Tasteless use of cat in advertising

Old April 11th 04, 10:08 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Ryan Robbins" wrote in message

"Sherry " wrote in message

"Laura R." wrote in

message
. ..
circa 11 Apr 2004 17:35:03 GMT, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav, Sherry
) said,

Yeah, well since we're confessing, I red-inked the newspaper and

mailed
it back
not long ago. I just got so tired of reading the city court docket,

and
all
those drivers who were "cited for wreckless driving." It went on

for
months and
I am still amazed nobody caught it.

So they got citations for being such safe drivers? G

The definition for "citation," from Merriam-Webster: "an official

summons
appear (as before a court)."

The mind is boggling. You *are* joking, right? You *do* realize that one

word
can have several different definitions, right? You *do* know the fine

art
of
Knowing When To Shut Up, no?

Hm. Original poster said the newspaper was wrong in using "cited." You
shouldn't be addressing me on the matter.

Splork! OMG! It had nothing to do with "cited". They were pointing out
the wrong spelling of "reckless"!!!!!!

(Get it? "Wreckless" = no wrecks...)

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old April 12th 04, 12:34 AM
Jon C

"Aquagrrl" wrote in message
om...
Dennis Carr wrote in message

. ..
On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 02:47:05 +0000, Jon C wrote:

This is usenet, you can say ****ING.

Yes, but FSCKING is funnier. =^_^=

No its not. FSCKING is never funny. Or fun. I'd much rather be ****ing

that fscking.

I agree.

Shall we get to it?

Old April 12th 04, 12:37 AM
Ryan Robbins

"Brandy Alexandre" wrote in message
s.com...
Ryan Robbins wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

It is a style issue, and I'm not going to debate this with someone
who's ignorant on the subject.

Yeah, me and the entire University of Chicago, and a WHOLE BUNCH of
other highly educated people. What makes you think I'm ignorant on
the subject?

Because you're trying to pass off Chicago style as THE only style on the
subject. But it's not.

Oh, what the hell:

"Em-dashes are so named because they are as wide as the old
typesetter's "M." Their relatives, the en-dash (as wide as an "N"
and used to show a spread of numbers, like 9-12) and the hyphen
(used erroneously as a short em-dash in documents for whom the lazy
***AP Press manual of style is acceptable...

Suddenly any style that contradicts Chicago is "lazy" and not worthy.
Associated Press style is excellent. It's simple. And it's by far the most
popular in the news media. There's a reason for this.

"As shown in the examples above, do not put a space before or after
an em dash (an exception to the rule followed by the ***Associated
Press for newspaper use). Avoid using more than one pair of em
dashes in a sentence."
http://essayinfo.com/sguides/dash.php

And again, I am shown to be right: This is a style issue.

Okay, I have more, but I'm tired.

I'm sorry you wasted your time showing that I am right.

Old April 12th 04, 12:41 AM
Ryan Robbins

"Sherry " wrote in message

It was "wreckless." You didn't even catch it, did you?

I don't believe this.

The nature of Usenet requires giving the benefit of the doubt when it comes
to misspelled words (unless the misspelling is consistent). It's not always
easy to determine whether a misspelling is truly a misspelling or a typo.

Old April 12th 04, 12:43 AM
Ryan Robbins

"Laura R." wrote in message
.. .

Yet again, you prove that you completely miss the meaning, and in
this case, the pun, in your dogged compulsion to keep proving
yourself a complete ignoramus.

I find it fascinating that you can't resist calling people names. What
causes this?

Old April 12th 04, 01:01 AM
Sherry

"Sherry " wrote in message

It was "wreckless." You didn't even catch it, did you?

I don't believe this.

The nature of Usenet requires giving the benefit of the doubt when it comes
to misspelled words (unless the misspelling is consistent). It's not always
easy to determine whether a misspelling is truly a misspelling or a typo.

Just stop. Please. I'm starting to become embarrased for you.

Sherry