Diet For A Neutered Male

Old March 14th 05, 09:45 PM
Becca

Default Diet For A Neutered Male

My neighbor's daugher went to jail for drug problems and we have adopted
three of her cats.

While I was out of town, the mother cat was spayed and Louie was
neutered (he is 7 months old), but my husband did not ask the doctor
about Louie's diet. Aren't male supposed to eat a special diet? Please
tell me what to feed him.

Thanks for your help.

Becca
Old March 14th 05, 10:08 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-03-14, Becca penned:
My neighbor's daugher went to jail for drug problems and we have adopted
three of her cats.

While I was out of town, the mother cat was spayed and Louie was neutered
(he is 7 months old), but my husband did not ask the doctor about Louie's
diet. Aren't male supposed to eat a special diet? Please tell me what to
feed him.

Thanks for your help.

Becca

My understanding is that a neutered male may not need as much food as an
unneutered male, purely based on activity level.

Males are more prone to urinary tract issues than females, so it's a good idea
to feed them canned food, which provides more liquid than dry.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 14th 05, 10:09 PM
Karen

"Becca" wrote in message
My neighbor's daugher went to jail for drug problems and we have adopted
three of her cats.

While I was out of town, the mother cat was spayed and Louie was
neutered (he is 7 months old), but my husband did not ask the doctor
about Louie's diet. Aren't male supposed to eat a special diet? Please
tell me what to feed him.

Thanks for your help.

Becca

Just lots of water. Canned, high quality food is best so that water intake
is optimum.

Old March 14th 05, 10:16 PM
Priscilla H. Ballou

Becca wrote:

My neighbor's daugher went to jail for drug problems and we have adopted
three of her cats.

While I was out of town, the mother cat was spayed and Louie was
neutered (he is 7 months old), but my husband did not ask the doctor
about Louie's diet. Aren't male supposed to eat a special diet? Please
tell me what to feed him.

No special diet. Good quality catfood (if possible) for cats of any
sex. Cats under a year are technically still kittens and should, if
possible, be fed kitten food, which is higher in fat and protein than
cat food. Let the kitten eat as much as he wants until 1 year.

Priscilla
Old March 14th 05, 10:18 PM
Joe Canuck

Becca wrote:

My neighbor's daugher went to jail for drug problems and we have adopted
three of her cats.

While I was out of town, the mother cat was spayed and Louie was
neutered (he is 7 months old), but my husband did not ask the doctor
about Louie's diet. Aren't male supposed to eat a special diet? Please
tell me what to feed him.

Thanks for your help.

Becca

Try to provide him with lots of water.

If he won't eat canned food (higher moisture content than dry) then
feeding him dry is okay... better he have food than none at all.

In either case, provide bowls of fresh drinking water at all times.
Better yet, invest in a pet fountain. Most cats enjoy these and seem to
drink more... at least in my experience.
Old March 15th 05, 01:56 PM
Becca

Thanks for everyone's advice on feeding Louie and for the articles you
recomended. Tina (the mother cat) and the 3-month old kitten will eat
anything, but Louie is not fond of canned food. I will keep trying
different kinds until I find one he likes.

Thanks.

Becca

Old March 15th 05, 10:09 PM
Joe Canuck

PawsForThought wrote:

Becca wrote:

Thanks for everyone's advice on feeding Louie and for the articles you
recomended. Tina (the mother cat) and the 3-month old kitten will eat
anything, but Louie is not fond of canned food. I will keep trying
different kinds until I find one he likes.

Thanks.

Becca

It is hard to switch some cats from dry food to canned food I know. One
thing that you might try is to add a bit of water to the dry food so the
cat gets used to a moister diet. You can also try making a powder of
the kibble by putting some in a towel and banging it with a hammer until
it gets powdery. Then you can try mixing that powder with some canned
food. Then each day keep adding less of the powdered kibble and more of
the canned until eventually you have all canned.

....or put it inside a Zip lock or Press 'n Seal bag then start pounded
on it from outside the bag.