OT - Amazing story about helpful people and incredible luck

Old June 3rd 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default OT - Amazing story about helpful people and incredible luck

Yowie wrote:
Congratulations. Sound like you live in really friendly place. You
picked well.

Yowie
(Now I have even more of a reason to come and visit!!!)

Yeah, this town is sooo friendly, it's unbelievable. Have you ever seen
the show Gilmore Girls? It kinda reminds me of that town, Stars Hollow.
Everyone knows each other and is super friendly. You should definitely
come and visit!
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness

"badwilson" wrote in message
Great news, I got a job today! I'm so excited!
Here's the whole story of how it happened. It couldn't have been
easier! Dennis and I have been driving around the area a bit looking
a houses trying to get ideas for what kind of house we want to
build. We found this one house we really liked and pulled over and
I got out and took some pics. I was very embarrassed when I noticed
that the people inside could see me and were watching us.
We went back home and noticed that the pics of the house didn't turn
out all that well because there were too many trees out front. So
Dennis decided we should go back and knock on their door and ask if
we can look at it. So that's what we did.
The lady was home and she's British and they have been here for 3
years. They designed the house themselves and she was very flattered
that we were interested in it. She said she remembered us as being
the picture takers from the week before. They had said to each other
either "they really like it or they hate it".
She invited us in and gave us a tour of the whole house, told us all
about the building company, etc, even told us exactly how much it
cost. Then she gave us a photocopy of the plans to the house (which
they had made themselves and it took them a year to design). The
house is a bit on the big side for us, so we plan to re-design it,
chopping off
several bedrooms and making it a mirror image to accommodate the
garage and entrance to fit the layout of our land.
Then she gave us 2 bottles of wine from the winery where her husband
is an accountant. We were just blown away by the friendliness! Above
and beyond, for sure! Mind you, everyone we've met around
here has been the same way. When going to stores, it's hard to get
out
because everyone's so chatty.
Anyway, 2 days after we had visited this lady and the house, I got a
call on my cellphone from this winery where her husband works. Seems
they are looking for someone and had heard from these people with the
house
that I was going to be looking for cellar door work soon. Well, I
ended up
going in there this morning for an interview and they hired me on the
spot! Woo!
I'm going to pour wine to tasters and talk about it with them, also
make cappuccinos, etc, for the people who are driving.
They are all really casual and friendly, the winery (Swings and
Roundabouts) is small and fairly new. They have a nice location in a
rammed earth building on the northern part of Caves Road. It's 35 km
from our house, but it's a nice scenic drive, so I'm sure it will be
fine. They are going to pay me what seems like a great wage to
me, considering I haven't made a cent in 5 years! I'm starting
tomorrow and they want me to work on weekends and a couple of days a
week. Perfect. I can't wait to find out what sorts of staff
discounts they have on their wine, but will wait an appropriate
amount of time to broach the subject ;-)
Anyway, enough about that. Just had to spread my good news, I'm so
excited, my first job in half a decade!!!
The work hours are very civilized, 10-5, so I'm sure I'll be able to
keep up with the NG no problem. I'm so glad I got a job, Dennis is
heading out to work again for 4 weeks starting on Tuesday. Was
feeling like I might be a little bit adrift now that we're all
settled in. But now I have a job and a purpose :-)

Old June 3rd 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"badwilson" wrote in message
Marina wrote:
badwilson wrote:
But
now I have a job and a purpose :-)

That's amazing, Britta! Congratulations! Everything just seems to come
together for you. Wow.

Shhhh! Don't say that too loud. Dennis and I are shaking our heads about
it too.

That's OK. The God's of fate sure took their own sweet time in getting you
to this point, right?

And you have both worked very hard to help them along.

Jo

Old June 3rd 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

badwilson wrote:

Yup, seen Sideways. Good movie, although I'm not much of a fan of Pinot
Noir.

Don't tell me, you drink Merlot??

(Just kidding, I like Merlot. And Shiraz, and Pinot and Cabernet...
I like red wine!)
Old June 3rd 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

badwilson wrote:

Yes, compared with the mood of the customers of my previous job, this
will be really great! At Minolta, I only ever walked into the tense
atmosphere of an office with a broken copier. Stressed out folks with a
deadline, blaming you for their machine not working.

Well, they blame you if you can't fix it, or can't fix it *immediately*.
But if you do fix it, you're a hero! Not that I've done this kind of
work myself, but I see how the system admins (the folks who make sure
your network is up and running, etc) get treated. Same kind of thing.
You're god if you can make it work, and everybody's favorite whipping
boy if you can't. Sheesh, feeling enough STRESS yet?? I guess you have
to be tough, or very centered, to deal with that kind of job.

So glad you'll have something less stressful!

Joyce
Old June 3rd 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Enfilade wrote:
Wonderful news indeed, many congratulations!!!

Congratulations indeed!

This past week I was offered a teaching job giving instruction to
workers who were injured on the job, are on workers' comp, and now need
training (like high school equivalency or computer training) to get new
jobs that won't make their injuries worse.

It is a good week on this list!

Congratulations! Now purrs that anyone else who needs a (new) job gets it!

Old June 3rd 06, 11:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Enfilade skrev i meddelandet
.com...

Wonderful news indeed, many congratulations!!!

Congratulations indeed!

This past week I was offered a teaching job giving instruction to
workers who were injured on the job, are on workers' comp, and now need
training (like high school equivalency or computer training) to get new
jobs that won't make their injuries worse.

It is a good week on this list!

--Fil

Very good!
Have you started yet?
I hope it is a nice job with nice people.
Elisabet

Old June 3rd 06, 11:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

badwilson skrev i meddelandet ...
Great news, I got a job today! I'm so excited!
Here's the whole story of how it happened. It couldn't have been
easier!

snip

Sometimes it seems like everything turns out for the best!
I hope your job is as nice as it sounds.
Congratulations.
Elisabet

Old June 3rd 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

badwilson wrote:
Great news, I got a job today! I'm so excited!

snip

Many congratulations! I'm really happy for you. 35km doesn't sound bad, i
assume there's not a lot of traffic. I hope Vino doesn't miss you too much
when you're out all day.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old June 3rd 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Karen" wrote

Great job! I'd kill for that.

You would not!