Smudgie is Lost!

Old July 4th 10, 02:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon & Smudgie[_2_]

Default Smudgie is Lost! - I Saw Her!

"Debbie Wilson" wrote in message
Brilliant news! Revving up the purrs full volume - so near yet so far,
but don't give up, if you have seen her then you know she is OK, not
being held by anyone and not far away. Tempting her with food is a very
good idea, and once she will come for food you can use the live trap. Do
you have a litter tray she has used (ie. containing used litter)? Put
that somewhere she can smell it and close to the gap in your fence. Any
scent of home will help remind her where home actually is. Good luck -
persistence will pay off.

Deb.

Thank you Adrian & Deb

Yes I do have a used litter tray ... eww now I sound like a bad pet owner
lol. I didn't clean it (it only has 1 or 2 wees) in case I needed the litter
to lay a scent. I will put it in the garden near the fence and I thought
maybe her blanket too. The trap is going under the patio table cos she loves
sitting under there. I know it may still take a while but that is ok.

Adrian, I swear she flipped me the finger before she went through the fence!
That's her all over!

Sharon

Old July 4th 10, 02:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

seeing her is indeed progress. Lee
"Sharon & Smudgie" wrote in message

"Sharon & Smudgie" wrote in message
I would really appreciate some GYFBH purrs please. Yesterday evening
Smudgie chased a cat over our fence and kept on running. She has never
been out of the garden before so I am super worried. I have been walking
the streets calling her name and shaking her food box but no luck. She is
scared of strangers so will not approach anyone for help. I have put
leaflets thru doors and on lamp posts etc. I am so worried and am hoping
the "power of the purrs" will help guide her home.

Thank you so much
Sharon

I spotted Smudgie about 1.30 this morning from our back bedroom window
sitting right by the bin where I have put a sock! I stood for a minute to
make sure it was her then went down to our back fence with a torch. I
managed to look over and was calling her, she looked over but didn't move.
I grabbed her carrier and made my way quietly to where she was sitting and
called her again. She ran further away from me so I stopped and sat on
the road and kept calling her quietly. She then ran to another fence at
the back where there is a hole, stopped and turned as I called her again
and then went through the fence into the garden. I walked over to the hole
and kept calling her quietly but nothing. I left a trail of chicken from
the hole and across the roadway to our fence and came back indoors. I
watched out of the window for a while but couldn't see or hear anything.
This morning when I checked the chicken had gone but of course any other
cat could have eaten it.

I am so happy I have seen her for myself but now have the problem that she
wont come to me if I call her. This morning we are going to cut a section
our of our fence panel so she can come into the garden that way if she
wants to and borrow 2 traps from my local shelter. I will put one in our
garden and the other in the garden that she ran into if the owner doesn't
mind (we have spoken to him before and he seems amicable enough). Today I
will change her "Lost" posters for "Still Lost" posters with alternative
photos and put the word "Reward" in big letters!

Maybe today ......
Sharon

Old July 4th 10, 02:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
chris H

I'm very happy that you've at least seen her!!

Purrs continue for her to either fall for the trap or
remember what home is, and get her furry self back to it!

Chris, Katie, Hazard and Oreo

Old July 4th 10, 03:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Art Shapiro

I've been following your story with interest and concern.

Is there any chance you could lure her into the house if the door were
open? The reason I ask is with respect to my own cat Calico, who at 13
1/2 years still can't be picked up. It used to take me as long as five
hours each night to coax her back into the house. (She's now totally
indoors for that reason.) At times, I'd have to put a bowl of food
inside, near the door, and prop the door open, with a long string to
where I'd be sitting across the house. When she'd finally decide to
come in, smelling the food, I'd yank the door closed with the string.

Sounds ridiculous, but might be appropriate here.

Art

Old July 4th 10, 04:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan M

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 09:37:30 +0100, Sharon & Smudgie wrote:

I am so happy I have seen her for myself but now have the problem that
she wont come to me if I call her. This morning we are going to cut a
section our of our fence panel so she can come into the garden that way
if she wants to and borrow 2 traps from my local shelter. I will put
one in our garden and the other in the garden that she ran into if the
owner doesn't mind (we have spoken to him before and he seems amicable
enough). Today I will change her "Lost" posters for "Still Lost"
posters with alternative photos and put the word "Reward" in big
letters!

The fact that you've seen her is VERY encouraging! Especially since she
was so close to home. Her behavior of running away from you is perfectly
normal behavior for a frightened cat in survival mode. No matter that
they might recognize your voice and your face, they're still in a very
scary, threatening environment and their natural response is frequently
to run away from anything bigger than themselves.

We're definitely keeping fingers crossed that she walks into your trap
very soon!

During the months that my Sammy was lost I never caught sight of him,
never saw any signs that were uniquely identifiable as his. Having seen
her yourself is such wonderful news!

Dan

Old July 4th 10, 05:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

[...]

How wonderful, and how frustrating at the same time! But now you at least
know that she's alive and well (doesn't sound like the "limping" cat someone
mentioned). I don't know why cats will run from their owners like that - it
would seem they would rush forth glad to have been found - but cats are very
perverse creatures, it's one of the reasons we love them so much.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See our clowder at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old July 4th 10, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

[...]

Can you get a Hav-A-Hart trap? Animal shelters often have some that people
can borrow, or it would even be worth buying one. Set it up close to where
you saw Smudgie, and bait it with her favorite food, such as chicken. Put
the chicken at the very back and loosely lay a sheet of newspaper over the
trap mechanism so she won't see it. She will "spring" the trap when she
steps in the right place, and it can't hurt her. Of course, she will be
frightened, so you should check it as often as possible.

MaryL

Old July 4th 10, 08:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

[...]

I'm glad you saw her, but sorry she didn't come. I'm sure you'll have her
back soon.

Joy

Old July 4th 10, 08:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon & Smudgie[_2_]

Can you get a Hav-A-Hart trap? Animal shelters often have some that
people
can borrow, or it would even be worth buying one. Set it up close to
where you saw Smudgie, and bait it with her favorite food, such as
chicken. Put the chicken at the very back and loosely lay a sheet of
newspaper over the trap mechanism so she won't see it. She will "spring"
the trap when she steps in the right place, and it can't hurt her. Of
course, she will be frightened, so you should check it as often as
possible.

MaryL

Trap is set and baited with her favourite food - chicken and cat treat
sticks - in the back garden. I have sleeping at the back of the house since
she went with the window wide open so I can hear her mieowing. I'm hoping
the trap will make enough noise to wake me so I can check it right away. I
just hope she doesn't freak out when I let her out inside the house. We
have also cut a section out of our fence and I have put her litter tray
nearby with her used litter in it.

Now we wait ......

Will update
Sharon