how many meals?

Old July 26th 09, 12:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chatnoir

Default how many meals?

On Jul 25, 2:00*pm, "cybercat" wrote:
"chatnoir" wrote in message

On Jul 25, 7:08 am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:

"chatnoir" wrote in message

On Jul 25, 5:57 am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:

"chatnoir" wrote in message

On Jul 24, 9:12 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:

"chatnoir" wrote in message

On Jul 24, 3:54 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:

"chatnoir" wrote in message

On Jul 24, 2:18 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:

"calvin" wrote in message

On Jul 24, 12:55 pm, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:

"calvin" wrote in message
Three meals a day (multiple flavors of Fancy Feast) plus
dry treats ('elevensies') just before my bedtime. Also they
(seven cats) have round-the-clock dry food to munch on
whenever they like, plus several water bowls, refreshed
daily. I'm spoiling them? You bet, and we all love it.

The problem with dry food is that it isn't "spoiling" them. Cats
should
not
have carbs. There is a much higher incidence of diabetes and
other
health
problems in cats that are fed dry food.

My cats prefer the canned food that they get for meals.
The dry food is for between-meal munchies when they
want something more, especially during the long 12-hour
stretch between supper and breakfast.

What I meant by spoiling them is having three meals
a day plus 'elevensies'.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Could you consider some other treats instead of leaving dry food
out?
cat
that munches all day could easily become a overweight. Twice a day
is
considered optimum, so it isn't necessary for a cat to munch
in-between.

MaryL

If you go out of town often, you have little choice but to leave dry
food out!

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Wrong! I hire a petsitter to come into my house twice a day. She had
fantastic references, and she is just as fantastic as everyone said.
have
used the same petsitter every year for the last six years (sometimes
more
than once a year). I would *never* leave my furbabies unattended. It
doesn't matter if food is out, or not--any manner of emergencies
could
occur, and they would not be taken care of if there is no one
available
observe and take action.

MaryL- Hide quoted text -

A monied one!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You do tend to make a lot of incorrect assessments, don't you?
Whatever
have is based on a working history of 42 years.

MaryL- Hide quoted text -

Nope! I know the costs and what I have!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - - - - - - - - -

Well, you certainly made an incorrect and unjustified assessment when
you
called me "a monied one."

I wonder how many people would find it acceptable to leave their
children
unattended and say it is alright if they just leave some food out for
them.
Clearly, none of use would do that, and my two cats are my furbabies. On
the other hand, I fully understand problems that arise when money is not
available. I went through many years of that, but it does not have to
cost
anything to have someone check on your cats when you are gone. I use a
professional pet sitter now. That certainly does have cost involved, but
if
you were to go back many years in my life to the era when I was a
graduate
assistant, I was literally living on poverty income. I *still* would
never
have left my cat to fend for himself when I was gone. I worked out
arrangements with a reliable neighbor, and we took turns checking on
each
other (and feeding cats) if we had to be out of town. When my cat became
ill, I worked out a monthly pay plan to pay for veterinarian fees. I
could
not afford a car at that time, so I took my cat in a carrier on the bus
and
then walked several blocks to get him to the vet. But I did not use my
lack
of financial resources to use my own convenience as an excuse for his
care.
In my entire life, I have *never* left my cats for more than a day
without
having someone check on them.

MaryL- Hide quoted text -

Let me see! Just spend 2000 dollars to have nebby's back legs from
popping out of the sockets! One year ago, I spent over 600 when Nebby
and Izzy developed allergic reactions to something in the food! Have
to buy expensive restricted diet foods! Two years ago, I spent over
6,000 dollar trying to keep Zippy alive when he developed hypertrophic
cardiomyopathy Lady you have no idea!

And all this came up because I said that a cat should not be left alone,
and
you responded by calling me "the monied one" because I use a pet sitter???

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Sheesh!

MaryL- Hide quoted text -

Yep! *Your view of course!

You are a jackass. Howdy, jackass.- Hide quoted text -

So are you!
Old July 27th 09, 04:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S

In my entire life, I have *never* left my cats for more than a day without
having someone check on them.

MaryL

I agree with MaryL here. I would NEVER leave our cats alone for more
than 12 hours without someone to check on them. I have friends who
could pop in and check on them, but two of our cats are on medications
and I can't rely on friends to give the meds (or they aren't
comfortable giving meds). I also hire a pet sitter to come in twice
per day.

Yes, this costs money, but we take this into consideration when we
travel (which isn't often lately).

Also, problems can come up in a short period of time! I once took care
of a co-worker's two cats. Upon my first visit to their house, one of
his cats had developed a nasty eye infection, which required a vet
visit and medication. You just never know what might happen!

Meals on Wheels Sara Cat anecdotes 0 October 2nd 08 12:20 AM
In Flight Meals jofirey Cat anecdotes 5 March 20th 07 04:00 PM
Meals On Wheels help elderly feed pets Joy Cat anecdotes 0 November 25th 06 01:44 AM
Why does cat whoops after meals.. J.L. via CatKB.com Cat health & behaviour 9 February 1st 06 02:10 AM
When to change to 2 meals per day? Al Kondo Cat health & behaviour 4 January 26th 04 05:10 AM