Magic the beautiful guy

Old August 26th 10, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wayne Mitchell

Default Magic the beautiful guy

tivoglio wrote:

One concern with me is whether or not Magic will eat the z/d. He
appears to like the i/d, at least the dry stuff, but when I try to
feed him a little canned i/d, he just licks the moisture out of it and
leaves it. Does Will eat both canned and dry, or just one?

Will gets dry only. If I worked at it for a while, I might be able to
get him to eat some gooshy food, but Heidi absolutely wouldn't do it, so
I stick with dry for both of them. Neither of them is wild about the
z/d, but they both eat it fairly well.

I've actually heard of triaditis. I downloaded an article about it,
but when I got to the prognosis part, I felt a little ill myself. It
said that over half the cats who have it survive less than a year -
but maybe that's only if they don't receive treatment.

I think that triaditis is often a speculative diagnosis because the only
way to rule in the IBD part with any certainty is with exploratory
surgery and biopsy. Usually that's not done until the problem has
proved quite severe or intractable and the vet is wondering whether
there is any lymphoma involved. So maybe the short survival time is
measured from that point of definitive diagnosis. I know a lot of cats
can have some of the symptoms for years before the condition is
diagnosed. Will has had recurring bouts of pancreatitis for about four
years, and his IBD is still merely presumed. He's 17 years old and we
won't be doing any exploratory surgery.

The only time Magic had jaundice was early on, when the attacks
continued for two days and he wouldn't eat and became dehydrated. I
never let that happen again, but when he has a bout, his liver values
really spike.

Will's AST and ALT go into the stratosphere and remain high sometimes
even once he seems to be feeling pretty good again. I've got him on
Denamarin, which is a liver support supplement, but I've been thinking
that he perhaps should be on Ursodiol, which from my reading seems a
better choice for cholangitis. Those are some things to talk over with
your vet.

Does Will take anything like prednisolone? The vet told me that it
staves off inflammation and, unlike humans, cats can tolerate steroids
indefinitely.

We haven't yet put him on the pred, but it's been discussed as the next
option. It's true that cats tolerate systemic corticosteroids better
than humans or dogs do, though certainly not true that they can take
them indefinitely without risk. It's just that the risk from the pred
is smaller than the risk from continued inflammation of the bowel or
liver.

Also, does Will have a maniacal cravnng for grass?

When he gets a chance at an outdoor jaunt, he heads for the grass first
thing. But he's pretty toothless, so I don't have to worry about his
ingesting very much. And I'm not too concerned about possible
parasites.
--

Wayne M.
Old August 26th 10, 04:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

Ha,

If he's still able to catch a mouse he must still have a lot of life in him!

Barb

Old August 26th 10, 09:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene

Hello,

While I am not a vet, I have learned a lot about cats and cat
nutrition. Have you considered that he might have a food allergy?
Things like corn are common allergens in cats. IMO I would try feeding
him a high-quality wet diet, one with NO grains, for 6-8 weeks, and
see how he does. IMO I would not feed him any Hills/prescription food.
If you look at the ingredient list, it is scary. There are much better
diets out there, like Nature's Variety (canned or raw), Innova Evo
(canned), Wellness (canned), among others.

Good nutrition will help him in many ways. Any dry food doesn't have
enough moisture in it, and too many carbohydrates. Here is a great
nutrition web site with lots of information: http://www.catinfo.org

Rene
Old August 26th 10, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"tivoglio" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

Have her tested for heartworms. Yes, though rare they do infest cats. The
cyclic nature makes me think of this.

Hi. I guess the vet was on the same wavelength as you, and he tested
Magic for heartworm early on. Thankfully, he tested negative.

Thats good!

Old August 30th 10, 04:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
tivoglio

On Aug 26, 3:14*pm, Rene wrote:
Hello,

While I am not a vet, I have learned a lot about cats and cat
nutrition. Have you considered that he might have a food allergy?
Things like corn are common allergens in cats. IMO I would try feeding
him a high-quality wet diet, one with NO grains, for 6-8 weeks, and
see how he does. IMO I would not feed him any Hills/prescription food.
If you look at the ingredient list, it is scary. There are much better
diets out there, like Nature's Variety (canned or raw), Innova Evo
(canned), Wellness (canned), among others.

Good nutrition will help him in many ways. Any dry food doesn't have
enough moisture in it, and too many carbohydrates. Here is a great
nutrition web site with lots of information:http://www.catinfo.org

Rene

Rene, thanks for thinking about us. I have indeed visited the catinfo
web site, and I'm convinced that his diet must be changed to something
grain-free, especially corn. I've ordered a case of Innova Evo Venison
95%, and it should be here by the end of the week. Then, I will take
Magic off the Hill's (yes, it does have a rather disturbing ingredient
list), and I will feed him the Evo twice a day.I will stop his
prednisolone, add a few supplements like a probiotic, hold my breath,
and forge ahead.

I'll post again after this diet has been in effect for a few weeks,
and hopefully I'll spread nothing but good cheer.

Thanks again,
Tom
Old August 30th 10, 04:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
tivoglio

On Aug 25, 9:09*pm, Wayne Mitchell wrote:
*tivoglio wrote:
[...]

Wayne, in a perfect world I would let Magic frolic outdoors, catching
and eating whatever rodents and fowl he could. He's quite a hunter.
I'm sure his dietary problems would lessen and even disappear. But the
world is what it is and I'm going to try the next best thing - a
natural diet with no corn or chemicals. It's worth a shot. Hey, it's
worth many shots.

Also the pred and other meds need to be phased out. This weekend, I'll
load the Hoover Steemer with some vinegar and clean this whole house.
I'm exhausted just thinking about all this, bit it's worth the effort.

Tom
Old August 30th 10, 09:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Aug 30, 10:12*am, tivoglio wrote:
On Aug 26, 3:14*pm, Rene wrote:

[...]

I'm so pleased to read this, Tom! Make sure to transition to the Evo
slowly over the course of several days by mixing the old food with the
new, so to not upset his system. Our gang loves the venison, and I'm
sure Magic will too.

Giving a probiotic is a good idea too, but it doesn't have to be
fortiflora (I know it's pricey). Health food stores carry good brands
of probiotics. Just make sure whatever brand you buy doesn't have any
dairy in it.

Please keep us posted!

Rene

Vote for Magic?? Wingnut Cat anecdotes 0 April 9th 09 08:37 PM
New Magic Opportunity ORGspirit Cat health & behaviour 0 November 17th 08 05:24 AM
MAGIC TRICKS [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 0 July 18th 07 12:28 PM
The Magic Word Pat Cat anecdotes 8 July 9th 06 07:08 AM
Magic Purrs Kreisleriana Cat anecdotes 2 December 20th 04 07:21 PM