Indoor cats

Old August 25th 05, 05:13 PM
Alison

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Alison" wrote in message

other organisations that do. The RSPCA is not goverment run.

Are there any government run animal welfare organizations in the

UK?

Not AFAIK , they don't even contribute any money to the RSPCA . The
RSPCA is a charity and has to support itself. There's DEFRA which is
a goverment division,
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/animindx.htm
and the local councils deal with stray dogs.
Is that the same in the US and the SPCA. I saw a programme about the
SPCA in New York and they were like cops, they had guns and could go
into people's property . I was impressed. G
Alison

Old August 25th 05, 07:23 PM
shortfuse

Why cats should be indoors...A perfect example was found today.
There had been a precious tiger cat (not more than 1 yr) roaming our
neighborhood. I gave him some food, but thinking he belonged to someone, I
dismissed taking him in. This morning I found him in our alley next to us,
hit by a car and smashed. I called the Animal Control so he could be "laid
to rest". My husband and I scooted him over away from getting repeatedly
smashed and covered him up with a old cloth.
I wish people who own pets would keep a better eye on them. This poor kitty
didnt deserve to have his life ended so soon and like it did.

Old August 25th 05, 08:06 PM
Enfilade

shortfuse wrote:
Why cats should be indoors...A perfect example was found today.

Right now in Halifax, there is a bylaw on the table that will forbid
cat owners from allowing their pets outside unsupervised/unleashed.

They have had THAT MANY complaints about cats trespassing on
neighbours' property and leaving feces about town.

--Fil

Old August 25th 05, 09:04 PM
W. Leong

"Enfilade" wrote in message
ups.com...

shortfuse wrote:
Why cats should be indoors...A perfect example was found today.

Right now in Halifax, there is a bylaw on the table that will forbid
cat owners from allowing their pets outside unsupervised/unleashed.

They have had THAT MANY complaints about cats trespassing on
neighbours' property and leaving feces about town.

--Fil

The condo I live in has a bylaw that states that all pets must be leashed
or in carriers or held by humans while in the common areas. But I still see
cats and dogs roaming free in the hallway. Once a dog jumped on me when I
opened my door to go to work. Another time a dog came nosing on my door
and drew Rusty's attention. Not to mention the 3 cats that live on my floor
frequently roam the hallway. While the common areas are prefectly safe for
them, not all encounters with them are pleasant.

Winnie

Old August 25th 05, 09:43 PM
Christina Websell

"Enfilade" wrote in message
ups.com...

shortfuse wrote:
Why cats should be indoors...A perfect example was found today.

Right now in Halifax, there is a bylaw on the table that will forbid
cat owners from allowing their pets outside unsupervised/unleashed.

They have had THAT MANY complaints about cats trespassing on
neighbours' property and leaving feces about town.

--Fil

It is recognised here in the UK that it is unreasonable for an owner of a
cat to be responsible for what it does whilst roaming, and also that cats
cannot be controlled by law. Unlike dogs.
We expect cats to be allowed out here to go where they wish. Not so dogs.
For a law to be passed for cats to not be allowed out unless on a
lead/harness is ridiculous. It's abusive for the cats.
(cross posts noticed and removed.) For a change!!

Tweed

Old August 27th 05, 02:45 PM
MatSav

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 17:13:27 +0100, "Alison"
wrote:

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Alison" wrote in message

other organisations that do. The RSPCA is not goverment run.

Are there any government run animal welfare organizations in the

UK?

Not AFAIK ,

The Veterinary Laboratories Agency is one:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/vla/

See also

http://www.direct.gov.uk/Nl1/Newsroo...870&chk=JiY6ig

--
MatSav
Old August 29th 05, 08:58 AM
wafflycat

"MatSav" m a t t h e w D O T s a v a g e A T d s l D O T p i p e x D OT c o
m wrote in message ...

The Veterinary Laboratories Agency is one:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/vla/

Which is not really an animal welfare organisation as such, in the same way
as RSPCA and the smaller charities the public donate to. Its brief is more
to do with disease in farm animals, along the lines of foot & mouth. They
certainly have no interface with joe public, but link up with industry. Put
it this way - you wouldn't approach the VLA for help with vet bills... for
that low-cost neutering. Donations to Defra are our taxes ;-)

See also

http://www.direct.gov.uk/Nl1/Newsroo...870&chk=JiY6ig

Launch of a new bit of draft legislation for public consultation. Not sure
if it made the statute books or not. We do already have animal cruelty
legislation. One thing to remember about over here is that farm animals &
pets are viewed differently.

Basically in cases of animal cruelty, the law is delegated (for want of a
better word) to the RSPCA to uphold - so it's the RSPCA which bring
prosecutions against people for animal cruelty. Saying that, the RSPCA is
incredibly good at publicity raising money for its shelters and for
highlighting cases of cruelty (which is a vital part of animal welfare
education), but it can be less enthusiastic about rescue itself...

See

http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&tBrand=ed ponline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED28%20Aug%202005% 2018%3A11%3A07%3A010

Cheers, helen s

--
MatSav

Old August 30th 05, 07:54 PM

The difference between an outdoor cat and an indoor cat is roughly
twice as long a life expectancty.

Carl in CT

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
check out my online Art Gallery:
http://ceb364.deviantart.com/gallery/

buy some of my prints:
http://ceb364.deviantart.com/store/

Old August 30th 05, 08:43 PM
Ivor Jones

wrote in message
oups.com
The difference between an outdoor cat and an indoor cat
is roughly twice as long a life expectancty.

Carl in CT

Not necessarily, it depends entirely on where you live. I know many
outdoor cats who lived to a ripe old age, one I know of is 18 and another
who sadly died (of natural causes) last year was 22. There was a reported
case in the newspapers here a few years ago of a cat who lived entirely
outdoors reaching the age of 31.

Ivor

Old August 30th 05, 09:03 PM
Christina Websell

wrote in message
oups.com...
The difference between an outdoor cat and an indoor cat is roughly
twice as long a life expectancty.

Carl in CT

In some countries, and some situations perhaps. It's all about judgment,
only you know how dangerous or not it would be for your cat to go outdoors.
My Kitty FC is around 18 years old, according to TED. She has lived
outdoors mainly, indoors when she felt like it, indeed she chose to, all her
life. This is the UK, though and I live in a quiet area traffic wise and a
huge garden and fields at the back of it where both mine can wander to their
heart's content.
So it just depends, doesn't it? If I wanted to argue with you, I could say
that people can live a long time in prison. But I don't. I trust people
here on this group to make the best and safest decision for their own cats.

Tweed