Cat euthanization opinions wanted.

Old May 26th 09, 12:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

Default Topic changed Migraines

wafflycat wrote:

Certainly in what is very much an outdoor environment, it is possibly
excessive. Mind you, I was at a Rolling Stones concert years ago - held
in an open air stadium - and despite it being open-air due to so many
people being present, cigarette smoke and other less err... legal, forms
of smoke were not being blown away effectively so it's the only time in
my life I've smoked pot and it was secondhand smoke

It's not even as though many people even smoke at said event, or for
that matter in parks and play areas. Well, I don't spend much time in
children's play areas, but they're usually located right next to paths
etc., so I see them.

I sometimes wonder if the same degree of anti-smoking fervour will be
displayed against pot as against tobacco, if and when it's legalized! I
could never bear to try it, since the smell is, to me, if anything worse
than that of tobacco.

As for not
smoking where there are kids - I'm not sure that is excessive prohibition.

Well, I have strong opinions on whether or not people aged from, say,
mid-teens to age of majority should be treated as children. I realize we
can't have legal rights and so on tailored to the individual, so lines
must be drawn somewhere. But laws implying a 17 or 18 year old needs the
same protection as a child of 2 or 3 are hard for me to accept.

I also prefer individuals to make their own decisions about such things
as the use of a legal substance - especially in their own homes. But I
know many people, like you, disagree.

Cheryl
Old May 27th 09, 12:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Cheryl wrote:

I sometimes wonder if the same degree of anti-smoking fervour will be
displayed against pot as against tobacco, if and when it's legalized! I
could never bear to try it, since the smell is, to me, if anything worse
than that of tobacco.

I don't believe marijuana smoke is as harmful as cigarette smoke, but as
I remember, it does do some harm to the smoker. Not sure about 2nd hand.
Generally pot doesn't have all the additives that cigarette tobacco has.
But you do get tar in your lungs from smoking pot.

The thing is, most pot smokers don't smoke as often as cigarette smokers
do. Even if you're the sort of person who's stoned all day long, you
probably don't need to smoke more than 4 or 5 times a day to maintain the
high. Compared with the amount the typical cigarette smoker inhales - a
pack a day, or 20 cigs - I would expect the risks to be much lower. And this
comparison is with a very heavy pot smoker. I would expect most pot smokers
to have a much lower intake.

Again, this says nothing about second-hand pot smoke. I don't know much
about that.

Well, I have strong opinions on whether or not people aged from, say,
mid-teens to age of majority should be treated as children. I realize we
can't have legal rights and so on tailored to the individual, so lines
must be drawn somewhere. But laws implying a 17 or 18 year old needs the
same protection as a child of 2 or 3 are hard for me to accept.

What is the majority age in Canada? (Or is it different in each province?)
It sounds like it's 21. It also sounds like different privileges are
bestowed at different ages. I remember when 18-year-olds weren't allowed
to vote in the US - you had to wait until you were 21. Yet 18 year olds
could serve in the military. That's pretty inconsistent! And if someone
can fight in a war at 18, why isn't he allowed to drink alcohol?

--
Joyce ^..^

Old May 27th 09, 12:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

wrote in message

What is the majority age in Canada? (Or is it different in each
province?)
It sounds like it's 21. It also sounds like different privileges are
bestowed at different ages. I remember when 18-year-olds weren't
allowed
to vote in the US - you had to wait until you were 21. Yet 18 year
olds
could serve in the military. That's pretty inconsistent! And if
someone
can fight in a war at 18, why isn't he allowed to drink alcohol?

I really don't know, but I sometimes wonder. I don't mean to belittle
the sacrifice made by those in uniform.

But I wonder if they aren't safer in Iraq and Afghanistan on a
Saturday night than they would be here with a car and a six pack.

Jo

Old May 27th 09, 12:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

wrote:

I don't believe marijuana smoke is as harmful as cigarette smoke, but as
I remember, it does do some harm to the smoker. Not sure about 2nd hand.
Generally pot doesn't have all the additives that cigarette tobacco has.
But you do get tar in your lungs from smoking pot.

I was just talking more about the unsociable aspects of making an
unpleasant smell in a public place.

First- and second-hand smoke issues, and addiction issues, are separate,
really. I'd suspect firsthand problems in both cases, consider
secondhand smoke problems (health, not smell) to be largely unproven
except for some indications of problems with non-smokers who actually
live or work full-time in an enclosed atmosphere for many years, with
heavy smokers.

And I've known too many people who've had serious difficulty quitting
marijuana to believe that it doesn't pose addiction problems to
susceptible people.

What is the majority age in Canada? (Or is it different in each province?)
It sounds like it's 21. It also sounds like different privileges are
bestowed at different ages. I remember when 18-year-olds weren't allowed
to vote in the US - you had to wait until you were 21. Yet 18 year olds
could serve in the military. That's pretty inconsistent! And if someone
can fight in a war at 18, why isn't he allowed to drink alcohol?

Varies by province - either 18 or 19. Age to smoke, drink, drive and
have sex may vary as well, although often the age to buy cigarettes, or
buy or consume alcohol is the same as the age of majority. I think that
the age of criminal responsibility - whether you're charged at all,
treated as a youth or treated as an adult - is under the national
Criminal Code.

