Suggestions for window blinds that cats can't break?

Old November 18th 05, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Suggestions for window blinds that cats can't break?

I use vinyl window blinds along with curtains because I like the night
privacy they afford. (I'm not into big, heavy lined drapes; I prefer
airier, lighter curtains) Jasmine has torn up three so far (lol) because
she likes to look out the window. (Dmitri always did this too) She pulls
the slats apart, then sticks her head through, or sometimes just climbs
through it onto the window sill. Eventually the slats break off in
pieces.

I want to replace these, but not sure what to get. Would aluminum blinds
be stronger and not break? I think the slats break off from being bent
too many times. Or would they just get bent up and ugly?

What about those pull down shades made of canvas or fabric? I don't mind
her looking out, and she's very determined to do what she's going to do.
I just want something that will: not let anyone peek in at night when
the lights are on; not be dangerous to her; last awhile.

I was thinking if I got the fabric/canvas kind, she could maneuver her
way under the bottom and still look out the window if she wanted. She
might learn to do that instead of bending the slats apart and
peeking/climbing through.

Suggestions or experience with different kinds of blinds, good and bad?

Thanks,

Juls

p.s. Giving her a special window that's open at night doesn't work. She
and Jack pretty much like to be in whatever room I'm in.

--
Email (remove annoying hyphens)
j-u-l-i-AT-e-c-t-DOT-o-r-g
Old November 19th 05, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Juls wrote:

[...]

Aluminum blinds get bent and ugly. I'm lucky that window placement allows
me to keep mine up almost all the time. Whatever you do, watch out for
blinds with cords that can strangle curious kitties.

Old November 19th 05, 04:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"5cats" wrote:

Aluminum blinds get bent and ugly. I'm lucky that window placement allows
me to keep mine up almost all the time. Whatever you do, watch out for
blinds with cords that can strangle curious kitties.

The best thing about the old fashioned fabric ones is that they have no
cord.

Old November 19th 05, 12:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Juls wrote:

[...]

Vertical blinds will withstand cat "abuse" more than the horizontal ones.

Old November 19th 05, 12:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

That's what I had to do after spending a fortune on Gaya's "goddess seat"
She destroyed any horizontal blinds that I could put there.. verticals have
been there for 4 months now and still holding (though a little dirty at the
entry point I just noticed).

I got a two floor condo and Miss Miew likes to sit at the upstairs window
and play goddess over the world.. everytime we drive in she's right there
with a "I'm so freaking perfect" look on her face... The neighbors have also
mentionned that they feel "supervised" when they see her up there..

What can I say, Gaya's a case.. mental or otherwise I haven't quite figured
it out in the last 7 years.. *grin*

--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.

Old November 19th 05, 04:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In article ,
Joe Canuck wrote:

Juls wrote:

[...]

I'm going to have to look around, but at least I've always liked the
look of them. I've just never had any.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions...I hadn't even thought of vertical.

Old November 19th 05, 03:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Juls" wrote in message
I use vinyl window blinds along with curtains because I like the night
privacy they afford. (I'm not into big, heavy lined drapes; I prefer
airier, lighter curtains) Jasmine has torn up three so far (lol) because
she likes to look out the window. (Dmitri always did this too) She pulls
the slats apart, then sticks her head through, or sometimes just climbs
through it onto the window sill. Eventually the slats break off in
pieces.

snip
I want to replace these, but not sure what to get.
--
Email (remove annoying hyphens)
j-u-l-i-AT-e-c-t-DOT-o-r-g

Have you considered vertical blinds? I don't like them as well as the
horizontal blinds, but they give some of the same feel -- and they should
not create the problem you described because the bottom of the blinds hang
free and would simply swing sideways when your cats work their way toward
the window.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o

Old November 19th 05, 04:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In article Wbwff.5735$0h5.5271@dukeread10,
"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

Have you considered vertical blinds?

I hadn't, but I think I may now! I actually always thought of vertical
blinds more for patio doors and windows, but they might do the trick!

Old November 19th 05, 04:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Juls" wrote

What about those pull down shades made of canvas or fabric? I don't mind
her looking out, and she's very determined to do what she's going to do.
I just want something that will: not let anyone peek in at night when
the lights are on; not be dangerous to her; last awhile.

Exactly what I was going to recommend.

I was thinking if I got the fabric/canvas kind, she could maneuver her
way under the bottom and still look out the window if she wanted. She
might learn to do that instead of bending the slats apart and
peeking/climbing through.

Suggestions or experience with different kinds of blinds, good and bad?

We have cloth blinds like this in the upstairs windows.

rec.pets.cats: Norwegian Forest Cat Breed-FAQ Bjorn Steensrud Cat Information 0 November 18th 05 06:36 AM
performing cats Norm Cat anecdotes 0 September 18th 05 03:32 AM
rec.pets.cats: Traditional Siamese Breed-FAQ Laura Gilbreath Cat Information 0 October 29th 04 05:23 AM
Opinions on fatty liver/possible pancreatitis problem Underwood Cat health & behaviour 80 April 10th 04 03:57 AM