittensowner" u28710@uwe wrote:

Please let us know how your cat fared at the vet. Just ignore the
unhelpful posters. There are a lot of people on this newsgroup who can
help you with whatever condition your kitty has, and several of us who want
to know how he is doing.

--
Lynne

"Every once in a while, the tables are turned and we get to share our lives
with an animal who takes care of their human." - Tara, rpdb
Old November 7th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Lynne" wrote in message
m...
on Sun, 05 Nov 2006 22:14:38 GMT, "mittensowner" u28710@uwe wrote:

Please let us know how your cat fared at the vet. Just ignore the
unhelpful posters. There are a lot of people on this newsgroup who can
help you with whatever condition your kitty has, and several of us who
want
to know how he is doing.

I would be willing to bet the cat is still at home and still in the same
shape,
and that she will not be going to the vet today. But I hope you are right.

Old November 7th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Tue, 07 Nov 2006 14:11:52 GMT, "cybercat"
wrote:

I would be willing to bet the cat is still at home and still in the
same shape,
and that she will not be going to the vet today. But I hope you are
right.

She said she was going yesterday, and given how upset she was, I would be
willing to bet that she did. Unfortunately now she probably won't be
coming back here for help on how to care for him.

She's a kid, and she's probably had this cat since she was a little girl.
She came home from school, probably on Saturday, to find her cat in
horrible shape. She posted here for advice, and you jumped on her case and
wouldn't back down. I just don't see any point at all to running someone
off the newsgroup who so obviously needed guidance. Shame on you.

Old November 7th 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

m...
wrote:

I would be willing to bet the cat is still at home and still in the
same shape,
and that she will not be going to the vet today. But I hope you are
right.

She said she was going yesterday, and given how upset she was, I would be
willing to bet that she did. Unfortunately now she probably won't be
coming back here for help on how to care for him.

She's a kid, and she's probably had this cat since she was a little girl.
She came home from school, probably on Saturday, to find her cat in
horrible shape. She posted here for advice, and you jumped on her case
and
wouldn't back down. I just don't see any point at all to running someone
off the newsgroup who so obviously needed guidance. Shame on you.

--

And yet, I do not feel ashamed. I just feel sorry for the cat.

Old November 7th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kitkat via CatKB.com

clearly your intentions are good that you're asking for help so I'll only
moralize a little - don't take on responsibilities you're not prepared to see
through for better or worse. You were the one that chose to have a cat.

ok that aside- here's an idea - I do think borrowing money might be the only
option. Ask a friend or parents if they can afford it or whomever. You may
need to get a second job but college is an easier time to do that than
working a full time job. I do realize that students don't have much money.
I had a cat that was very ill my last year and half of grad school. I was
BROKE. But I had to figure something out. I didn't get a haircut ofr 6
months, I got a roommate after living alone, and I went out a lot less with
my friends to the bar. Did it suck - yes. But watching an animal suffering
is FAR WORSE.

ok assuming you can scrounge together some cash - I also suspect renal
failure. You'll probably need to get an IV to take home for your cat. It
looks bad at first but it's not that hard to hook it up to your cat after a
couple tries. You'll also need to put your cat on a special diet - the food
is about $20-25 a month. Then you will probably have to give him/her a pill
everyday and perhaps this liquid called derm caps. your cat's thirst may also
be related to a thyroid condition. 11 years old isn't actually that early -
many cats start to deteriorate at that age.

If you don't think you'll be able to keep this regime up you have some
difficult decisions ahead of you - I suspect that the cat is only going to
get more expensive instead of less. That said, you may need to come up with
an alernate solution. It's hard to get people to take on a sick cat, but
maybe your parents would be willing to take the cat?

I don't envy you at all and further wish you the best of luck.

Old November 8th 06, 11:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Darth Breather

cybercat wrote:
wrote
Rather than attacking people, why not encourage them? If you believe
she is refusing to go to the vet, then give her some strong reasons why
she really needs to go now. If the person mentioned financial problems,
then give suggestions (sell stuff, etc) and remind them why this is so
important.

Meghan, I really appreciate your view. I just disagree with you.

My reaction to someone who allows their cat to suffer until she
is wasted then comes and whines about it in a newsgroup before
it occurs to her to take the cat to the vet is the reaction this moron
got. That will likely *always* be my reaction.

I just don't see that changing.

Thats reely relly stupid. Peple who dont care wont come here. Theyll
let the cat dioe and get a new one. This is a college kid yr talking
abt. The familys obviously not rich. Mebbe they dont think tyhey can
afford a vet and the OPs gotta convince them.

If you want to flame bcoz you gotta flame go for it. But theres no
juswtiofcation.
driving off the OP dont help the cat any either. Good advice might.

Good luck to the OP.

Old November 8th 06, 11:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

cybercat wrote:

She is an adult. A young adult, but an adult. I was her age once and I did
not look for excuses not to care for those I loved when they needed me.
Her parents may have taught her by example how to be the way she is,
but that's neither here nor there. She knew damned well the cat needed
a vet, not Usenet advice.

If she is livingin a dorm and hasn't seen her cat for a few weeks, then
came home on a friday night (after the vet is closed), what is she
supposed to do while waiting for Monday?

Not every town has a weekend or 24 hour vet.

When I was in college, I came home from school to find that my dog had
suffered a stroke. I did not drive, and I was pretty much broke. My
parents had been out of town and would be home in a few hours. Was I a
horrible person for waiting those few hours?

Honestly, if a parent gets a pet for a child, the parents should still
be at least partially responsible for the pet for the rest of its life,
even if the child had become an adult. A college student is almost
always poor. And if she left the cat in their care, they were expected
to keep an eye on the cat and take it to the vet if needed.