Dog alert!

Old December 31st 13, 06:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Dog alert!

I have new next door neighbours (not the nasty ones, unfortunately, the
other side)
They seem nice, a young couple with no children yet.

They have a dog, though, a Jack Russell terrier type. It's not that I don't
like dogs, I do very much, but Boyfie often strolls in a leisurely way
through their garden and he won't be expecting to see one there. I hope it
doesn't catch him by surprise as JRT's can kill cats.

I wish I could tell him to watch out for the doggie, but of course I can't.
I have to rely on him being as sensible as he is with foxes and rushing up a
tree, but the difference is he expects to see a fox at night and he won't be
expecting a terrier next door during the day.
It's a bit of a worry, tbh.

Up to now - they moved in last week - I haven't seen the dog in the garden,
but they must surely let it out for toilet duties when I'm not looking. The
fences are not very dog-proof near the house now, so maybe they take it
outside on a lead for that so it doesn't escape. They seem nice enough to
do that. Like "we are new here and don't want our dog breaking through the
fence to upset you."

I will have to tell them I have a cat and they have a terrier and never the
twain shall meet.
I've heard tales of two cats not getting on and fighting when one neighbour
agrees to let their cat out at x o clock until y and the other says I'll let
my cat out from a to d. which works until one doesn't come in..

Luckily dogs always come in at the appointed time for fear of disapproval so
I don't see a problem yet.

Boyfie goes out and comes in when he wants to.

As the new neighbours seem really nice, I am sure we can synchronise if
necessary, although I am making assumptions about their terrier. For all I
know he/she was brought up with cats and loves them. However, maybe not,
and I wouldn't take any risk with the most kind, gentle and beautiful
boycat in the Whole World.

Tweed

Old December 31st 13, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

I have new next door neighbours (not the nasty ones, unfortunately, the
other side)
They seem nice, a young couple with no children yet.

They have a dog, though, a Jack Russell terrier type. It's not that I don't
like dogs, I do very much, but Boyfie often strolls in a leisurely way
through their garden and he won't be expecting to see one there. I hope it
doesn't catch him by surprise as JRT's can kill cats.
snip
As the new neighbours seem really nice, I am sure we can synchronise if
necessary, although I am making assumptions about their terrier. For all I
know he/she was brought up with cats and loves them. However, maybe not,
and I wouldn't take any risk with the most kind, gentle and beautiful
boycat in the Whole World.

Tweed

~~~~~~~~~
Do you think you could make arrangements for Boyfie and the neighbor JRT to
"meet," with all of you present in a non-confrontational manner? Perhaps
that would help.

MaryL

Old December 31st 13, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MaryL" wrote in message

[...]

No. It would freak Boyfie out to meet a neighbour, let alone their dog.
I'm sure it will be OK without any sort of confrontation, any confrontation
with neighbours is the last thing we need.
We'll see what happens. Probably they will be out at work all day and their
dog will be in. Or it will be cat-friendly. OTOH, it might chase him up a
tree, and if that happens, he knows to be careful again.
What worries me is if it takes him by surprise and grabs him because he's
not expecting it to be there, although I probably worry too much - he isn't
stupid, I'm sure he can see a dog coming in the same way he can see a fox.

Old December 31st 13, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"MaryL" wrote in message

[...]

~~~~~~
Well, I can see my idea probably would not work. I do want to clarify one
point: When I said "nonconfrontational," I did not mean to imply that a
meeting with the neighbors might be confrontational. I was trying to
describe a situation where you and the neighbors could meet in a friendly
setting and give Boyfie and the dog an opportunity to see each other in a
nonconfrontational *setting.* That often works, but I can see from your
description that Boyfie would be freaked out. So, not a good idea. Let's
hope the dog is actually cat-friendly. The collies we had when I was
growing up would sleep with the cats curled up within their legs (but a JRT
is a very different type of dog).

MaryL

Old January 2nd 14, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:
[...]

I'm glad your new neighbours seem nice. Maybe when you're having a chat or
if you feel comfortable enough to knock on their door (perhaps with
chocolates) you could drop into the conversation that you have Boyfie and
you hope their dog and Boyfie will get along.

The Jack Russell may be one of the gentle types. Mine was and didn't seem
to have a problem with cats who would walk through the garden.

Purrs for an excellent outcome.

It's not been a problem yet phew I haven't seen it in their back garden
yet at all and I don't think they'd let it loose there as the fence near the
house is not dog proof.

I will probably do as you suggest next time I see them, tell them I have a
cat - they probably don't know- and ask them if their JRT could be a threat
to him. If so, I'm sure we can come to some arrangement. They are of an
age to be both working, so their dog is likely to be let out when Boyfie & I
are still in bed ;-)

It does bark a lot when they are out, though. I can hear it through the
wall. I won't mention it until (and if) it drives me crazy. Then I will
merely suggest they put a bed in the kitchen at the back of the house for
their dog so it cannot get up at the front window to bark at me when I go
outside for wood, or anyone else who might pass by, it goes on for 15
minutes each time. Bark, bark, bark, someone went past the house - 15
minutes of barking.

I ought to trust Boyfie to look after himself really, but my opinion of
terriers has been coloured by the Rat Men. I was advised to keep Boyfriend
inside the house (otherwise he would be an ex-cat) when they were the
garden, killing rats & everything in their path. JRT's were among those
dogs.
So, we'll see how it goes to have a JRT next door.
Tweed

So I'm just a tiny bit

Old January 2nd 14, 07:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MaryL" wrote in message
Well, I can see my idea probably would not work. I do want to clarify one
point: When I said "nonconfrontational," I did not mean to imply that a
meeting with the neighbors might be confrontational. I was trying to
describe a situation where you and the neighbors could meet in a friendly
setting and give Boyfie and the dog an opportunity to see each other in a
nonconfrontational *setting.* That often works, but I can see from your
description that Boyfie would be freaked out. So, not a good idea. Let's
hope the dog is actually cat-friendly. The collies we had when I was
growing up would sleep with the cats curled up within their legs (but a
JRT is a very different type of dog).

I would never trust a terrier with a cat (unless they'd been reared with
them)
Terriers are bred to kill. That's their purpose in life, so it's a worry to
have a JRT next door.
I now expect to be flooded with posts - JRT's sleeping with cats and loving
them.

However, this is a JRT that Boyfie hasn't met yet and there is a possibility
that he doesn't see it coming.

Old January 4th 14, 08:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message

Boyfie knows there's a dog next door, he hears it barking. He's a clever
cat, he knows.

I'm not sure if he's clever enough to know that hearing a dog bark through
our attached walls means he knows he can expect to see one in next doors
garden.
He's bright and intelligent but I'm not sure he would get the idea. It's a
kind of an abstract concept for a cat, isn't it?
Anyway, up to now, no problem with the JRT apart from from barking for 15
mins every time someones goes by - which gives me 3/4 hour of silence. They
leave it too much alone - it's up at the window watching for them to come
home and barking at what it sees. Like at me, when I go out for wood..
I'm not going to mention it for months, they are just settling in.

Tweed

Old January 6th 14, 07:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

"Judith Latham" wrote in message

Boyfie knows there's a dog next door, he hears it barking. He's a
clever cat, he knows.

I'm not sure if he's clever enough to know that hearing a dog bark
through our attached walls means he knows he can expect to see one in
next doors garden. He's bright and intelligent but I'm not sure he
would get the idea. It's a kind of an abstract concept for a cat, isn't
it? Anyway, up to now, no problem with the JRT apart from from barking
for 15 mins every time someones goes by - which gives me 3/4 hour of
silence. They leave it too much alone - it's up at the window watching
for them to come home and barking at what it sees. Like at me, when I
go out for wood.. I'm not going to mention it for months, they are just
settling in.

Tweed

They are all settling in, including the dog. I hope the dog will get used
to you going in and out and won't bark at you. At least you know if anyone
is around, especially at night.

It doesn't bark when its people are home, but they seem responsible - they
are both back at work today, but one of them came back at 12.30 to let it
out, presumably to relieve itself, which is good.
It only barks when they are out. Typical separation anxiety.
AFAIK, Boyfie has not seen it yet.

Tweed

ALERT! Most URGENT alert In the World, ALERT! KittyLove Cat anecdotes 1 February 28th 13 06:25 AM
Alert Alert Alert harry Cat anecdotes 16 February 10th 10 01:13 AM
KF Alert! Kreisleriana Cat anecdotes 0 May 8th 07 05:12 PM
We all just got put on alert No More Retail Cat anecdotes 7 November 20th 05 04:26 AM