Stray and kittens

Old April 5th 06, 01:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

Default Stray and kittens

Back when it was 10-15 degrees outside this winter a beautiful looking
"silver and cream female" was looking for food around my back porch. I
call the large " interwoven white and butterscotch long hair cat "stranger".
Stranger showed up every time I came home and ate all I could give her. I
put a bowl in the kitchen and she came right in and took over like she owned
the place. Two weeks ago she had five kittens. She is a very dedicated
mother. I had to close off a room because she stalks and attacks my 16 and
18 year cats. I have to wash my hands before picking up a kitten, because
she smells my hands first for the traces of other cats. Once I had some
peanutbutter smell on my fingers and she couldn't figure it out. When
should I expect the kittens to start using the litter box and when will they
start eating solid food? When is the best time to get take the mother to
vet to get neutered? Thanks
Worried, in Pa..

Old April 5th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 20:54:20 -0400, "kuhnfucius"
wrote:

[...]

There will be a brief period where the kittens don't use the
litterbox. Scoop up the feces from the floor and put them in the
litterbox, then put the kittens in the box. They'll learn.

As for the spaying, first, make sure the mother can't get outside!
Don't want more pregnancies. Spay 3 weeks after she has stopped
nursing the kittens. Make sure the milk is dried up before spaying.
Old April 5th 06, 10:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

I recently had the same situation. The kitten started using the litter
pan all on their own as soon as they were getting out of the welping
box and moving around the room. (Approximately 4 weeks old.) If at all
possible you should use something with very low side, say no higher
than 3-inches, to make it easier for the kittens to get into and out of
the box and use plain, clay litter. The clumping kinds have been
proven to clog up the kittens intestines and lower tracks and can cause
death.

Kittens should not be adopted out before they are 9 weeks old, and
certainly no younger than 6 weeks old, if they are eatting well on
their own and drinking water. The mother cat can be spayed anytime
after that, but it will be a lot easier for her if you wait the 2 to 3
weeks so she has stopped producing milk.

Hemma

Old April 5th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

[...]

I have found with the ones I raised that it varies from kitten to kitten as to when they
will start eating "solid" food. As for the litter box, as long as they can see their
mother use it they should pick it up with no problem.

Also thank you so very much and God bless for taking in and caring for these furbabies.
Too bad there are not more people like you out there.

As for nuetering and spaying have you checked with the shelter or animal groups to see if
maybe there is assistance available to have them fixed? Around here the Michigan Humane
Society will pay for spaying / nuetering if they were strays or a person has limited
means.

God bless and good luck.

Possible to post pics or the new babies??

Old April 7th 06, 02:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

news
wrote:

[...]

Good idea to check with local groups. There might be vets who from time to
time run very low cost 'spay days'. If not then the group can point you in
the direction for vouchers for low cost spaying. One of our SPCAs do low
cost spay/neuter but have a long waiting list.

You might find a rescue group can help you find homes for the kittens if you
need it.

As has already been said just have a box available once the kittens are
getting around well enough to get into one (around 4 weeks) and mom will
take care of the rest. It is very easy to get the kittens to use the box.

They can wean as early as 4 weeks and as late as 6-7. Mom will pretty much
control that. At some point she's had enough and will 'encourage' them to
eat the food available. You should be feeding mom kitten food at this point
anyway so when she and the kittens are ready they will dig right into mom's
food. If you notice the entire litter is eating kitten food most of the
time, you can start separating mom from the little ones to encourage her
milk to dry up. Just restrict the time she's available to them more and more
each day until they aren't nursing any more and then make her spay
appointment.