Smudge is dying

Old April 6th 11, 02:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Smudge is dying

Cheryl wrote:

On 4/5/2011 7:28 PM, wrote:

After seeing your first post, I called the vet again just to make sure.
I told her how you had not given your cat any treatment other than
palliative, but he lived for a few more months. So I didn't want to
jump the gun. But she said that Smudge's intestine is perforating, and
could rupture at any time. I do want the chance to say goodbye, but I
sure don't want that to happen. Like hopitus said, that would*hurt*.
I want her to have a peaceful death, not one in agony. So, thank you
for the information - I would rather have considered what you did now,
than heard about it after the fact, when it was too late.

For any cat that I've had to make that big decision for, I asked for the
prognosis. And the pain level. I've only had to put down two.

Marley, well, he couldn't take a **** (megacolon) and after many trips
to the vet for enemas, it was time after the surgeon told me that to
remove the diseased parts of the intestines, he'd have chronic diarrhea.
Without the surgery the only way to take a poop was to have it pulled
out of his butt. Chronic diarrhea without hope of ever clearing it up
was not an option for life for a fastidiously clean animal.

Shadow, he had too many problems to keep him going. I promised him
after he had to go through a feeding tube and many surgeries that if he
needed any more surgery to save him, that it was time to go. It broke
my heart. He'd been through so much, and he had a disease due to a
transfusion that none of us expected.

Sometimes it's just time, but you have to know the prognosis.
talk honestly with the vet and let them know you have to know everything.

I've already done this. That's what my last post (which you've even quoted
here) said. I talked to the vet *again*, for the third time today. Just to
make sure, again.

I'm touchy about this, because it's hard enough to go through this without
feeling like people think I would do something so drastic without making
sure. Really. I've checked.

Joyce
Old April 6th 11, 02:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jack Campin wrote:

My neighbor who watches her and feeds her noticed that she wasn't
eating, had lost weight, and was acting listless. I brought her to
the vet yesterday and the vet felt "a mass" in her abdomen. Today
she had an ultrasound, and they found metastasized cancer in her
small intestine and throughout her abdomen. The vet said that they
can't do anything for her, because it's already spread, and even if
they performed surgery to take out the largest tumor, it might buy
her another month or two at most, but then she'd just develop another
tumor - it's a very aggressive type of cancer. They recommend
euthanasia within the next couple of *days*. Days? This is such
a shock. I already knew the vet suspected cancer, but I was expecting
that Smudge would have treatment and that she would be able to live
longer.

That's sad... my Ishmael had an abdominal cancer of some sort, but he
survived for months and we could tell how far it was progressing. You
don't expect something so abrupt.

Does she still like catnip? Strong-flavoured little treats?

I will find out tonight if she has any interest in these things. (She
certainly did, at one time.)

Joyce
Old April 6th 11, 03:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
pat Chlebowski

Sorry to hear the news.... I'm glad she isn't in pain and you have time
to say goodbye... It still is a hard thing to do...

Old April 6th 11, 07:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rockinghorse Winner[_5_]

* It may have been the liquor talking, but
wrote:

My neighbor who watches her and feeds her noticed that she wasn't
eating, had lost weight, and was acting listless. I brought her to
the vet yesterday and the vet felt "a mass" in her abdomen. Today
she had an ultrasound, and they found metastasized cancer in her
small intestine and throughout her abdomen. The vet said that they
can't do anything for her, because it's already spread, and even if
they performed surgery to take out the largest tumor, it might buy
her another month or two at most, but then she'd just develop another
tumor - it's a very aggressive type of cancer. They recommend
euthanasia within the next couple of *days*. Days? This is such
a shock. I already knew the vet suspected cancer, but I was expecting
that Smudge would have treatment and that she would be able to live
longer.

The only good thing the vet said is that she's pretty sure Smudge
is not in pain. She felt around quite a bit, and the ultrasound puts
a lot of pressure on the area, and she didn't complain. She doesn't
have to be put down right this minute. So I'm bringing her home for
a day or two, to say goodbye. I know she won't be thrilled to be in
my house, but I'll keep her in a room by herself, away from the other
two. She's very low energy and has not been the feisty, willful cat
she's always been, and I think she'll just hunker down and rest.

