playing with the kitties at the Shelter - very long

Old November 7th 04, 06:21 AM
Karen AKA KajiKit

Default playing with the kitties at the Shelter - very long

Sorry this is so long, but I've got actual kitty-related information
to share and I'm excited about it

ohn took me to see the rescue kitties at Animal Aid this morning...
i've never been to a shelter before - there were so many sweet little
kitties there just dying to be loved... poor babies! they made me want
to pick them all up and cuddle them and take them ALL home to love...

when we walked up to the door there were some kitties in the window
and a sweet little silver spotted tabby mewed at me and tried to
headbut me through the glass. I went inside and it jumped down from
the perch and came over to the wire for some petting, but it was a bit
hard to do through the wire of the cage. The cage next to it had a
sweet little tabby baby who was even more enthusiastic about loving -
Nine kept climbing up on the wire of the cage to get closer to my face
and it gave me a kittykiss through the cage. I was a bit afraid to try
and take her out to cuddle though - she was such an enthusiastic
climber and jumper that I was sure she'd jump right out of my arms and
attempt a jailbreak!
We also saw a sweet torty who's got a broken pelvis, and I avoided
looking at the other special needs kitties because I didn't want to
get too attached to any of them - we can't afford a sick kitty because
we still want to be able to foster kittens and they have to have a
healthy maternal fostermama to help...
We went into the adult room and there were about thirty or forty cats
sprawled around the place. And as soon as you walk into that door they
come over nad start twining around you and trying to trip you up and
demanding attention. I loved a marbled brown tabby but she was
sleeping her morning away and she didn't want to be petted... two
kitties pounced on me for attention adn really took my eye - Kiri is a
slim little Russian Blue with gorgeous golden eyes, and she wanted to
be cuddled. She mrrped at me from the shelf next to the door so I
petted her and she purred, and then I picked her up. She snuggled down
happily for a few minutes but then she decided she wanted to climb up
my shirt and hang over my shoulder. When she started kneading I'd had
enough and asked her to get down but she wasn't interested in moving -
so she stuck her claws into me to stay where she was! OWIE! John
literaly had to pry her off one claw at a time, and I"m not sure if it
was because they were very overgrown or because she was very very
determined... either way I"m afraid she was a bit more cat than I can
cope with. I hope she finds a good loving home somewhere where she can
be the centre of attention because she was beautiful and purry - she
just doesn't like other cats much.
While Kira was demanding my attention, so was Spike - he was sniffing
my feet and licking my sandals and playing with the hem of my skirt
and meowing at me all the time, so I picked him up next and he settled
down nicely for a cuddlefest. He didn't want to be put down either,
but he was a lot more polite about it than Kira. After that they were
nose to nose with eachother and they did a big hisspit and told each
other off, then Kira retired to the far corner of the room to sulk
under the counter. I don't think that's a very good sign = they both
want to be bosscat and head of the feline household.
I also petted a little sweety called Ivory. She's a beautiful
silkysoft angora with no claws, and she was just wonderful. Sweet and
good mannered and cuddly, but alas very longhaired and in need of much
grooming.
The last kitty we played with was the most likely to become a member
of our household. Silver is six months old and she was in somebody's
house for awhile with her sister Scout, but then they were returned to
the shelter. I have no idea why anyone would want to give them up -
they're GORGEOUS! Silver is a confirmed lapfungus. She started purring
before I took her out the cage and you could hear it from the other
side of the room. She also purred happily when I gave her to John.
Alas her sister wasn't nearly so sociable. I'm not sure if she didn't
like us, or if she's not a people cat, or if she's just feeling
one-bitten about humans. She didn't want to cuddle - she leapt out of
John's arms and tried to get away Then I held her and she was okay
but not exactly happy about it. No purrs, and she leapt into her cage
when I went to put her back.

We didn't take anyone home with us, but we'll go back next week and
play with them again and see what happens. I want to get the house all
fixed up before we bring a feline into it - it doesn't seem fair to
bring them into an empty house and to keep changing things around them
- I think it would make them insecure and we want them to feel loved
from the beginning...

Old November 7th 04, 08:57 AM
MaryL

"Karen AKA KajiKit" wrote in message
The last kitty we played with was the most likely to become a member

of our household. Silver is six months old and she was in somebody's
house for awhile with her sister Scout, but then they were returned to
the shelter. I have no idea why anyone would want to give them up -
they're GORGEOUS! Silver is a confirmed lapfungus. She started purring
before I took her out the cage and you could hear it from the other
side of the room. She also purred happily when I gave her to John.
Alas her sister wasn't nearly so sociable. I'm not sure if she didn't
like us, or if she's not a people cat, or if she's just feeling
one-bitten about humans. She didn't want to cuddle - she leapt out of
John's arms and tried to get away Then I held her and she was okay
but not exactly happy about it. No purrs, and she leapt into her cage
when I went to put her back.

How about adopting both Silver and her sister? They are used to each other
and would have companionship. Scout is probably frightened. She will
probably "come around" if she is adopted, especially if she is in the
company of her more sociable sister.

MaryL

Old November 7th 04, 01:47 PM
Dan M

How about adopting both Silver and her sister? They are used to each other
and would have companionship. Scout is probably frightened. She will
probably "come around" if she is adopted, especially if she is in the
company of her more sociable sister.

MaryL

Yeah, what she said! I think getting both of the sisters would be better
for them, and better for you.

Dan

Old November 7th 04, 08:04 PM
Steve Touchstone

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 00:21:42 -0500, Karen AKA KajiKit
wrote:

Sorry this is so long, but I've got actual kitty-related information
to share and I'm excited about it

ohn took me to see the rescue kitties at Animal Aid this morning...
i've never been to a shelter before - there were so many sweet little
kitties there just dying to be loved... poor babies! they made me want
to pick them all up and cuddle them and take them ALL home to love...

Sounds like you and John will have lots to choose from. Guess that's a
good news/bad news situation, and we'll send purrs for you to find the
prefect kitty (or kitties), as well as for all the rest to find
forever homes where they can live good long heathly lives.
snip
We didn't take anyone home with us, but we'll go back next week and
play with them again and see what happens. I want to get the house all
fixed up before we bring a feline into it - it doesn't seem fair to
bring them into an empty house and to keep changing things around them
- I think it would make them insecure and we want them to feel loved
from the beginning...

Sounds live a plan, and I agree that whoever you choose will adapt
much easier if you're settled in before bringing them home.
--
Steve Touchstone,
faithful servant of Sammy, Little Bit and Rocky (RB)

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page: