taste...

Old February 21st 05, 10:30 PM
Mary

"Cathy Friedmann" wrote in message

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
Just brought another bag of Science Diet home and noticed this text
"...great taste..." on the bag.

How are we to know it tastes great?

Has anyone here ever been so brave as to taste the stuff?

If so, did it taste great?

Do you think your cat will agree with your assessement of the taste?

Not necessarily (depends, after all - some cats love human food & some
don't), but then I have to assume that the "great taste" is in light of a
cat's idea of taste, not necessarily a human's...

How would a human ever know that? Think about it.

Old February 21st 05, 10:30 PM
Cathy Friedmann

news:1109024922.e6836d289166a9c2ee4d34cdef0b62c3@t eranews...

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
Just brought another bag of Science Diet home and noticed this text
"...great taste..." on the bag.

How are we to know it tastes great?

Has anyone here ever been so brave as to taste the stuff?

If so, did it taste great?

Do you think your cat will agree with your assessement of the taste?

Not necessarily (depends, after all - some cats love human food & some
don't), but then I have to assume that the "great taste" is in light of

cat's idea of taste, not necessarily a human's...

How would a human ever know that? Think about it.

Know it, to a human, or to a cat? If one's cat like it, the cat's human
would assume it tastes great to the cat. If the cat turns up its nose at
it, then the human woud assume, "Yeah, right!, tastes great... not to my
cat, it doesn't."

Cathy

Old February 21st 05, 10:31 PM

Joe Canuck wrote:

I think this "...great taste..." rhetoric is designed to appeal to the
humans buying the food.

While I'm sure you are being a little tongue in cheek about this, I
would like to add that of course it is meant to appeal to you, just
like the ingredients were put on the label for *you* to read.

-mhd
Old February 21st 05, 11:17 PM
Phil P.

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
Just brought another bag of Science Diet home and noticed this text
"...great taste..." on the bag.

How are we to know it tastes great?

Actually, I'd be more inclined to buy a cat food with a label that said
"Smells Like ****... Tastes like ****, too!" Cats clean their butts with
their tongues, so they apparently they don't think **** tastes that bad! If
they did, they'd use their paws instead! LOL!

Phil

Old February 21st 05, 11:52 PM
Mary

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
Just brought another bag of Science Diet home and noticed this text
"...great taste..." on the bag.

How are we to know it tastes great?

Has anyone here ever been so brave as to taste the stuff?

If so, did it taste great?

Do you think your cat will agree with your assessement of the taste?

Not necessarily (depends, after all - some cats love human food & some
don't), but then I have to assume that the "great taste" is in light

of
cat's idea of taste, not necessarily a human's...

How would a human ever know that? Think about it.

Know it, to a human, or to a cat?

You said "the great taste is in light of a cat's idea of taste... "

No human has any clue of what that is.

Old February 21st 05, 11:56 PM
Cathy Friedmann

news:1109029800.a8c47e7f6b7add5804a2ed66c287a41d@t eranews...

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
Just brought another bag of Science Diet home and noticed this

text
"...great taste..." on the bag.

How are we to know it tastes great?

Has anyone here ever been so brave as to taste the stuff?

If so, did it taste great?

Do you think your cat will agree with your assessement of the

taste?

Not necessarily (depends, after all - some cats love human food &

some
don't), but then I have to assume that the "great taste" is in light

of
cat's idea of taste, not necessarily a human's...

How would a human ever know that? Think about it.

Know it, to a human, or to a cat?

You said "the great taste is in light of a cat's idea of taste... "

Yeah, well.. I think it's pretty obvious that the cat food company doesn't
expect the humans who are buying the food to think it tastes delicious!
Just a marketing strategy.

No human has any clue of what that is.

As I explained: if one's cat gobbles it up, one has to _assume_ that it
tastes gfreat to the cat, but if not, then...

Jeez, IMO this is a weird thing to debate/argue about!

Cathy

Old February 22nd 05, 12:02 AM
Cathy Friedmann

news:1109030541.36c74ce2dd0319a0ff46acb221045b6b@t eranews...

&
some
don't), but then I have to assume that the "great taste" is in

light
of
cat's idea of taste, not necessarily a human's...

How would a human ever know that? Think about it.

Know it, to a human, or to a cat?

You said "the great taste is in light of a cat's idea of taste... "

Yeah, well.. I think it's pretty obvious that the cat food company

doesn't
expect the humans who are buying the food to think it tastes delicious!
Just a marketing strategy.

No human has any clue of what that is.

As I explained: if one's cat gobbles it up, one has to _assume_ that it
tastes gfreat to the cat, but if not, then...

Jeez, IMO this is a weird thing to debate/argue about!

You use the word "weird" as if that is a bad thing.

Weird idn't always bad, but in this case... how about silly?

Meanwhile, just because the cat eats it does not mean it
tastes great. You eat stuff you don't think tastes great every day.
We have no idea of what things taste like to them, look like to
them, or even smell like to them. Simple fact, no
"IMO" about it.

I'll stick w/ "IMO".

Cathy

Old February 22nd 05, 12:12 AM
Joe Canuck

Phil P. wrote:

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message

Just brought another bag of Science Diet home and noticed this text
"...great taste..." on the bag.

How are we to know it tastes great?

Actually, I'd be more inclined to buy a cat food with a label that said
"Smells Like ****... Tastes like ****, too!" Cats clean their butts with
their tongues, so they apparently they don't think **** tastes that bad! If
they did, they'd use their paws instead! LOL!

Phil

Hmm, perhaps an experiment is in order.

Remove fresh droppings from the litter box, remove all traces of litter
and place in the food dish... observe what happens over the next few
hours.

Egads! The cat may start pooping in the food dish.

I'm not certain my cat likes the taste of ****. I've noticed after she
has cleaned herself up that she has this look that appears to be one of
utter disgust on her face.

I suspect they may rely more on their sense of smell than taste and thus
the never ending "smell test" when approaching a bowl of food... even if
they have just fed 5 minutes ago.

It certain works every time I open a bottle of beer. My cat perks right
up and seems to want some. I place the bottle cap on the floor and she
starts licking it madly... if I pour a little into the bottle cap she
will lap it all up.

Takes after her human.