Tapazole and blood clots

Old July 2nd 04, 07:40 PM
KellyH

Default Tapazole and blood clots

Has anyone ever heard of Tapazole causing blood clots? A few days ago, a
cat at the shelter who was hyperthyroid threw a clot and was rushed to the
vet's, but died. It was very sad. Somehow it's gotten around that the
Tapazole caused or contributed to the cat developing a blood clot. We have
another cat at the shelter who's hyperthyroid, and is on twice the dose that
the other cat was, and one of the volunteers said she didn't want to give
this cat the Tapazole because she didn't want her to die like Buttons did.
Sadly, this volunteer was the one who discovered Buttons and had to rush him
to the vet, so I can understand that she is hesitant. I said, without the
Tapazole, it's even more likely that Emerald (the other hyper-T cat), will
die, so until we know more, it's best to medicate her.
Anyway, I just want to get some more information on this. I wouldn't want
anyone to withold Tapazole thinking it's going to kill a cat.
--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old July 2nd 04, 07:49 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"KellyH" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know the answer. One of my cats used to take Tapazole w/ no probs,
& I have taken it for the past 6 years. I know that one has to watch liver
values for a while when it's first prescribed, & though I suppose anything's
possible, I haven't heard of common adverse side effects after that inital
time frame.

Cathy

Old July 2nd 04, 10:10 PM
MacCandace

I would think it more likely the cat was just disposed to the clot. I've
never heard of it as a side effect of Tapazole.

Me either. Maybe the cat had hypertension, too, and threw the clot because of
that. If it was because of the tapazole, I'm sure it's not very common. Poor
kitty, I'm sure he knew he was cared about at the shelter, he was more
fortunate than many others who don't have a good shelter to live in until
they're adopted.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old July 3rd 04, 02:00 AM
Betsy

Cats that are hyperthyroid are at risk for all kinds of organ damage, not
the least of which is heart. It is not at all uncommon for a hyperthyroid
cat to have secondary heart disease. Tapazole is a pretty benign drug, and
without it the cat will surely die. Any cat who is hyperthyroid should be
closely monitored for kidneys, heart, hypertension, etc. etc.

I've had several on tapazole, and yes the last one did throw a clot, but not
until age 21 after being on it for many years. And her mom & dad also had
thyroid disease, as did a couple of my other cats, with no problem as to
clotting.

Old July 3rd 04, 02:07 AM
CajunPrincess

[...]

This idea piqued my curiousity since my late Prissy had to be given
Tapazole for the last year or so of her life and I was never told that
there was a risk of blood clots nor do I ever remember seeing that
idea put out in any of the places where I looked when researching
hyperthyroidism. I just took a quick look to see specifically what
the risks and side effects of Tapazole are and blood clots are'nt
listed as one of them. I'd be kinda ****ed at the person that started
the rumor.