21 year old cat with cancer

Old September 2nd 05, 08:18 AM
bill o via CatKB.com

Default 21 year old cat with cancer

Hi,
I am looking for support and any advice or kind words regarding my situation.
My cat is 21 years of age and over the past week I took her to the vet to see
what was going on with her. Turns out she has a mass in her stomach area and
it's to the point where it's pushing on her intestines. This slows the
ability of the stomach to release its contents into the intestines. The vet
suggested we just wait for the blockage to get worse and forget about trying
to treat her because of her age and other health issues. I would have to
agree with her but she has been in the family so long and I feel like I
should make every attempt at remedy. One remedy was to start her on anti-
biotics and other medicine. She wasn't handling it well. I'm wondering if
surgery to remove the mass is futile. Or perhaps some procedure to allow for
better flow from the stomach to the intestines. Perhaps I am trying to be in
denial. Thanks for your messages in advance. Bill
Old September 2nd 05, 08:49 AM
Paul M. Cook

Bill,

My cat died of cancer in 2001. I waged a desperate and valiant attempt to
save his life. I could not face up to letting go of him. Our time together
was just too short. I won't even discuss the amount of money it cost, it
was a lot. Would I ever do it again? The answer now is easy, no. Not
unless the cat was very young and had a very good prognosis for survival.
The chemo will just be too much for a cat of that age. My cat was 16 and a
half, the chemo put his cancer into remission, he died 2 weeks later. The
chemo destroyed his aged heart and he died gasping for air and howling in
panic. Just writing about it tears my heart out all over again. You do not
want that for your friend.

Let your cat go in peace. When the pain can no longer be controlled, let
her die as comfortably as possible. She is 21 years old - and that is one
very ripe old age for a cat. You've been a good friend to her all these
years. Now it is time to let her go.

Paul

Old September 2nd 05, 12:44 PM
Phil P.

[...]

Has the mass been definitively diagnosed as cancer? If so, is there any
evidence of metastasis? If a definitive diagnosis hasn't been reached, your
vet may be able to obtain cell samples via a minimally invasive fine-needle
aspirate- depending on the location of the mass.

As far as surgical and anesthetic risks are concerned, the cat's age is not
as important as her general condition and the anesthesiologist's and
surgeon's skill and experience with geriatric cats. Recent advancements in
anesthetic protocols and surgical techniques for geriatric cats have
dramatically reduced the risks.

You didn't mention what her 'other health issues' are, so I can only speak
generally. If its a solitary mass and there's no evidence of metastasis, I
would probably have it removed. If it has metastasized, I probably wouldn't
and I would just try to make her as comfortable as possible for as long as
her quality of life remained good. I wouldn't let her suffer or
deteriorate; I'd want her to leave this world the same way she entered it-
with dignity.

I wish you and your cat the very best of luck,

Phil

Old September 2nd 05, 12:48 PM
Gail

I think your vet's advice is good. I would not put her through any
procedures. I think she is nearing the end of her life. You were a terrific
owner to have her life such a long and good life.
Gail

Old September 2nd 05, 02:01 PM
bill o via CatKB.com

Thanks for writing. The Vet did not obtain cell samples to see what the
growth was. She did mention doing that but after she performed the barium
test she determined that it was time to just let Punky live out the rest of
her life as comfortable as possible.

The Vet also believes she has a thyroid problem and she just briefly
mentioned "other medical issues". I suppose I could call the Vet to see if
there is any hope to reduce the mass without surgery. I would think cell
samples would tell us that. I'm at odds with myself because on one hand I
feel I should trust the Vet's diagnosis and on the other hand I feel like she
mey be ending the discovery process too soon. Bill

Phil P. wrote:
Hi,
I am looking for support and any advice or kind words regarding my situation.

[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]

Old September 2nd 05, 02:13 PM
Juls

In article , "bill o via CatKB.com"
wrote:

Thanks for writing. The Vet did not obtain cell samples to see what the
growth was. She did mention doing that but after she performed the barium
test she determined that it was time to just let Punky live out the rest of
her life as comfortable as possible.

The Vet also believes she has a thyroid problem and she just briefly
mentioned "other medical issues". I suppose I could call the Vet to see if
there is any hope to reduce the mass without surgery. I would think cell
samples would tell us that. I'm at odds with myself because on one hand I
feel I should trust the Vet's diagnosis and on the other hand I feel like she
mey be ending the discovery process too soon. Bill

Ah, Bill, I'm so sorry to hear about all of this.

I can totally relate to your dilemna of wanting to trust your vet, yet
having other information and wanting to do everything you could for
your guy. What helped me was saying "my friend went through a very
similar situation, and he tried some other things which were....could
we try that too?"

She was *very* open to it, and even called the food company and talked
to them about it. (Unfortunately, I believe she got a dingbat on the
phone, and my plan was to discuss in person at the next appointment,
but things played out a different way.)

Trust your intstincts and do what you think is right.

Juls

--
To email (remove annoying hyphens)

j-u-l-i
at
e-c-t-dot-o-r-g
Old September 2nd 05, 02:53 PM
Phil P.

"bill o via CatKB.com" wrote in message
Thanks for writing. The Vet did not obtain cell samples to see what the
growth was. She did mention doing that but after she performed the barium
test she determined that it was time to just let Punky live out the rest

of
her life as comfortable as possible.

Her pessimism may be based on her unfamiliarity with surgery and anesthesia
in geriatric cats rather than on your cat's actual condition. This is why a
second opinion from a vet who is experienced with surgery and anesthesia in
older cats is so important.

The Vet also believes she has a thyroid problem and she just briefly
mentioned "other medical issues".

That's rather vague. I'd want a more thorough explanation and a complete
blood workup, including T4 for thyroid function, urinalysis, and BP to
determine how well all her organ systems are functioning. The results of
these tests might make your decision much easier either way. I couldn't
make any decision on basis of just chronologic age. I've seen young cats
with organ system dysfunction typical of geriatric cats and geriatric cats
with organ systems more typical of younger cats. For instance, my 19 year
old's and 5 year-old's serum chemistries are almost identical.

I suppose I could call the Vet to see if
there is any hope to reduce the mass without surgery. I would think cell
samples would tell us that. I'm at odds with myself because on one hand I
feel I should trust the Vet's diagnosis and on the other hand I feel like

she
mey be ending the discovery process too soon. Bill

I wouldn't make any decisions until I got a definitive diagnosis and a
second opinion. Otherwise, I'd be second-guessing whichever decision I made
every day for the rest of my life. Remember, your first loyalty is to your
cat- not your vet.

My heart goes out to you- I truly understand you're dilemma.

Best of luck,

Phil

Old September 3rd 05, 04:55 AM
Candace

bill o via CatKB.com wrote:
Thanks for writing. The Vet did not obtain cell samples to see what the
growth was. She did mention doing that but after she performed the barium
test she determined that it was time to just let Punky live out the rest of
her life as comfortable as possible.

I'm wondering if prednisone might give her a little more quality time?
I only say this because that is how we treated my cat, Emily, several
years ago when she had lymphoma. It helped her for awhile. It reduces
inflammation around the tumor(s). Of course, I don't know if it would
be indicated in your cat's case but you could ask. I have heard other
people mention using it for their cats with cancer, too. It can
promote a general sense of well-being and increase appetite so it can
be quite beneficial. Personally, I would not do anything invasive to
an older cat but that is just my opinion.

Best of luck to your kitty and you.

Candace