I don't want to give her away, but she just won't stop urinating!

Old November 21st 05, 02:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default I don't want to give her away, but she just won't stop urinating!

Hello Everyone again!

To answer some of your earlier questions....I am really not to sure why
she picked those leather sofas. We have other couches in the house? We
did go away in July, and we left my cats at my in-laws while we were
away....I noticed the urinating shortly after we returned. Perhaps,
that is what initiated it all???

So I have my little one confined to a comfortable bedroom. It has been
really difficult for all of us, including her, my older cat, and both
my husband and I. I have spent much of the day up in the room with her.
She seems to be calming down and getting used to the room only now. I
have some Feliway sprayed in the room to keep her less anxious. Well,
just to report....so far no pee spots on the carpet! There is no real
furniture in this room for her to pee on, except a chair that she is
sleeping on. And guess what?? She has been peeing in her box! This is
great. I am so proud of her! I hope she keeps it up.

Gurpreet

Old November 21st 05, 02:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Gurpreet" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Make sure you praise her when she uses her litter box.

Next time you go away get a pet sitter. It will be less stressful for
someone to come in to feed, water, and spend some time with the cats than
them having to leave their home while you are away. Taking them to your
in-laws may not have anything to do with the present problem but the kitties
will be less stressed if they are in familiar surroundings.

Old November 21st 05, 06:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Gurpreet" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello Everyone again!

To answer some of your earlier questions....I am really not to sure why
she picked those leather sofas. We have other couches in the house? We
did go away in July, and we left my cats at my in-laws while we were
away....I noticed the urinating shortly after we returned. Perhaps,
that is what initiated it all???

It sure might be. How long were you gone? It is really disruptive for cats
to be uprooted from their home, especially if their customary humans are
absent.

So I have my little one confined to a comfortable bedroom. It has been
really difficult for all of us, including her, my older cat, and both
my husband and I. I have spent much of the day up in the room with her.
She seems to be calming down and getting used to the room only now. I
have some Feliway sprayed in the room to keep her less anxious.

Excellent. Just little steps. Gentle down, give yourself some time. She
is okay in there. And it is okay not to want to live in filth. I know that
sometimes it seems like it is either that or do without the cat, but
you are bright and resourceful and have a loving heart, I can tell. You
can retrain her. She's a lucky girl.

Well,
just to report....so far no pee spots on the carpet! There is no real
furniture in this room for her to pee on, except a chair that she is
sleeping on. And guess what?? She has been peeing in her box! This is
great. I am so proud of her! I hope she keeps it up.

This is GREAT! One thing you can count on: they are creatures of
habit. Just like us, habit comforts them. So one thing about confining
her is that you are retraining her. Reforming the good habits, if you
will, while you get the pee out of the couch and rugs. It is a good
thing.