OT - Amazing Story

Old May 22nd 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

Default OT - Amazing Story

Story about a wallet, lost 37 years ago, found and returned to it's owner
(now 73 years old):
I'd post a link, but they are pay-to-view

John "Buzz" Mitchell got his own version of a time capsule this week when a
wallet he lost 37 years ago was returned.

"It was found in the Musical Arts building," Mitchell said. "I was a welder
up there in 1970."

The building, on the Indiana University campus, was completed in 1971.
Mitchell worked as a welder and remembers working on the large steel beams.
He believes the wallet may have simply fallen out of his pocket while he was
working.

About three weeks ago, workers were renovating the women's' restroom in the
building when the wallet was found between two cinder block walls by Dave
Jackson and Tom Floyd. The two contacted Bob McGlocklin, who works for the
Physical Plant at IU.

Workers asked McGlocklin if he knew Mitchell. Initially he said no, but when
he went over to investigate the wallet's content,. McGlocklin recognized
Buzz in some of the pictures found in the wallet.

"Yeah, there's some stuff in there that's got Buzz on it," McGlocklin said.

In an attempt to find his old friend, McGlocklin called a John Mitchell in
Owensburg, but it was the wrong one. Fortunately, that Mitchell put
McGlocklin in touch with Buzz's son.

"I was in bed asleep, and he said that they found your wallet," Mitchell
remembers. "Well, that just blew my mind ''cause I didn't remember losing
one."

Although he didn't remember losing the wallet, Mitchell said he immediately
recognized the wallet when he first saw it. Nothing was missing, from the
wallet which included a $5 bill, his Mitchell's driver's license, credit
cards, Moose membership card and pictures. He even found a layaway ticket
for a $6 belt that he'd already paid $1one dollar on.

"There was a bunch of stuff in there," he said. "It was just plump, full of
trash."

Back in 1970, Mitchell worked for Arnold Construction Company. He said his
ears were frost-bitten one day when the temperatures dipped to 10 below
zero.

"Back then, it was in the winter time," he said. "It was really cold that
winter."

With the wallet returned, Mitchell decided to keep it as it was found,
unfolded with all the items still inside. He's put it in a plastic bag and
secured it with a rubber band.

McGlocklin said it isn't uncommon to find items hidden between walls during
construction. Over the years, he has found jewelry, contact lenses and other
items, but never a wallet. When workers found the wallet, they also found
six beer cans and an empty half-pint bottle of whiskey.

"I asked John, 'You didn't lose those in there, too?,'" McGlocklin joked.
"He said no."

*-also a sidebar that lists items in the wallet-*
It once was lost, but now it's found

After 37 years, John "Buzz" Mitchell was reunited with his wallet. Inside,
he found:
.. Warning ticket for speeding in Greenwood
.. 1970 deer hunting license for archery
.. Driver's license
.. Pictures
.. Layaway ticket for a $6 belt
.. $5 bill