Mytsery...What kind of cat doesn't shed and is a limp couch potato?

Old February 4th 04, 05:33 PM
Ro

Default Mytsery...What kind of cat doesn't shed and is a limp couch potato?

I adopted a lovely short haired gray female stray cat with large yellow
eyes, about 6 mo ago from a local shelter. (She was in a cage on Death Row
for 5 weeks). Vet checked her out...she/s probably 3-4 yrs old, had been
spayed and declawed previously....other than needing a teeth/gum cleaning
and "kind of boney" build (she's put on 2 lbs since then), he said she is
fine and healthy.........

Several mysteries about this beautiful creature. She doesn't shed and she
doesn't play. She had an very unusual frosty gray (almost lavender) at
times coat., pinkish gray tufted ears, milky white mittens &
tux............a.curiously soft coat like rabbit fur and barely ever sheds a
hair! When you pick her up she purrs and goes kind of limp when you set her
down! She doesn't want to do anything but sit and cuddle on the nearest
available lap! I have tried to get her to play ...........catnip mice,
string toys, laser light, wand/feathers...........Nothing seems to entice
her but sitting on laps like a big lump of potatoes and cuddle! Her only
activity is to watch the birds/squirrels out the window, or climb across a
table (despite no claws) to get to a Lap. and that's about it.

I would like to get her a Cat tree to provide her some exercise as she gets
none playing. I heard about a special breed of cats bred to be Lappers and
low maintenance affectionate house pets ........species or sub species
called something like a Ragdoll? If she is part Ragdoll, could this explain
her characteristics? Appreciate any info.
Thanks!

Old February 4th 04, 09:03 PM
Yngver

Ro" wrote:

Several mysteries about this beautiful creature. She doesn't shed and she
doesn't play. She had an very unusual frosty gray (almost lavender) at
times coat., pinkish gray tufted ears, milky white mittens &
tux............a.curiously soft coat like rabbit fur and barely ever sheds a
hair!

All cats shed. I have a grey (more officially called blue) cat with a thick
coat, and I've found with that color the shed fur is not very noticeable. Most
likely you just haven't noticed much hair.

When you pick her up she purrs and goes kind of limp when you set her
down! She doesn't want to do anything but sit and cuddle on the nearest
available lap! I have tried to get her to play ...........catnip mice,
string toys, laser light, wand/feathers...........Nothing seems to entice
her but sitting on laps like a big lump of potatoes and cuddle! Her only
activity is to watch the birds/squirrels out the window, or climb across a
table (despite no claws) to get to a Lap. and that's about it.

I would like to get her a Cat tree to provide her some exercise as she gets
none playing. I heard about a special breed of cats bred to be Lappers and
low maintenance affectionate house pets ........species or sub species
called something like a Ragdoll? If she is part Ragdoll, could this explain
her characteristics? Appreciate any info.
Thanks!

I doubt she is part Ragdoll. Many mixed breed cats have the characteristics you
describe. As for her lack of interest in playing, it may be that she does not
feel secure yet and needs time to settle in. It may also be that having been
declawed, there is some residual pain in her paws and she is reluctant to swat
at anything.

When we adopted a stray last summer, it took her a month or two before she
became interested in playing. I don't think her previous owners, whoever they
may have been, took any time to play with her and it seemed as though she
didn't get the concept right away.

Old February 5th 04, 04:16 AM
Dennis Carr

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 21:03:13 +0000, Yngver wrote:

All cats shed. I have a grey (more officially called blue) cat with a thick
coat, and I've found with that color the shed fur is not very noticeable. Most
likely you just haven't noticed much hair.

Dunno, I've never seen a sphynx shed.

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.