Natasha Update

Old August 20th 03, 02:04 AM
Sam Nash

"Jeanne Hedge" wrote in message
Here's an update about Natasha, my 16 year-old mistress
who spent one Friday morning about 10 days ago coating my house in
vomit.

snipped

Purrs for Natasha's recovery.
Sam

Old August 20th 03, 04:33 AM
fuga =^o^=

Hi Christine,

Sub-q fluids was something the vet mentioned as a "down the road"
possibility for Natasha (she called it "kitty dialysis"), and said it
was something they could teach me to do. Did you give the shots
yourself or did you take your cats to the vet to get them? What does
it entail? How frequently were they given? Is this something really
complicated? Were they expensive?

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

Fuga is getting fluids now for his constipation (once a week).. I think they
start the fluid therapy for cats once their creatine gets elevated because
the cats cannot drink enough water to keep up with the dehydration they have
from frequent urination. I think initally it starts off as once a week and
gradually builds up to daily. I think if Natasha is on K/D and she's been
caught at the very early stages it could be many years before you need to do
fluids.

You can take your cat to the vet to have it done but it gets to be costly,
my vet charges $12.50 to administer the fluids, to buy the fluids and the
needles it costs us about $25.00 and we can use it for 10 times... I think
it's best to take the cat in and watch the vet do it a few times and then
gradually you can try doing it at the vet. We took fuga into the vet about
5 times before Bruce and I administered the fluids at home. To be honest, I
cannot get myself to the point of inserting needle yet..

It is upsetting to hear that our kitties have CRF, fuga was diagnosed with
it 14 months ago. Caught early with a proper diet they can liver quite a
while, on some of the CRF groups I'm on there are people who have cats with
CRF for 7 years.

Huggs & headbutts,

Fuga

Old August 20th 03, 05:41 AM
Byron & Christine Burel

"Jeanne Hedge" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 22:06:47 -0600, "Byron & Christine Burel"
wrote:

I have had 2 cats
with kidney failure; one diagnosed at 15 and who lived till almost 21 and
the last who was diagnosed at 14 and lived till 17. In both cases, I

feel
that giving subq fluids helped them feel better and helped their kidney
values.

Hi Christine,

Sub-q fluids was something the vet mentioned as a "down the road"
possibility for Natasha (she called it "kitty dialysis"), and said it
was something they could teach me to do. Did you give the shots
yourself or did you take your cats to the vet to get them? What does
it entail? How frequently were they given? Is this something really
complicated? Were they expensive?

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

http://www.jhedge.com

CompuServe Anime/Manga Forum via Your Browser
- IT'S FREE! -
*** http://go.compuserve.com/anime ***

Hi Jeanne,

It wasn't that hard to do. DH was kind enough to do it for me for the first
year with Frodo (the almost 21-yr-old) because I was squeamish -- then he
started travelling and well, I just had to do it so I did. I gave Frodo 100
ml once a day and the same amount a few years later when I had to start with
fluids for Shetra. The higher you can hang the bag the faster the flow rate
and the less time it takes to give the fluids; I finally got the idea to
hand the bag on a coathanger from our shower rod in the bathroom. And
always, always after the cat getting fluids was done I broke out special
kitty treats for him (and also for the other kitties, too.) I think also
you can get a better price than Dan did maybe by asking some of the people
on the CRF groups when the time comes. Also, I have another friend I can
ask who knows of a good place to order online but I can't recall it at the
moment, will ask for you.-- I was very lucky -- my vet let me buy a case of
IV fluids (12 bags) plus all the accessory supplies for about $35-$40,
because I learned (not hard) to attach the lines and needles myself.

And, Jeanne, if I can do it, anyone can!
Christine

Old August 22nd 03, 04:07 PM
SUQKRT

In article , (Jeanne Hedge)
wrote:

My mistress has ceased her dictation to me on this subject, so that's the

Tasha Update for today ^_^

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

http://www.jhedge.com

I'm glad she's ok.
Suz
Iron Chef Macmoosette
Thank Heavens There's Only One

Chocolate heals all wounds.
Old August 22nd 03, 06:30 PM
Ginger-lyn Summer

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 22:06:47 -0600, "Byron & Christine Burel"
wrote:

Purrs for both Natasha and for you, Jeanne -- hope the antibiotics clear up
infection quickly. I'm no expert but maybe she was feeling nauseated from
being dehydrated after several bouts of throwing up ? I have had 2 cats
with kidney failure; one diagnosed at 15 and who lived till almost 21 and
the last who was diagnosed at 14 and lived till 17. In both cases, I feel
that giving subq fluids helped them feel better and helped their kidney
values. I hope that Natasha won't need fluid therapy for a long while yet
but if she does it can be beneficial.
hugs,
Christine

Purrs from here, too, and a second to Christine's post that subq
fluids can really help. I have not yet started doing them with Cosmo,
but I know the time will come, and I will be ready.

Ginger-lyn