Smudgie is Lost!

Old July 2nd 10, 10:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon & Smudgie[_2_]

Default Smudgie is Lost!

I wasn't around to see this yesterday so am coming in a bit late.
Boyfie is sending his best GYFB home purrs, he only has a very quiet purr,
but Smudgie should hear them as she is a Brit.
You've done the best thing by putting up posters in the neighbourhood
which is what I did, and I see downthread you've already had a call with a
possible sighting.
If she is, indeed, in the garden of the empty house with an 8 foot wall
around it, with a back leg injury as suggested, it may not necessarily be
a bad thing - she may have sustained a minor injury jumping down and it
may mean she cannot get out. If the garden is overgrown she will probably
be hiding, frightened about how she suddenly got lost.

If the house is for sale and has a board outside, you might approach the
estate agents to see if they will let you have a key to get in a side gate
so you can look for her which will save you scaling 8' up a ladder.

You must be desperately worried and I am feeling for you.
Is she microchipped? I only ask because if she continues to panic and
gets more lost, she will eventually have to present herself somewhere to
beg for food.
Microchipping is the only realistic way to get your cat back or know what
happened.
Lots of luck finding her very soon, Sharon.
Tweed

Oh, btw, if you live in a quiet place where children play out, as I do,
show the smaller ones her photo and ask them to be cat detectives and find
her. They love this sort of thing and may be too short to see your
posters.

Hi Tweed
Thanks for the advice about talking to the smaller children, I will do that
now the weekend is here as I come across them playing outside. Hadn't
occured to me they may be too short to see the posters!

I got access to the back garden of the house and also had a look inside the
shed. The place was full of cobwebs without any apparent disturbance. I
had thrown cat biscuits over the wall last night but they all appeared to
still be there. Had another possible sighting right down the other end of
our estate. Unfortunately the guy saw the cat there yesterday but didn't
inform me until today. We had a walk down there calling her but if it was
her there was no sign, and she could have wandered further away by now.

Smudgie is microchipped, I have informed the company that she is missing. I
also rang the council cleansing dept today, they do have a chip reader so
will let me know in the unfortunate event that they pick her up from the
side of the road.

We are off on a midnight walk with torches tonight. That is the best way I
think to check the large shrubs dotted around the area. I'd like to think
she is still hiding herself nearby and this is the best way of spotting her.
The other local cats love me now, they follow me around as I rattle the
biscuits and call her as I always give them a biscuit or two! I think they
look out for my patrols! They are also queueing up for the bowl of tuna I
have put behind the fence!

It's been 48 hours now and I am getting very disheartened but I shall not
give up looking.

Sharon

Old July 2nd 10, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

"Sharon & Smudgie" wrote in message
I would really appreciate some GYFBH purrs please. Yesterday evening
Smudgie chased a cat over our fence and kept on running. She has never
been out of the garden before so I am super worried. I have been walking
the streets calling her name and shaking her food box but no luck. She is
scared of strangers so will not approach anyone for help. I have put
leaflets thru doors and on lamp posts etc. I am so worried and am hoping
the "power of the purrs" will help guide her home.

Many gyfbh purrs from my gang! We are hoping for the very best outcome!!

Old July 3rd 10, 01:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sharon & Smudgie wrote:

It's been 48 hours now and I am getting very disheartened but I shall not
give up looking.

I know how disheartening it is, but it's much too soon to assume you
won't be able to find her. My Smudge was gone a week before I found her,
and many cats are missing longer than that. Not that I wish that on
your Smudgie - I hope she comes home tonight! Just that a cat can be
missing for 2 days or longer and still come home safe and sound (and,
of course, not tell you a thing about their adventures!).

More purrs,
Joyce

--
I am sometimes asked, "Why do you spend so much of your time and
money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty
Old July 3rd 10, 08:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon & Smudgie[_2_]

wrote in message
Sharon & Smudgie wrote:

It's been 48 hours now and I am getting very disheartened but I shall
not
give up looking.

I know how disheartening it is, but it's much too soon to assume you
won't be able to find her. My Smudge was gone a week before I found her,
and many cats are missing longer than that. Not that I wish that on
your Smudgie - I hope she comes home tonight! Just that a cat can be
missing for 2 days or longer and still come home safe and sound (and,
of course, not tell you a thing about their adventures!).

More purrs,
Joyce

Thank you Joyce, I have such a gut feeling she is so close by still and
waiting for me to find her. Im concerned she will be hungry and possibly
de-hydrated as its been so hot here the past few days. Although she hates
rain I am praying for some so there will be puddles for her to drink from.

I will update on any sightings and I welcome any other suggestions to help
find her.

