Litterbox help required

Old July 10th 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Stock

Default Litterbox help required

Cleo has not been using her box.

We thought we smelled urine in the basement in the past but could never find
it. About six weeks ago we finally discovered that she had been using a sofa
in the basement for her litterbox. We cleaned it with Nature's Miracle and
washed the seat covers, but it still smells. Covering the sofas in plastic
seemed to cure her for a while, but then she started pooping beside the
litter boxes. Although not a good thing, it's much better than whizzing on
the sofa.

About two weeks ago I thought I'd smelled urine again, but wasn't sure if it
was the sofas outgassing or a new problem. I was giving the fish their
weekly bath (water change), when I noticed Cleo going into the poop room. I
saw her checking out the one litterbox, so I thought all was well. A few
minutes later I caught her peeing on the carpet in a corner. I know where
her new spot is now!

I've read about the various reasons cats do this (texture, smell, poor
training as a kitten, UTIs, marking, etc) and some of the deterrents and
training methods. I'm pretty sure Cleo does it because of the smell of the
other cats (VERY territorial), although it's possible she associates it with
the pain from her Spay. I'm not sure deterrents for the current spot will
buy us much, as there are just too many other choices. I also did not think
much of the advise to lock her in a room with a box, until she learns to use
the box again. This seems somewhat cruel and likely ineffective, if the
other cats are the issue. She did not seem to have any problems using the
box when we had her segregated pending her medical. But of course she was
the only one using the box then.

Any bright ideas? I was considering getting Cleo her own box, using one of
those locking cat doors that use a magnetic collar. But I don't know if this
is the real issue. I guess I'll segregate her for a few days with her own
(clean) box to see how she makes out.

Old July 10th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeanne Hedge

Every time I've had "litter box rejection" the problem turned out to
be either 1) a sick kitty who just couldn't get there in time, 2) the
kitties had suddenly decided they didn't care for that particular
brand/type of litter any longer, or 3) that I wasn't cleaning the box
frequently enough for them.

As to the first, from what you describe, that doesn't sound likely. As
to the second, if you've used the same litter for quite a while, maybe
the formulation changed? As to the third, only you would know for
sure...

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com
Old July 10th 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

How many boxes do you have for them
is she neutered
how many new cats are we talking about
How were they introduced
You have to rule out a medical problem first before any behavioral problems
can be dealt with

Old July 10th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2006-07-09 19:24:40 -0500, "Bill Stock" said:

[...]

IMO, it is best to spend the money for a *complete* check up with blood
tests and urinalysis. You *have* to rule out a physical problem before
trying behavioural cures or it just won't work. Without that, you will
just be frustrated and have a frustrated cat too. I know it is
expensive, but it's more expensive to go on the feeling it is
territorial when it is not, in the long run. over 90% of the time this
is a physical issue.

Old July 10th 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen AKA Kajikit

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 20:24:40 -0400, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

Cleo has not been using her box.

How many boxes and how many cats? How often do you scoop/change the
litter/scrub the box? If she's truly fastidious try clumping litter
and scoop the box as soon as you see another cat leave the box.
We're lucky and our three cats don't mind sharing one big box that's
changed once a week and ideally scooped daily, but a lot of cats
demand their own.
The only time I've ever had litterbox rejection was when we tried
giving them a covered litterbox - one of the cats hated the covered
box but the last straw was adding one of those plastic litter-catching
mats at the entrance... once that was there she refused to set paw on
it, and preferred to pee any place else in the apartment besides
there! As soon as we went back to a regular open box and took away the
mat she was happy...
Old July 11th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Stock

wrote:

Cleo has not been using her box.

How many boxes and how many cats? How often do you scoop/change the
litter/scrub the box? If she's truly fastidious try clumping litter
and scoop the box as soon as you see another cat leave the box.
We're lucky and our three cats don't mind sharing one big box that's
changed once a week and ideally scooped daily, but a lot of cats
demand their own.

We have three boxes and three cats. They get scooped every day and cleaned
about once a month. We changed to that crappy wheat/pine? flushable stuff a
while back. But I'm TOLD that Cleo's problems started before this. We did
uncover one of the boxes, they are all Omega Paw. I'm pretty sure it's the
othjer cats, more than the cleanliness. I was tempted to buy one of those
Litter Robots, but fortunately for my wallet theh don't sell them here.

Cleo will be getting her own box (with clay) and room for the next few days
to see if that solves her problem. If she behaves with her own box, that
presents a problem.Perhaps we will have to settle her to a single cat home.
Although I fear that Cleo just has a screw loose and will not ever use a
litter box on a regular basis.

Old July 11th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Stock

On 2006-07-09 19:24:40 -0500, "Bill Stock" said:

[...]

Thanks Karen,

I may take her in for her checkup ahead of schedule, depending on what her
isolation reveals. I should know by tomorrow morning.

Old July 11th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Fat Freddy

How many boxes and how many cats?
How often do you scoop/change the litter/scrub the box?

We have two cats and two litter boxes.
The litter boxes are plaster mixing tubs from Home Depot.
They each hold 20 lbs. of clumping litter at 3 inch depth when they are
first filled. The volume diminishes as the clumps are removed and lasts
about three weeks at which time I wash them out and spray them inside
with cooking spray (PAM). This keeps the clumps from sticking on the
bottom.

I clean them first thing in the morning, last thing at night, and
several times during the day if I see they have been used. I use
PerSmart's brand of non-scented clumping litter which comes in 40 lb
boxes. Even after a couple of weeks use when it gets down pretty thin
in the tray, I have never had an odor problem. Even if I put my nose
down close, I don't notice anything.

Of course that might be just me. My house might really stink and
visitors too polite to say anything.
Old July 11th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

With three cats, you should have four (uncovered) litter boxes in varied
locations.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old July 12th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Stock

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
With three cats, you should have four (uncovered) litter boxes in varied
locations.

Yes, I've read about N+1. But I doubt it would help, as Smokeky likes to
make a point of marking all the boxes.

Cleo was segregated last night and did poop in the box, but appears to have
peed beside the box. So maybe she had a painful experience in the past that
we don't know about. She goes to the vet later in the week for a checkup, so
we'll see. It looks like a separate box for her would be best, but I'm not
sure how to work that. The other two are afraid of tin foil and Cleo is not,
so perhaps a separate box surrounded by tin foil.