Dot's unlucky playmate

Old May 20th 11, 11:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Default Dot's unlucky playmate

Mischief wrote:
Awwwww, what a cutie! Thank goodness you rescued it.

but what did Dot think when you ROBBED her of her prey and then LET IT
GO???!!!

She's generally been very tolerant about that. She purrs and rubs up
against me when I take her "toy" away.

She seems to either think that I'm the senior lion of the pride who
gets first dibs on prey, or that I'm a dumb kitten she's teaching how
to hunt.
Old May 20th 11, 11:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"Christina Websell" wrote:
She was probably relieved not to have to go for the killing bite as grey
squirrels have a big bite if they are threatened.
Sensible girl!
Although Boyfriend shows off about his ratting prowess he only gets the baby
ones secret that are not that much bigger than mice.
*Because* the big rats have teeth like chisels and he is not daft. I've
seen him outside watch a very big rat go past, he saw it for sure and just
washed himself like "I did not see that one.."
KFC used to do that too and as he was her apprentice maybe she taught him
the size of rat that was sensible to attack. She was a very small cat, so
maybe he could do a bit bigger one ;-)
Tweed

Boyfriend is so funny. I think Buster must be similar - he wouldn't
go near where the squirrel commotion was happening.
Old May 21st 11, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Takayuki" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
She was probably relieved not to have to go for the killing bite as grey
squirrels have a big bite if they are threatened.
Sensible girl!
Although Boyfriend shows off about his ratting prowess he only gets the
baby
ones secret that are not that much bigger than mice.
*Because* the big rats have teeth like chisels and he is not daft. I've
seen him outside watch a very big rat go past, he saw it for sure and just
washed himself like "I did not see that one.."
KFC used to do that too and as he was her apprentice maybe she taught him
the size of rat that was sensible to attack. She was a very small cat, so
maybe he could do a bit bigger one ;-)
Tweed

Boyfriend is so funny. I think Buster must be similar - he wouldn't
go near where the squirrel commotion was happening.

Don't blame him!
Boyfie must have been reading these posts like "what? me? not a rat
hunter?"
He's brought me 3 today, 2 within 10 minutes. Ok, they were very small,
only about twice as big as mice, but you can always tell a baby rat from a
mouse as they have thicker tails and legs and their heads are larger.
I always praise him for it as a little one is not allowed to grow into a big
one.
He was so anxious to rush home with the first one that he still had ivy
leaves in his mouth that he must have plucked when he grabbed it so I got it
presented with a garnish ;-)

Tweed

Old May 21st 11, 11:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

He's brought me 3 today, 2 within 10 minutes. Ok, they were very small,
only about twice as big as mice, but you can always tell a baby rat from a
mouse as they have thicker tails and legs and their heads are larger.
I always praise him for it as a little one is not allowed to grow into a big
one.
He was so anxious to rush home with the first one that he still had ivy
leaves in his mouth that he must have plucked when he grabbed it so I got it
presented with a garnish ;-)

Haha! You've embarrassed him, and now he has to make sure that you, as
well as all of us, are aware that he *does* kill rats, and he was merely
washing himself yesterday because his fur needed a wash.

Joyce

--
It is better to give than to lend, and it costs about the same.
-- Unknown
Old May 22nd 11, 11:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

On 22.5.2011 0:05, Christina Websell wrote:
He was so anxious to rush home with the first one that he still had ivy
leaves in his mouth that he must have plucked when he grabbed it so I got it
presented with a garnish ;-)

That reminds me of way back when Nikki was trying to teach Frank to hunt
(she finally succeeded, after about ten years). She would bring him
voles, dead or alive, and drop them in front of him and sit back and
purr. Frank usually just ignored her gift or briefly sniffed at it, then
walked away. Once, she had grabbed a mouthful of grass with the vole,
which she dropped down in front of him along with the vole. Frank gave
his usual perfunctory sniff, then did a double-take, came back, and
started to eat the grass.

--
Marina
Old May 22nd 11, 08:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

He's brought me 3 today, 2 within 10 minutes. Ok, they were very small,
only about twice as big as mice, but you can always tell a baby rat from
mouse as they have thicker tails and legs and their heads are larger.
I always praise him for it as a little one is not allowed to grow into a
big
one.
He was so anxious to rush home with the first one that he still had ivy
leaves in his mouth that he must have plucked when he grabbed it so I
got it
presented with a garnish ;-)

Haha! You've embarrassed him, and now he has to make sure that you, as
well as all of us, are aware that he *does* kill rats, and he was merely
washing himself yesterday because his fur needed a wash.

He was certainly embarrassed by reading the posts and had to prove himself.
I don't want him to try the big ones. They are a challenge for the
terriers, wasn't so long ago I was dabbing antiseptic on a terriers nose
when she was bleeding from a big rat hanging on.
By getting them small he is able to satisfy his instinct to hunt - those who
get away and grow big, he is sensible enough to say "No way, Jose" and then
we invite the terriers. I have to keep him in overnight if they are coming
otherwise they would kill him also and everything alive in their path.
Tweed

,

Old May 22nd 11, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Marina" wrote in message
On 22.5.2011 0:05, Christina Websell wrote:
He was so anxious to rush home with the first one that he still had ivy
leaves in his mouth that he must have plucked when he grabbed it so I got
it
presented with a garnish ;-)

That reminds me of way back when Nikki was trying to teach Frank to hunt
(she finally succeeded, after about ten years). She would bring him voles,
dead or alive, and drop them in front of him and sit back and purr. Frank
usually just ignored her gift or briefly sniffed at it, then walked away.
Once, she had grabbed a mouthful of grass with the vole, which she dropped
down in front of him along with the vole. Frank gave his usual perfunctory
sniff, then did a double-take, came back, and started to eat the grass.

That is so not grateful!
Tweed

Dot's not old, is she? Takayuki Cat anecdotes 1 December 12th 09 06:56 PM
Dot's anxiety Takayuki Cat anecdotes 24 August 7th 07 06:28 AM
Dot's day of adventure Takayuki Cat anecdotes 7 June 26th 07 03:22 AM
cat too old for playmate? Camilla Cracchiolo Cat health & behaviour 6 May 23rd 06 06:44 PM
cross your fingers for Unlucky Sue Cat health & behaviour 1 June 21st 05 12:36 AM