Tapazole and blood clots

Old July 6th 04, 06:28 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Mary" wrote in message
s.com...

Cathy Friedmann wrote in message ...

. I don't trust vets or human doctors as a rule.

As a rule, I trust both.

Well, bless your heart. For me, the consequences of their mistakes
are potentially too high. I question, verify, requestion, and get a second
opinion when I really feel uncomfortable.

Well, of course, & so do I. As I hope all people would (although I bet not
all do). But notice, I said "as a rule". And went on to state what
follows.

Cathy

But there are exceptions, or they may be holes
within a doctor's or vet's general high level of knowledge.

Old July 6th 04, 06:31 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Mary" wrote in message
s.com...

Barb wrote in message ...
My Pepper has been on Tapazol for several years, doubling her weight from

scary 5 lbs to over 10 lbs.

I shudder to think what might have happened had I been
persuaded to put my girl on Tapazol, since she was at that
time really overweight. What are the other risks of hyperthyroid besides
blood clots?

One's entire system revving too fast when hyperthyroid: the metabolism is
too high. Therefore, basically the entire body & all of its organs are
stressed. If you Google hyperthyroidism, you'll get a ton of info.

Cathy

Old July 6th 04, 08:31 PM

In the younger man's opinion, NOTHING
but hyperthyroidism could cause a 300
bpm heart rate.

That's not a vet I'd go back to. My cat Omar was diagnosed with Dilated
Cardiomyopathy a few months ago, and his heart rate was 288 and higher.
He developed chylothorax as well, but that has resolved now that the
heart issue has been addressed. His heart rate has been brought down to
about 164 now that he's on several medications, but the prognosis is not
great as he has a pretty severe case so I have to go one day at a time
and I hope for another.

The only way to properly diagnose a heart condition is to get an
echocardiogram. If you haven't done that and a T4 test for hyperthyroid
is negative, then there aren't many other reasons the heart rate would
be so high and you'd be wise to have one done ASAP. Every day a heart
condition goes untreated is another day of more damage, and if you can
get it diagnosed and under control quickly your cat could possibly have
a good amount of time left.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke