Mouse euthanasia

Old November 8th 05, 06:40 AM
Takayuki

Default Mouse euthanasia

Marina wrote:
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
mlbriggs wrote:
How about "flushing" it?

I don't think drowning in a whirlpool is particularly fast or painless!

I don't know either, but my mum has a friend who nearly drowned when she
was a child. She says it was a wonderful experience. She felt a sort of
euphoria at the moment of drowning. Of course, I don't know if mice can
feel euphoria. ;o)

Hmm - so autoerotic asphixiation would be a humane way to kill a mouse.
What I'd worry about when flushing is that the mouse may not drown
immediately, but suffer a prolonged and painful death. The outgoing
pipes of a house are designed to pull in air, usually from a "mudstack"
that goes to the roof. What the mouse would experience may be more
like a waterslide than a submerging.

What I've done with mice in the past is smother them with alcohol.
Rubbing alcohol, or even liquor will work. I picked this up in Biology
class for killing insect specimens, and first used it when I was
little, on a mouse that was mortally wounded by its brother. I
remember I did it quickly, efficiently, and emotionlessly, and then
when I was left holding this lifeless body, I dropped it and went
crying to my mother, who held me and comforted me, although she had no
idea what had suddenly gotten into me.

Old November 8th 05, 06:50 AM
Candace

cybercat wrote:
"Candace" wrote in message
ups.com...
223rem wrote:
Why dont you let the cat have her fun with the mouse/rat?
My cats' enjoyment is vastly more important to me than
a rat or mouse or bird.

Why does that not surprise me?

He posted pictures of dead rodents one time.

Exactly, I recall it well.

Candace

Old November 8th 05, 01:35 PM
Adrian

Default Gross warning Mouse euthanasia

Christina Websell wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
om...
Christina Websell wrote:
"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
I take the rat by the end of its tail and swing it towards the
wall of my house so it breaks its skull. I hate doing it and
have to steel myself. It

OMG!!! I just pictured this sweet lady smacking rats against the
wall! Couldn't help but smile...

I only do it to end their suffering if the cats got them and didn't
finish them off. I hate it. I'm mainly sweet but if necessary I
have a steely core to do what needs to be done.
I'm not going to take the rats to the vet to be put down at 20
dollars each now am I? :-)

Tweed

I did that with a hamster. One Sunday evening about 10 years ago,
Smokey (RB) came in through the cat flap carrying a hamster in his
mouth. I took it
away from him and saw he'd injured it, so I called the vet who said
he'd meet me at the surgery. Unfortunately the hamsters spine was
damaged and he
had to be PTS. I never did find out where the hamster came from,
despite trying.

I couldn't kill an injured hamster, I would definitely have to take
it to the vet too.

Tweed

The only time I've had to put an animal out of its misery was 20 years ago.
My great aunt's cat, Benny, had caught a baby rabbit and torn off one of its
back legs. I couldn't kill it directly so I put it behind the wheel of the
car and backed over it. Under the circumstances I think it was the quickest
and best way, but I still hated doing it.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.