CAT ATTACKS KID!

Old October 2nd 05, 03:28 PM
jmc

Default CAT ATTACKS KID!

Suddenly, without warning, Beth exclaimed (02-Oct-05 2:47 PM):
"Joe Canuck" wrote in message

Beth wrote:

All aggression is fear. All fear is caused by mishandling.

I know you're a troll...but that's just not true. My cat pounces at me
sometimes but she's playing. I let her do it when she was little and let
her bite on my hands because it didn't hurt and I didn't think much of it
when she just laid on my lap and nibbled my fingers. Now, she thinks she
can do it all the time.

...and that is because you allowed the habit to form when your cat was a
kitten. The message was: This behavior is okay.

This is exactly why she thinks this behavior is okay now. You will have a
very difficult time changing this.

It's not fear or aggression. She thinks she's playing with me. She has
never done it to anyone else. She just thinks that's how she and I play.

Oh I know that's why she thinks it's ok. She was my first pet and I thought
it was just cute when she was a kitten My reflexes have gotten better
and she rarely gets skin anymore. When she tries to bite at my arms I move
them and tell her no very loudly. She usually stops trying to bite then.
Now she usually just jumps up at me when she's excited and taps me with her
paws. She doesn't do the biting thing as often. She used to break skin,
but she hasn't done that in months. She's only about 1 1/2 yrs old.

I'm not quite sure what went on in my cat's furry little mind, but she
some how sorted out that while biting was not on, licking was OK. So
for quite a while, when she'd go to bite me - quick head movement and
all that - she'd end up licking me furiously instead. It was very cute!

jmc
Old October 2nd 05, 03:36 PM
Beth

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message

Beth wrote:

[...]

Awe, that is cute! Mine sometimes licks me after trying to bite me. I
think it's her way of saying that she's sorry for trying to take my arm off

Old February 17th 06, 12:46 PM posted to alt.animals.cat,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

jmc wrote in
:

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message

Beth wrote:

[...]

I have a cat that loves to bite, kick scratch, and lick. Her name's
Fireball of course. She's the only cat I know that needs to be
annoyed
periodically for her own happiness. She also will exaggerate any
accident to get sympathy.

My other cat, an enormously strong 15 pound lean male that, while
terrified of everything, will sometimes scratch me accidently with
his
extra toes. He doesn't want me to stop petting so soon.

During a severe allergy induced seizure he bit me full on the arm a
fewimes in quick succession. The scar if barely noticeable, and he
had
unusually large fang sized canines.

That is the only time a cat has ever done more than create a minor
itch.
I just don't see how an animal can injure something 10 to 20 times
its
size.
Old February 17th 06, 01:37 PM posted to alt.animals.cat,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"D." wrote in news:G%iJf.12833
:

You simply may not scar easily. Hodge has bitten me hard several

times;
I don't scar very easily, but I do have many scars. I have a

sizeable
one on my thigh where he bit off a chunk of flesh and which became
mildly infected and took longer to heal. When I first got him and

he
would attack and not let go, it was scary because they are

surprisingly
strong (animals have much more efficient muscles than humans) and
tenacious, and a few times I lost some blood (not like being bitten

in
"quick succession" -- a furious cat bites and hangs on, and is

smart
enough to go for vulnerable spots). I don't have any systemic

diseases,
so I healed pretty quickly -- quickly not being as quickly as other
wounds, because they are bites. I wouldn't be dismissive, not

having had
some experience.

It's late so I'm probably writing things in a more impulsive manner
than I intend.

Yeah, on second thought, I do have rather thick skin and am rather
robust in lean mass. (I also have a bit of mass on top of that.)
But believe me when Cerberus seized, his teeth were not holding back
at all.

Humans are animals, so trying to create a qualitative difference
where there is none is more anthropomorphism than I would expect on a
pet loving newsgroup.

Evolution adapted felines to ambush hunting. Their bodies specialize
in fast twitch muscle fibers and high burst strength but low
endurance. This makes them look stronger overall than they really
are.
Pound for pound muscles are pretty much the same across the board in
animals.
Due to bone and muscle attachment points humans give up a lot of
brute force but gain precision movement with the same muscle mass.
Old February 17th 06, 01:39 PM posted to alt.animals.cat,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"D." wrote in message
so I healed pretty quickly -- quickly not being as quickly as other
wounds, because they are bites. I wouldn't be dismissive, not having had
some experience.

My Deetoo at 11 months old doesn't scratch or bite much any more. When she
first started it, I'd wrestle her back grabbing her stomach and tapping her
nose with a finger. It got to the point where she'd go full force and I'd
have to pull my hand away, but I'd keep up the wrestling and now she knows
that if she wrestles, she's going to get more in return, so it doesn't
happen much anymore. The only time she bites now is when she's licking my
hand and sometimes it turns into a playful bite witch doesn't hurt at all
except when she gets one of my finger in her rear teeth. That I'm now
careful to avoid, but the rest is just playful fun.

Old February 17th 06, 07:06 PM posted to alt.animals.cat,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Patrick I. McCurry wrote:

It's late so I'm probably writing things in a more impulsive manner
than I intend.

Yeah, on second thought, I do have rather thick skin and am rather
robust in lean mass. (I also have a bit of mass on top of that.)
But believe me when Cerberus seized, his teeth were not holding back
at all.

Contractions while seizuring (the proper word is seizuring - not
seizing) are completely different that a full-blown purposeful bite. A
cat that wanted to bite you *would* break the skin.

Why did you reply to a post that was over 4 months old, anyway? Just
curious.

-L.

Old February 18th 06, 09:06 AM posted to alt.animals.cat,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"-L." wrote in
oups.com:

Patrick I. McCurry wrote:

It's late so I'm probably writing things in a more impulsive

manner
than I intend.

Yeah, on second thought, I do have rather thick skin and am rather
robust in lean mass. (I also have a bit of mass on top of that.)
But believe me when Cerberus seized, his teeth were not holding

back
at all.

Contractions while seizuring (the proper word is seizuring - not
seizing) are completely different that a full-blown purposeful

bite. A
cat that wanted to bite you *would* break the skin.

Why did you reply to a post that was over 4 months old, anyway?

Just
curious.

-L.

I only recently activated my server, and this is the first time that
I've seen this newsgroup. I'm still practicing this whole posting
thing.

I, intellectually, know that it's siezuring, but I just hate how that
sounds.

Believe me when Cerberus chomped, there was no bite strength held in
reserve. It broke the skin and bled, but just left the barest hint
of a scar.

I didn't mean for it to sound like I'm belittling those attacked by
housecats gone batsh*t crazy. I know that it came out that way.