Thanks for all the purrs, keep them going please

Sharon

Old July 3rd 10, 08:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon & Smudgie[_2_]

Default Smudgie is Lost! - Ping Mark

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Also, I have your FAQ site bookmarked, but a lot of newbies don't know it
and, being netiquettely correct, you don't put the URL in your SIG when
you're responding, only when you make and original post.

Newbies won't know this, so would you mind if I, and others, put the URL
in our SIGs (giving you credit, of course). For Example:

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See our clowder at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/
See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

I, for one, think it's a great idea. I have been mostly lurking on here for
3 years but still had no idea what Ted stood for etc. I am now enlightened
without having to ask and feeling a twit lol. I have had such good
suggestions from you all to help with my search, some of which had never
occured to me.

I'm not great with techy stuff but would like to offer my services if I can
be of help!

Sharon

Old July 3rd 10, 04:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon & Smudgie[_2_]

Default Smudgie is Lost! - update

"Sharon & Smudgie" wrote in message
I would really appreciate some GYFBH purrs please. Yesterday evening
Smudgie chased a cat over our fence and kept on running. She has never
been out of the garden before so I am super worried. I have been walking
the streets calling her name and shaking her food box but no luck. She is
scared of strangers so will not approach anyone for help. I have put
leaflets thru doors and on lamp posts etc. I am so worried and am hoping
the "power of the purrs" will help guide her home.

Thank you so much
Sharon

We are closing in on her. A man found her collar nearby and brought it to
us at lunchtime. Whilst it means she is now less identifiable at a
distance, I know she is near to home. I walked past where the collar was
found this morning and didn't see it so I know she has been nearby in the
past 5 or so hours. I have put some worn socks into the bushes near to
home, hung my dressing gown over the back fence, and walked back from where
the collar was found in my bare feet just in case it leaves a scent she can
follow. I can almost hear her purr!

Sharon

Old July 3rd 10, 04:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"Sharon & Smudgie" wrote:
We are closing in on her. A man found her collar nearby and brought it to
us at lunchtime. Whilst it means she is now less identifiable at a
distance, I know she is near to home. I walked past where the collar was
found this morning and didn't see it so I know she has been nearby in the
past 5 or so hours. I have put some worn socks into the bushes near to
home, hung my dressing gown over the back fence, and walked back from where
the collar was found in my bare feet just in case it leaves a scent she can
follow. I can almost hear her purr!

That sounds very promising! You're leaving her many clues, so
hopefully a little lightbulb will go off in her little kitty head, or
you'll be able to catch her.
Old July 3rd 10, 04:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
NettieCat

On 3 July, 16:24, "Sharon & Smudgie" wrote:
"Sharon & Smudgie" wrote in messagenews:[email protected] would really appreciate some GYFBH purrs please. Yesterday evening
[...]

It's all very promising, I hope you find her soon.

Jeanette
Old July 3rd 10, 04:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan M

On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 16:24:29 +0100, Sharon & Smudgie wrote:

We are closing in on her. A man found her collar nearby and brought it
to us at lunchtime. Whilst it means she is now less identifiable at a
distance, I know she is near to home. I walked past where the collar
was found this morning and didn't see it so I know she has been nearby
in the past 5 or so hours. I have put some worn socks into the bushes
near to home, hung my dressing gown over the back fence, and walked back
from where the collar was found in my bare feet just in case it leaves a
scent she can follow. I can almost hear her purr!

Sharon

That's very promising! Don't forget, no matter how close your attachment
to her and her to you, once an indoor cat gets outside their behavior
changes radically. They shift info survival mode, so even though she
loves you greatly she still might be afraid to show herself to you, even
if you're only a foot away! So it's going to be up to you to find her -
be sure to look into the little hidey places where a kitty could secret
herself away. If you have some nice tasty, smelly treats in hand there's
a good chance you can distract her long enough to grab her so you can
carry her home.

We're keeping the purrs and prayers coming.

Dan

Old July 3rd 10, 05:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_3_]

On Jul 3, 8:24*am, "Sharon & Smudgie" wrote:
.. *I walked past where the collar was
found this morning and didn't see it so I know she has been nearby in the
past 5 or so hours. *I have put some worn socks into the bushes near to
home, hung my dressing gown over the back fence, and walked back from where
the collar was found in my bare feet just in case it leaves a scent she can
follow. *I can almost hear her purr!

She's around and she must be getting hungry- try some stinky fish just
inside the garden or just by it- you could try leaving a trail of
kibble from where the collar was found to home...okay maybe the local
cats will get it but she just might take the hint...

In the meantime, SMUDGIE! GET YOUR FURRY BUTT HOME NOW!

Purrs continuing from us

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs