[OT] Anybody watch The Lost Room?

Old December 21st 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Default DVRs (was: Anybody watch The Lost Room?)

Matthew wrote:
Yes the one click DVD pro you can download something called dvd43
for free that will remove the protection for you

You're getting confused, Matthew, DVD43 only removes the region coding on
DVDs, what Lee wants to do is copy Macrovision encoded VHS tapes to DVD, for
that she needs a Mcrovision buster, sometimes called a time base corrector
or video enhancer which I believe are dificult to obtain in the US.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old December 21st 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

bummer. My mom has several kids videos that need to be transferred so they
can keep being watched. Lee
Adrian A wrote in message
om...

Old December 22nd 06, 12:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Matthew wrote:
Thanks Adrian My mistake sorry

Don't worry, we all get old. ;o)

Old December 22nd 06, 01:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane

What is a "two-tiered" DVR, though?

If I am thinking of the same thing, it's a two-channel DVR, which means
I can save two shows at the same time, on 2 different channels.
However, I can't watch a third one, so it works best when I'm not even
going to be around. I love it a whole lot.

I've already broken one DVR and it looks like the 2nd one is going.
When the shows start to freeze in the same time spot on a regular
basis, it's a sign of a bad spot on the disk. I really do wear them
out.

That's odd. Do they wear out more rapidly than a PC hard disk? Seems
like they should last longer than that. It would really bug me if I had
to replace a DVR every couple of years - they're not that cheap!

I have digital cable, and the DVR box comes with the setup - for an
extra $10 a month. Single or double, it doesn't matter, it's only $10 a
month extra. (the cable costs about $70 a month - no premium channels).
The replacements are free, just part of the service.
It's probably because of the way I use it. The way I used the VCR
tapes did it, too. I like to tape shows from the tv, lots and lots of
shows, then watch them, erase them, and do it all over again. This goes
on for HOURS every week. It was really hard on the tapes, so I imagine
it's hard on the hard drive too.

So that's my simple explanation. It has nothing to do with my computer
or my CD-RW/DVD-RW on my computer.

Jane

Old December 22nd 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default DVRs

Jane wrote:

What is a "two-tiered" DVR, though?

If I am thinking of the same thing, it's a two-channel DVR, which means
I can save two shows at the same time, on 2 different channels.
However, I can't watch a third one, so it works best when I'm not even
going to be around. I love it a whole lot.

Hmm. Well, I guess if there are two shows on at the same time that you
want to see, and you're not home at that time, it would be good. But if
you are home, you could always watch one while taping the other. I've
done that with the VCR a lot, and I imagine you could do it with a single-
channel DVR, too.

But I actually prefer to watch a show from tape than at broadcast time,
because then I can FF thru the commercials. Wastes less time, too, since
commercials take up about 1/3 of the hour of a program.

tapes did it, too. I like to tape shows from the tv, lots and lots of
shows, then watch them, erase them, and do it all over again. This goes
on for HOURS every week. It was really hard on the tapes, so I imagine
it's hard on the hard drive too.

So that's my simple explanation. It has nothing to do with my computer
or my CD-RW/DVD-RW on my computer.

No, but the technology of a DVR disk isn't that different from the
storage disk on your computer (ie, a hard drive).

Here's a question: does a DVR work if you don't have digital cable?

Joyce
Old December 22nd 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nik Simpson

wrote:

I've already broken one DVR and it looks like the 2nd one is going.
When the shows start to freeze in the same time spot on a regular
basis, it's a sign of a bad spot on the disk. I really do wear them
out.

That's odd. Do they wear out more rapidly than a PC hard disk? Seems
like they should last longer than that. It would really bug me if I had
to replace a DVR every couple of years - they're not that cheap!

The disk does got more work than on a typical PC, but lifetimes of 3-4
years for the disk are quite common. Also, depending on the model of DVR
and how the vendor handles support, you can always replace the disk
without buying a new DVR. If it's a TIVO, then go to
www.weaknees.com
and you can ored a new hard drive pre-configured with TIVO software.
Replacing the drive isn't difficult, a screwdriver is all you need.

Does either of you have a DVD burner attached to your DVR? I would like
that because then I could save the shows I really wanted to keep, without
using up DVDs on shows I just want to watch once and then erase.

Has anyone transferred movies from VHS tapes to DVD? Is it easy to do?

There are lots of solutions for doing this, everything from quite
expensive (with better quality) to dirt cheap with less quality. A lot
of them attach to the PC via a USB connection and to the VCR with
standard VCR cables.

Is it *worthwhile* to do? I'm sure the resolution and all that isn't as
good as a brand-new DVD, but in many cases, I don't care and I wouldn't
spend the money on a DVD to replace the tape.

How worthwhile it is depends on the quality of the tape, i.e. how often
you've watched etc. One thing to bear in mind is that the hardware to do
video capture is probably in $100-$150 range, so it might be cheaper
just to replace the tapes with DVDs.

--
Nik Simpson
Old December 22nd 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

wrote in message
Jane wrote:

What is a "two-tiered" DVR, though?

If I am thinking of the same thing, it's a two-channel DVR, which means
I can save two shows at the same time, on 2 different channels.
However, I can't watch a third one, so it works best when I'm not even
going to be around. I love it a whole lot.

Hmm. Well, I guess if there are two shows on at the same time that you
want to see, and you're not home at that time, it would be good. But if
you are home, you could always watch one while taping the other. I've
done that with the VCR a lot, and I imagine you could do it with a single-
channel DVR, too.

Always fall into the typical household 3 tvs in the house alwasy can watch
another tv
But I actually prefer to watch a show from tape than at broadcast time,
because then I can FF thru the commercials. Wastes less time, too, since
commercials take up about 1/3 of the hour of a program.

I HATE COMMERCIALS I do the same thing also

tapes did it, too. I like to tape shows from the tv, lots and lots of
shows, then watch them, erase them, and do it all over again. This goes
on for HOURS every week. It was really hard on the tapes, so I imagine
it's hard on the hard drive too.

So that's my simple explanation. It has nothing to do with my computer
or my CD-RW/DVD-RW on my computer.

No, but the technology of a DVR disk isn't that different from the
storage disk on your computer (ie, a hard drive).

Not differnet at all it is a hard drive itself

Here's a question: does a DVR work if you don't have digital cable?

nope
Joyce

Old December 22nd 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood JeepŠ

In ,
Matthew purred:
wrote in message
Jane wrote:

[...]

YES. We have DSS (Direct TV) and they work - we have the TiVo unit and a
stand-alone DVR/DVDRecorder and they *both* work fine. Just make sure you
are using the correct inputs to the DVR...

With or without TiVo, a DVR would work just like a VCR, Digital or regular
cable, just that without the TiVo programming, you cannot program it to
record "Sopranos" (or whatever you fave program is, with us it's Battlestar
Galactica) no matter what time/channel it is on, you would have to program
it to record such&such channel at such&such time.....