I can understand the reasons for having graduated steps to maturity -
that is, being legally able to different things at different ages. I
sometimes think that process should be extended, giving more
responsibility younger, but I concluded in the end that there's a lot of
variation among people, so it's probably best to have a single age
rather than try to determine maturity on a one-by-one basis.

Cheryl

Old June 2nd 09, 09:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"wafflycat" wrote in message

My FiL (died many years ago) was a chain smoker. Whenever we went to visit
him, my view was that it was his house and I never but never ask him to
not smoke because I was there - I went to visit him therefore I put up
with his smoking. He knew the adverse effect smoking had on me but he
would always smoke in my presence - but it was his house. If he ever made
comment that smoking never did anyone any harm I would point out the error
of his ways on that topic, but I would not bring the topic up first - it
was his house. Now in my house... it's a no smoking house. Neither DH, DS
or I smoke. When FiL came to visit he would get exceeedingly stroppy about
not being allowed to smoke in the house. His view was that I should
accommodate him as a guest in my house. He didn't like it when I said that
he had never offered me that courtesy in his house.. Wheh my smoking
sister came to visit she was the same - if she went more than 20 minutes
without a cigarette, she would get the shakes, be twitchy and very, very
grumpy. She would go out into the garden to smoke - fair enough. But she
still objected to not being able to smoke in my house - to the extent that
she cut short her visit by several days as she could not cope with not
smoking inside.

Her leaving was bad???? Seriously, I've been on both sides of the problem
and I just cannot understand the inability of people to be polite about the
whole thing.

Pam S.

Old June 16th 09, 05:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Cat euthanization opinions wanted.

m...

CatEyes wrote:

I think it's probably not a good idea to bring it up now since nothing
will change what happened, but definitely next time I would insist on
being there. I would strongly urge anyone with a cat at that point to
look into having a vet come to your home. I did with Bandit. I was
surprised that it only cost $80 - I would gladly have paid ten times that
amount just to know that she would be on her own bed, in her own house,
and held and petted by me as she breathed her last. It's a small enough
favor to do for a being that spends his or her whole life giving you
unqualified love.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Since, in the U.S., it's generally impossible to get HUMAN doctors to make
"house calls", I'm not sure how successful that request would be -
although perhaps in rural areas, where vets are accustomed to visiting
their bovine and equine patients at home, it might be more likely.

Come to think of it, though, I do remember that when the first cat I had
in California was displaying a cat-bite abscess, the vet I phoned DID come
to the house to treat him. However, that was way back in 1954, when
things were different. Also, the vet I picked out of the phone book
turned out to be one who specialized in larger, more exotic animals
(including lions and tigers) used by the movie studios.

My vets will do house calls if necessary, maybe because they are large
animal vets too. You can't have a cow come to the surgery after all.
It does cost more of course but I chose that option when it was time for my
beloved Minnie whippet to go to the Bridge at 20 years old.
I knew I would not be able to drive back from the surgery afterwards. I'd
have been crying too much, she was my heart dog, we were pretty well
attached at the hip.

So what happens if you live alone, you know this is your heart dog/cats last
appointment and your vet does not offer home visits?
Do you drive to the vets yourself, do the deed and then outside in the car
park weeping for hours?
Not at my vets you don't.
I once made the mistake of taking one of my whippets, Count, to be pts on my
own. He was only 9, he had skin cancer and I tried everything to save him,
he was taken to Cambridge University and had chemotherapy. I hoped it would
work, it didn't. I knew it was time when his lip split open and began to
bleed and the vet told me we had no more options.

I made the appointment, then I took him into the countryside 2 hours before.
He ran and ran and ran, loving it.

As the needle went in and he collapsed on the vets table I suddenly could
not stand it, so I ran outside, and the vet rushed after me to give
comfort..

Old June 17th 09, 06:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jun 16, 11:29*am, "Christina Websell"

m...

CatEyes wrote:

[...]

comfort..- Hide quoted text -

Doesn't seem that unusual to me -- after all, vets by nature should be
compassionate
people. My vet always waves me through the bill-paying process if I am
visibly upset--
he yells at the office girls "She can pay later."
One thing though -- I don't want surgery done onsite on any of my
large animals. They're set
up better at the animal hospital than they ever could be onsite. The
exception would be
calf or colt delivery. In fact, we usually take the livestock in for
most everything, since we
only have a small hobby herd, and they're just like big pets. They're
not hard to transport at all.

Sherry

Old June 17th 09, 07:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

CatEyes wrote:

[...]

You never know until you ask. My mother, who lived in Alaska, was able to
get a vet to come to the house to perform that final service. When Lindy
was near the end, I checked with my vet, and she will also do it.

Joy

Old June 21st 09, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ChildFree23[_2_]

snip

You never know until you ask. My mother, who lived in Alaska,
was able to get a vet to come to the house to perform that
final
service. When Lindy was near the end, I checked with my vet,
and she will also do it.

My vet doesn't make housecalls, but he is less than a block away
from where I live. Not meaning to brag, but I consider myself
VERY lucky.

ChildFree23
childfree23 at earthlink dot net

O.T. Need opinions Ann Cat anecdotes 0 January 30th 07 09:46 PM
[OT] Need Opinions / Help CatNipped Cat anecdotes 15 October 30th 06 01:28 AM
Need opinions Deltona Animal Rescuer Cat anecdotes 3 September 27th 05 10:24 PM
opinions on cat's weight wanted Judy F Cat health & behaviour 42 January 16th 04 03:09 PM