More later...

Wow, I'm so sorry. PP

*R* *H*
--
Powered by Linux |/ 2.6.32.26-175 Fedora 12
"No spyware. No viruses. No nags." |/ 2.6.31.12-0.2 OpenSUSE 11.2
Old April 6th 11, 07:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
catlady

On Apr 5, 6:28*pm, wrote:
wrote:

* On 05 Apr 2011 21:21:27 GMT, wrote:

*
*Did your vet say that Moe's intestine might rupture at any time, causing
*him to become septic? Did the vet actually say that you should put him down
*immediately?

* No and no. The specific type of cancer was never diagnosed.

*That's what my vet warned me about. This is apparently a very
*aggressive cancer, and the vet really thinks that she is in the end stage.
*Why would she encourage me to put her down before it was absolutely necessary?

* Like I said, you know best...

After seeing your first post, I called the vet again just to make sure.
I told her how you had not given your cat any treatment other than
palliative, but he lived for a few more months. So I didn't want to
jump the gun. But she said that Smudge's intestine is perforating, and
could rupture at any time.

If this is the case waiting could mean a lifetime of guilt and regret.
While we want to have more time, sometimes it just can't be. I have
lost two kitties to intestinal cancer. I did not get the goodbye I
wished for for either of my babies as both times it was diagnosed
during an exploratory surgery and was so far advanced it would not
have been fair to wake them up, so both times I stood at the surgery
table and held them as best I could while the final injection was
given. In my experience most vets are reluctant to recommend
euthanasia unless the condition is very serious, and if the intestine
is perforating she is at great risk for pain and suffering and an
ultimately horrible death without dignity. Doing the right thing for
our loved ones is often also the most difficult choice we have to
make. :-(

Old April 6th 11, 09:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon & Smudgie

wrote in message
[...]

Oh Joyce I am so sorry to hear this. Sending purrs for you both.

Sharon & Smudgie

Old April 6th 11, 10:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

On 6/04/2011 11:35 AM, wrote:
Cheryl wrote:

On 4/5/2011 7:28 PM,
wrote:

[...]

For what its worth, Joyce, I can't possibly imagine you doing anything
other than the very best you can possibly do for your cats.

I'm so so sorry you have to make the decision, its heartbreaking even
when you know thats its 110% the right decision to make.

Hugs and purrs,

Yowie
Old April 6th 11, 02:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
BfloPolska

I am so sorry to hear this...it's never an easy thing. Purrs for you
both, ofr Smudge's crossing and your heart.

Blessed be,
Baha

Old April 6th 11, 04:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On 05 Apr 2011 16:00:15 GMT, wrote:

[...]

Oh, great sorrow. It's so hard to read these posts but here everyone
has gone through this and we know how hard it is. Enjoy the time
remaining and Smudge knows that she goes over the bridge having
friends.
Old April 6th 11, 05:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

wrote in message
[...]

Joyce,
Catlady and Hopitus have given good advice. It is time to release Smudge and
not risk waiting for the intestines to perforate. You have had an
ultrasound, and it showed that the cancer has metastasized. This is one of
the most difficult decisions that a person has to make, but I have said on
several other occasions that euthanasia under circumstances like this is the
final gift of love. People will sometimes tell you that a cat will "tell"
you when "the time has come." That simply is not true. Cats are expert at
hiding illness and pain, and it is up to us to try to determine the extent
of pain and the likelihood of positive results from medical care. You have
written that Smudge has lost weight, is low on energy, shows a change in
behavior, and the vet has said that this is a very aggressive form of
cancer.

Many years ago, I had to have a beloved cat put to sleep. Some friends of
mine told me that they could never do that to one of their cats. Some time
later, they came to me and said they wished they had had the courage to make
the same decision as I had. There were no emergency vets in their area at
that time, and they sat up all night watching their cat basically drown in
its own fluids. They had waited too long, and their wonderful cat suffered
untold agony as a result. You have taken all reasonable steps that you can
for Smudge, and I think it is now time to give Smudge that final gift love.

You have my deepest sympathy. I know how hard this is, but you would be
making a decision to spare Smudge a painful future instead of making a
selfish decision for yourself.

MaryL