Something weird on Camille

Old February 14th 04, 01:17 AM
Cathy Friedmann

Default Something weird on Camille

"Laura R." wrote in message
.. .
circa Sat, 14 Feb 2004 00:47:59 GMT, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Laura R. ) said,
So, last night as I was settling into bed, Camille came up for
petting. As I was giving her a rubdown, I noticed that something on
her left shoulder felt odd- almost like a mat, but more like she'd
gotten wet food glopped in her fur or something.

Well, closer inspection revealed that it was a *scab*, about the size
of a dime. However, there was no fur missing in the area- it was
growing right through the scab, and the scab isn't covering what
looks like a wound. Instead, it almost looks like really, really dry
skin, but just in this one spot. It's starting to peel up, but I
don't see any blood underneath it, and no indication that it's the
result of an injury. Just this flaking, dime-sized patch, and it's
not flaking in bits, it's coming off as a whole.

My cats don't go outside. They don't get exposed to other cats.
Camille checked out fine at her annual exam six months or so ago.
There haven't been dietary changes, no fleas ever, and the scab or
whatever it is doesn't seem to cause her any pain when I examine it
or lift the edges a little.

Anybody seen anything like this before? Could this be ringworm? She's
not scratching the area, has no hair loss, and as far as I can tell,
no other areas like this on her.

Help appreciated.

Laura

P.P.S. Camille will be going to the veterinarian, as well. I'm just
wondering if anybody has seen anything like this.

I liked this last caveat. ;-) But anyone who knows your posts, knows that
you'll take her right to the vet.

But sorry, nope, this isn't ringing a bell at all. Let us know what it
turns out to be, when you find out. As an aside, I personally doubt if it's
ringworm; for some reason I think the affected area would be hairless.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old February 14th 04, 01:37 AM
B LaVack

It could be a healed wound from wrestling with your other cats. I find
something similar on cats from time to time.

Old February 14th 04, 02:19 AM
Elizabeth Blake

"Laura R." wrote in message
.. .
Well, closer inspection revealed that it was a *scab*, about the size
of a dime. However, there was no fur missing in the area- it was
growing right through the scab, and the scab isn't covering what
looks like a wound. Instead, it almost looks like really, really dry
skin, but just in this one spot. It's starting to peel up, but I
don't see any blood underneath it, and no indication that it's the
result of an injury. Just this flaking, dime-sized patch, and it's
not flaking in bits, it's coming off as a whole.

This has happened to my cat Tiger a couple of times. I only discovered it
by petting her, her fur looked perfectly normal. Her scabs weren't as big
as a dime, but they were noticeable. It looked very freaky, with the fur
going right through it. It didn't bother her at all when I touched it and
when it eventually came off, her skin was perfectly fine underneath. I just
assumed she got it from Otto. He likes to jump on her and play rough a lot,
and he's 10 years younger than she is. My cats also don't go outside, don't
have fleas, there were no changes in diet etc. I think it must have been
from Otto.

Liz

Old February 14th 04, 03:47 AM
Sherry

Thanks, Liz and B; at least I feel a little better knowing that other
people have seen something like this. I'm going to try to get another
look at Camille's scab tonight, but she's still gonna go into the vet
unless I find signs of an Oscar-wound. :-)

Laura
--

It doesn't sound like ringworm to me. Our bouts with ringworm always had a
bald, flaky patch of skin--not really a scab. Bootsie had what the vet called a

Sherry
Old February 14th 04, 03:47 AM
Sherry

Thanks, Liz and B; at least I feel a little better knowing that other
people have seen something like this. I'm going to try to get another
look at Camille's scab tonight, but she's still gonna go into the vet
unless I find signs of an Oscar-wound. :-)

Laura
--

It doesn't sound like ringworm to me. Our bouts with ringworm always had a
bald, flaky patch of skin--not really a scab. Bootsie had what the vet called a
bacterial infection that originated from a wound--but again, the patch was
bald. It did have a scabby look though. It cleared right up with Panalog. Let
us know what you find out.

Sherry

Somethings Weird Magic Mood JeepĀ© Cat anecdotes 2 September 1st 04 05:39 AM
Weird Gardens OT Bev Cat anecdotes 13 October 17th 03 03:25 AM
Weird cats... Daniel Mahoney Cat anecdotes 1 September 26th 03 01:18 AM
weird biting question Priscilla Ballou Cat health & behaviour 1 August 1st 03 01:42 AM